Sponsored

Tire Install/Rotation Locations in Southeast Michigan

Whyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Are there any tire shops or mechanics in Southeast Michigan that have Rivian jack pucks?

I'm going to order some winter tires. Usually I go to Discount Tire but they don't' have any Nokians in stock. So I will order the Nokians online and need to find a place that will mount and install them. Any one know of a place that has Rivian jack pucks? I'd rather not have to buy 4 pucks and bring them to a shop.
Sponsored

DetroitRed

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Edition
Occupation
Engineer
Following, I'm in Canton MI. I'm generally a DIYer, but with a new truck under warranty and that doesn't require as much maintenance as an ICE vehicle, I'm not sure I want to buy the jack pucks right now, either.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
FYI I called Rivian service on this exact issue over the weekend and they won't do aftermarket tire installs/rotations because they wouldn't be covered under warranty. So I am in the same boat, looking for options in the Denver area.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Did you end up getting snows this year?
I'm in the Port Huron area and have pucks if you are ever desperate and I'm down that way sometimes. I was pleasantly surprised how well the ATs handled our storms this year but definitely miss my old Nokians on a car half the weight.

I picked up the non magnetic pucks because I figured if/when I need them I'll need them quickly.

OP
OP

Whyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Did you end up getting snows this year?
I'm in the Port Huron area and have pucks if you are ever desperate and I'm down that way sometimes. I was pleasantly surprised how well the ATs handled our storms this year but definitely miss my old Nokians on a car half the weight.

I picked up the non magnetic pucks because I figured if/when I need them I'll need them quickly.

Thanks for the offer. I did not get snows this year. My plan is to next fall get a full set of wheels/tires from Rivian (https://rivian.com/gear-shop/p/20-in-all-terrain-wheel-and-tire-set) and have a local shop mount winter tires. Then I will get one puck and be able to install myself when needed.

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Thanks for the offer. I did not get snows this year. My plan is to next fall get a full set of wheels/tires from Rivian (https://rivian.com/gear-shop/p/20-in-all-terrain-wheel-and-tire-set) and have a local shop mount winter tires. Then I will get one puck and be able to install myself when needed.
I'm assuming you have 21's currently then? For one review in the area, the 20 ATs were remarkably competent during a couple storms this year both on unplowed highways and plowed ski roads up north. Not as good as my old Nokians on a car half the weight but maybe good enough to try a winter with if you don't want to get dedicated snows right off. And I'm the guy that always tells everyone to buy snow tires because you'll never go back. (Though I understand you are worried about an icy driveway twist and agree snows are your best bet for ice)

OP
OP

Whyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have the 20s. They have been good in deep snow and most conditions, but I've had a few occurrences where lateral traction wasn't great.

One time I was turning onto a side road at somewhat slow speed (10-15 mph) and the truck lost traction and slid sideways for several feet. This was in light snow conditions with a bit of ice. I think if I made that same turn in my F150 (with Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires) the tires would have slipped a bit, but the entire truck wouldnt have slid laterally several feet.

So in my opinion the tires arent bad, but once you lose traction the weight of the truck can cause you to slide laterally. And i hope some winter tires will reduce how often I lose traction.

I would say snows are necessary but I feel a greater need to get them than I did with my F150.
Sponsored