Sponsored

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Like a lot of chain retail, it can be so location dependent.
^^This. Took my R1T to my local Discount Tire shop for its first rotation & balance; not only did they charge me for it but I had to train their techs on how to service a Rivian (using the pucks I had; the shop didn’t have any). Couple of weeks after the rotation& balance I was back with a damaged tire - they pulled the spare out and mounted it, then ordered me an exact replacement 20” AT Pirelli. I didn’t believe them when they said it would be an exact match, but when the new tire showed up a few days later I had them roll it out to the truck to compare it to the OEMs and it was indeed a perfect match!
Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

It won't be too long before any decent local tire shop can rotate tires. Rivian not supplying jack pucks is the reason I designed my own (magnetic) pucks and have almost unbelievable sold thousands of them already.

I've used Bottle Jacks and Floor Jacks to rotate my tires and the bottle jack makes a road side repair simple. A forum member used the bottle jack version to do a tire plug on the road and never took the wheel off. Jacked it up, pulled out the nail, inserted a plug and refilled using the onboard air. Said he was done in less than 30 minutes. Every Rivian owner needs a set (shameless plug for ours).

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) 20230403_112108

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) Gen 2 Side Web

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) 20230407_154641

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) 20230407_155503

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Be careful with the Torx Locking nuts & bolts with Discount/America's (That's what they're called in CA) Tire. Our local America's Tire took the impact wrench to the Torx key for our Tesla Roadster and twisted it completely off. They said it was our fault as the bolts were over-torqued in the first place (They put said wheels on last time). It ended up being a 3-day ordeal getting a new key from the local Lotus dealer.

Morale of the story: ensure they DO NOT use the impact wrench on those locking bolts...hand torque only with the torque wrench.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Discount Tire rotations are free - at least they are in Arizona.
Thanks.

Hmm.. Discount Tires doesn't charge for tire rotations but Rivian does charge its customers. I'm feeling something is off ..

Sponsored

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

I use Americas tire as they have a road force balancer , both of my P cars have center lock wheels and I have to remove the axle nuts as they don’t have a 605nm torque Gun.

The road force is the best balance so far

GB

I will order the pucks for the Rt and I will have some Titanium Torx70 lug bolts made for the truck .

IMG_0210.png

IMG_0209.png
Got a link for bolts?

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
On ebay
Polished or Black
335.00 set on titanium

I mfg aircraft exhaust tailpipes in titanium among either items
quality is not expensive

Gee Bee

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) IMG_0212

diurnate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Junior Rocket Surgeon
Will Rivian mobile service do the rotation or do you have to take it to the SC?
Mobile service will do it - assuming you have an appropriate space. They weren’t able to rotate mine due to it being parked in an alley with a funny slope.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Rivian charged me $120 for 5 tire rotation.
ouch..

These are not small costs.
I sometimes think that why even bother to rotate tires to squeeze more mileages out of it. These rotation costs add up if I were to do it at every 5/6K miles. Why not just skip rotations and get a new set of tires a bit sooner instead ?

Sponsored

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I've always had great success with Discount Tire. I've got an appointment for new tires at my local Discount Tire this Saturday morning after pick up my new R1S Friday night. Going with BFG KO2 on factory 20s (LT275 /65 R20 126S E1 RBL Item #29042) for several reasons. Some day Discount Tire will buy almost new tires from you when you buy a new set - anyone here have any experience with this? If not I'm sure I can find a Rivian owner with an interest in them...

kpquinnus

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T El Cap
Occupation
Sales
How times have changed! 6 months ago they wouldn't touch my R1T. Good to know of the partnership.
Same, last summer I couldn
I've always had great success with Discount Tire. I've got an appointment for new tires at my local Discount Tire this Saturday morning after pick up my new R1S Friday night. Going with BFG KO2 on factory 20s (LT275 /65 R20 126S E1 RBL Item #29042) for several reasons. Some day Discount Tire will buy almost new tires from you when you buy a new set - anyone here have any experience with this? If not I'm sure I can find a Rivian owner with an interest in them...
Yes, they will buy your lightly used tires at a fair price. I also have 20's and almost 24k miles on my truck so I have been looking at tire options. Please provide feedback on the KO2's if you get time. Im curious to how they handle on the road compared to the factory Pirellis.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Same, last summer I couldn

Yes, they will buy your lightly used tires at a fair price. I also have 20's and almost 24k miles on my truck so I have been looking at tire options. Please provide feedback on the KO2's if you get time. Im curious to how they handle on the road compared to the factory Pirellis.
Search for K02 (or KO2) on this forum and there are several threads of mostly positive feedback. Same for several other popular tire types. I'll update after I have mine.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Nope. Free for everybody. They use it an an opportunity to check tire tread and sell you tires if you need them. Then they hope when you do need new tires you come back to them.

I think Costco Tire will only rotate if purchased from Costco.

It's a pretty reasonable service to try to get future business. Tire repairs are free at Discount, too. I've use those free services for years at Discount. They'll price match, too. I'll take my wife's Model 3 there for new tires, but when I need new tires on my R1T, I'll go to a specialized performance tire shop locally where they do a road force balance. I don't think Discount does a road force balance.
You're correct about Costco, and they will only rotate the tires that are already on the vehicle without charge. I found this out when I asked to them to swap out my A/S with a second set of wheels with snow tires (purchased from Costco) mounted. They charge $15/wheel to swap. Kind of curious because it's pretty much an identical amount of work either way.

Sadly, there are no Discount Tire shops anywhere near me.