First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Rivian R1T
Occupation
None
Got in the truck over the weekend and was greeted with a low pressure reading in one of the tires. Upon closer inspection I found a screw embedded near the center of the tread block, source of the slow but steady leak. Used the handy compressor to keep the pressure up over the weekend until I could get to tire service center on Monday.

I called Rivian to see if there were any Rivian knowledgeable tire shops in Bend, but there are no official relationships. So I decided to take it to the shop the local Tesla service center uses. Turns out they had serviced several of the local R1Ts. But I didn’t know that before I got there so I decided I needed to know the procedure.

The right rear tire was the leaker so I went about removing the associated jack point body panel to make it easy for the shop. But getting these panels off is a bitch. The “gentle pressure” prescribed for pulling off the panel will get you nowhere. The clips holding the panel on are stubborn. And as foreseen in the manual one of the clips broke. Ugh.

I was not looking forward to the idea of removing these panels twice a year for the annual swap of winter tires on/off in fall and spring. Long story short…I get to the shop and they go “no worries, we just lift the truck under the control arms”. Just put the truck in tire change mode and up she goes. They used a basic 3 ton floor jack. Easy peasy. No fussing with body panels or pucks.
Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I was not looking forward to the idea of removing these panels twice a year for the annual swap of winter tires on/off in fall and spring. Long story short…I get to the shop and they go “no worries, we just lift the truck under the control arms”. Just put the truck in tire change mode and up she goes. They used a basic 3 ton floor jack. Easy peasy. No fussing with body panels or pucks.
That’s similar to how my truck was lifted for my tire repair and replacement. I called Rivian service and was told they recently formed an agreement with Pep Boys. The service rep called my local pep boys, sent them the service guide, and got me an appointment. In anticipation of them using the lift, I brought stuff with me to remove those panels but they instead used a 4-point hoist to gently lift the vehicle by the control arms so I didn’t have to fuss with the panels.

I was worried that it would mess up the alignment but no such issues arose and everything went smoothly. Tire patch and replacement took about 30 min and was free.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That’s similar to how my truck was lifted for my tire repair and replacement. I called Rivian service and was told they recently formed an agreement with Pep Boys.
Take it with a grain of salt, but I've been told by Rivian employees that the Pep Boys agreement has been canceled and they're looking for another partner.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Take it with a grain of salt, but I've been told by Rivian employees that the Pep Boys agreement has been canceled and they're looking for another partner.
I don’t doubt that you are right. Pep Boys did my repair for free but the manager said he could find no such account for Rivian in their database. I wasn’t really worried about it because it was only going to cost $30 if they had made me pay.
Sponsored