lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

This was a bad week for tires in our house, had to get 4 tires for my wife's Q3 and then 4 for my A7. Let's just say not cheap. This had me thinking about tire protection plans for the rivian tires. I always get it on my cars because we have a few potholes here in the northeast and I would like to have the same for my Rivian.
Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
To the Rivian CS Batphones, Robin!

*queue the cheesy theme music*

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This was a bad week for tires in our house, had to get 4 tires for my wife's Q3 and then 4 for my A7. Let's just say not cheap. This had me thinking about tire protection plans for the rivian tires. I always get it on my cars because we have a few potholes here in the northeast and I would like to have the same for my Rivian.
Have you ever filed a claim on a tire protection plan? I live in Pennsylvania which is equal to or worse than NJ when it comes to potholes and road maintenance. We had a bridge fall down.... :rolleyes:

Since I've been driving 40+ years, I've never had tire damage that would have been covered, and the cost of tire protection plans over that time would have greatly exceeded the cost of several replacement tires over the same time frame. I don't see the value of a TPP.

One local tire center automatically adds TPP without asking when they prepare your final bill. You have to ask them to remove it. I find this offensive, they lost my business permanenty.

OP
OP
lefkonj

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I always get my tire replaced for free if it is damaged whether that be potholes, nails, curb hits whatever. Been that way for years, so has almost every member of my extended family. They just don't cover wear and tear which is expected.

After 20-30k miles I don't mind spending the money on new tires but I have hit potholes on new-ish tires and it is gone at 5k.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I am sure if you go into the right tire shop they will sell you a protection plan for your Rivianā€™s tires if you want one.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
They sell these plans because it makes them money. They make money because they pay out less than they charge.

Hard pass, for me.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Have you ever filed a claim on a tire protection plan? I live in Pennsylvania which is equal to or worse than NJ when it comes to potholes and road maintenance. We had a bridge fall down.... :rolleyes:

Since I've been driving 40+ years, I've never had tire damage that would have been covered, and the cost of tire protection plans over that time would have greatly exceeded the cost of several replacement tires over the same time frame. I don't see the value of a TPP.

One local tire center automatically adds TPP without asking when they prepare your final bill. You have to ask them to remove it. I find this offensive, they lost my business permanenty.
My favourite thing is tires not coming with road hazard coverage via their manufacturerer in OEM applications, so that a dealership can sell you something less useful.

Buy an identical tire from a tire store and youā€™re covered.

Iā€˜ve damaged a tire on a new car, had no coverage because it was an OEM supplied tire. Bought replacement, it came with free road hazard coverage when I registered the warranty with the manufacturer. ?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My favourite thing is tires not coming with road hazard coverage via their manufacturerer in OEM applications, so that a dealership can sell you something less useful.

Buy an identical tire from a tire store and youā€™re covered.

Iā€˜ve damaged a tire on a new car, had no coverage because it was an OEM supplied tire. Bought replacement, it came with free road hazard coverage when I registered the warranty with the manufacturer. ?
Yep. The vehicle manufacturer pays less for the tire without the warranty.
Sponsored