Chilbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 LR Discovery, 2011 WRX/STI, 2021 Palisade
Occupation
Cyber
Clubs

"After you've pulled the spare and tools from the trunk, before changing a tire on the Rivian R1T, first set the suspension to its max height, then activate Tire-Change mode from the Vehicle menu within the main Settings menu (gear emblem). This mode instructs the cross-linked hydraulic suspension from attempting any of its vehicle-leveling machinations during the jacking and tire-change procedures." -Motor trend

Do you guys think given the air suspension and hydraulic assistance(whatever that means) rivian could change 3 of the airbags to max height and then retract the one flat tire lifting it off the ground? Also WHY would tire change mode set the suspension to max height? You would have to need a taller jack and or crank it more.

Last, initially I was thinking maybe a pneumatic jack but even easier would be to add a Scissor Jack Adaptor to use with an impact gun / screwgun / or air ratchet (since we have the air compressor).
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Do you guys think given the air suspension and hydraulic assistance(whatever that means) rivian could change 3 of the airbags to max height and then retract the one flat tire lifting it off the ground?
It sounds like getting a horse to lift one leg off the ground so you can examine that hoof and shoe. It would seem to make sense that if you could take much of the weight off of the corner with the flat, it would be much easier to pull and replace it. ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
"After you've pulled the spare and tools from the trunk, before changing a tire on the Rivian R1T, first set the suspension to its max height, then activate Tire-Change mode from the Vehicle menu within the main Settings menu (gear emblem). This mode instructs the cross-linked hydraulic suspension from attempting any of its vehicle-leveling machinations during the jacking and tire-change procedures." -Motor trend

Do you guys think given the air suspension and hydraulic assistance(whatever that means) rivian could change 3 of the airbags to max height and then retract the one flat tire lifting it off the ground? Also WHY would tire change mode set the suspension to max height? You would have to need a taller jack and or crank it more.

Last, initially I was thinking maybe a pneumatic jack but even easier would be to add a Scissor Jack Adaptor to use with an impact gun / screwgun / or air ratchet (since we have the air compressor).
A while ago I asked CS if it can lift the tire to be replaced like a Citroen, given it has suspension that would do this. It doesnā€™t do that. But as far as I can tell, thereā€™s no mechanical reason why not.

definitely bringing along my Milwaukee Mangler if thereā€™s a high probability of getting a flat. Makes short work of running up a scissor jack or stupid pillar screw jack like my Land Rover has.
Rivian R1T R1S Tire Change Mode (3 wheels max height, flat one retracted) / pneumatic jack 1630505218884

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

What about the possibility of using the onboard air compressor for an Air Ratchet Wrench? You could throw one in with the spare and then there is no concern about keeping your 18V batteries charged. But, I guess it depends on the capacity of the compressor since they say you need 4-5 CFM @ 90PSI to run one.

OP
OP
obababoy

obababoy

First Name
Chilbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 LR Discovery, 2011 WRX/STI, 2021 Palisade
Occupation
Cyber
Clubs

What about the possibility of using the onboard air compressor for an Air Ratchet Wrench? You could throw one in with the spare and then there is no concern about keeping your 18V batteries charged. But, I guess it depends on the capacity of the compressor since they say you need 4-5 CFM @ 90PSI to run one.
Yeah I am not sure what the air compressor capacity is. I hope it is decent.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I doubt the onboard system will have enough SCFM for sustained use of air tools.

It's an electric truck with a massive battery. Charging up some 12V/18V tool batteries should be no problem.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Iā€™m very curious how the air suspension works. Depending on the mechanics, perhaps a wheel could be lifted after placing a stand under the appropriate jack point. The fact theyā€™ve included a program to lockout the computer from changing suspension height when jacking is great.

A nice ā€˜featureā€™ of Land Rovers with air suspension is putting the vehicle in off road height to change oils (still throw a stand under for safety), however a flaw is that any time you jack the vehicle one needs to remove the air suspension fuse or the computer goes bonkers. Iā€™m glad Rivian has addressed this pitfall of another similar system.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
They are using hydraulics to raise the suspension, but relying on weight/gravity to compress/lower it.
Using the hydraulics to raise a wheel is probably not possible in their design. Not that much different than an air shock in this regard.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They are using hydraulics to raise the suspension, but relying on weight/gravity to compress/lower it.
Using the hydraulics to raise a wheel is probably not possible in their design. Not that much different than an air shock in this regard.
rivian uses hydraulics for the anti roll system(think mclaren, or Toyotaā€™s KDSS).

They arenā€™t using hydraulics for height adjustment, itā€™s motorized air suspension, not unlike Mercedes and other systems.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Addendum: I asked Max Koff, who is the head of chassis development at Rivian about this.
he told me it canā€™t do that as it has too much droop travel relative to compression.
Rivian R1T R1S Tire Change Mode (3 wheels max height, flat one retracted) / pneumatic jack 1630519710565

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

A nice ā€˜featureā€™ of Land Rovers with air suspension is putting the vehicle in off road height to change oils (still throw a stand under for safety), however a flaw is that any time you jack the vehicle one needs to remove the air suspension fuse or the computer goes bonkers.
I donā€™t know which Land Rover you have, but if itā€™s like my LR3 you have to put it in off-road height before jacking the vehicle to prevent the computer from ā€œhelpingā€ you by going bonkers with leveling. I think this is kind of like what Rivian does via the special mode, This wasnā€™t a prominent note in my manual, but it is there. Hopefully youā€™ll never need to change a tire on your Land Rover again, but just in case this should be easier than pulling a fuse.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I donā€™t know which Land Rover you have, but if itā€™s like my LR3 you have to put it in off-road height before jacking the vehicle to prevent the computer from ā€œhelpingā€ you by going bonkers with leveling. I think this is kind of like what Rivian does via the special mode, This wasnā€™t a prominent note in my manual, but it is there. Hopefully youā€™ll never need to change a tire on your Land Rover again, but just in case this should be easier than pulling a fuse.
I have an LR3. Will need to look into this more, it could save a step. Right now, if I need more height to work on something beyond off-road height, then I leave it at Normal height, pull fuse, and then jack.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
It sounds like getting a horse to lift one leg off the ground so you can examine that hoof and shoe. It would seem to make sense that if you could take much of the weight off of the corner with the flat, it would be much easier to pull and replace it. ?
It should also help with jacking since you wonā€™t have to jack all the articulation out of the strut before the wheel starts lifting.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

It should also help with jacking since you wonā€™t have to jack all the articulation out of the strut before the wheel starts lifting.
Yep. Giddy up!
Sponsored