Timing of New Tundra with potential for plug-in Hybrid could hurt Rivian

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
Would a plug-in hybrid truck from Toyota pull many R1T buyers away? Just today Toyota announced a new Tundra for 2022 is coming and there is potential for a plug-in hybrid. My daily commute is 20 miles and I would seriously consider canceling my Rivian purchase if something like this became a reality. Anyone else feel the same?
Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Current Tundra has horrible MPG and the interior is 15 years out of date. They have a lot of catching up to do.

F150 electric and Cybertruck are bigger competitors.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
A fully refreshed Tacoma EV would be on my list. But to date, Toyota seems perfectly happy to continue producing trucks that have highly outdated interiors and even more outdated powertrains.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Don't be too quick to dismiss the appeal of a completely redesigned Tundra PHEV. Just look at the plug-in hybrid RAV4-Prime and how it kicks butt on everything else in that segment: most power, most electric-only range, faster, and exceptional fuel mileage for the ICE.

Toyota may just pull the rug out from under the truck EV segment with a properly conceived plug-in hybrid. Give it enough battery power/storage size to qualify for some EV tax credit (around 25-35 kWh). Give it a decent electric-only range of say 30-40 miles (or more) at speeds up to 75mph. Match it with a new twin-turbo V6 with all the fancy fuel pre-burn efficiency tech to achieve something like 30-35 combined MPG. Make it quick and let it tow upwards of 10k pounds.

I believe there's a significant truck buyer segment that wants to step toes into EV-land without having to make the full BEV commitment all-or-nothing decision. A full-size truck with around-town mainly electric drive efficiency, all other truck attributes and can drive along highways while towing a camper/boat just fine for 600 plus miles (or unlimited in full hybrid mode) will attract a ton of buyers.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If Toyota refreshed the Tundra earlier then I would have seriously considered one. But unless they absolutely blow me out of the water -- and let's be honest, it's Toyota, so they almost certainly won't -- then it's too little too late.

I'm going full EV.

Sponsored

tpkurt

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Software Developer
Ford just came out with F150 hybrid (not plug-in) and consumer reports got something like 1MPG more than the non-hybrid (perhaps because they targeted power, not MPG?).

One significant limitation of that model is that the max-payload is 300lbs less than the non-hybrid because the extra motor / battery counts against GVWR.

I almost purchased it until the dealer pointed out the max payload was 1492lbs which was a deal-breaker for me since I'm towing a trailer with 1000lbs tongue weight. Add me, my wife and my dogs and we'd have to empty our pockets to stay under weight.

I assume a plug-in hybrid would have a bigger battery and thus even more of a hit to payload? That may not matter to some, but if you're buying a Tundra, you're probably paying attention to utility...

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Ford just came out with F150 hybrid (not plug-in) and consumer reports got something like 1MPG more than the non-hybrid (perhaps because they targeted power, not MPG?).

One significant limitation of that model is that the max-payload is 300lbs less than the non-hybrid because the extra motor / battery counts against GVWR.

I almost purchased it until the dealer pointed out the max payload was 1492lbs which was a deal-breaker for me since I'm towing a trailer with 1000lbs tongue weight. Add me, my wife and my dogs and we'd have to empty our pockets to stay under weight.

I assume a plug-in hybrid would have a bigger battery and thus even more of a hit to payload? That may not matter to some, but if you're buying a Tundra, you're probably paying attention to utility...
If you put stuff in it and there is still air in the tires, then you're good to go!
Rivian R1T R1S Timing of New Tundra with potential for plug-in Hybrid could hurt Rivian 1621368134237

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
EVs compete with other EVs. Nobody is buying a Rivian because of fuel economy. It's for people who are moving towards an EV platform. A PHEV can appeal to buyers who want better fuel economy but it's rarely a great compromise.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Not for me. I currently have a 4-Runner for offroad stuff and Tesla for onroad. Rivian will replace both. 4-Runner was always an interim solution until a fully offroad capable EV was available. The time is... “soon”. ?

Last edited:

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Would a plug-in hybrid truck from Toyota pull many R1T buyers away? Just today Toyota announced a new Tundra for 2022 is coming and there is potential for a plug-in hybrid. My daily commute is 20 miles and I would seriously consider canceling my Rivian purchase if something like this became a reality. Anyone else feel the same?
No.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

If you put stuff in it and there is still air in the tires, then you're good to go!
1621368134237.png
Man! With really good low-profile tires and stout roll bars, put that thing on a 300-foot skidpad and, at 55 mph, it should be able to pull a good 0.0013g's before rolling over. ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

thedole,

Welcome to the Forums! It's good to see yet another Oregonian here! There's a good group of us here already, but it's always great to have more. I'm looking forward to the day when we can all get together and get to know one another.

Enjoy!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I test drove the Wrangler PHEV last week mostly out of curiosity. As a Bolt and Volt owner, it was definitely the worst of both worlds. The electric motor was barely enough to get up and go on it's own. If you push the throttle down too much in "electric" mode, it still kicks the gas engine on. It could sustain highway speed without gas but it chewed through the electric only range so quick it basically seemed worthless. If it came out before plugins were common, it would be a no brainer, but it gives up so much by being anemic under electric power.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

This is why I mentioned the Toyota RAV4-Prime PHEV earlier. That was done right. Many YT video reviews from auto-bloggers, magazines and actual owners that nearly universally praise it. It gives like 40 miles electric-only at real speeds. It accelerates faster than any other Toy except Supras. And its ICE gets great mileage in the high 30's/low 40's running in hybrid combo mode. Plus it still retains a smidgen of towing capability.

My point is that Toyota has already demonstrated the ability to design and deliver a "practical" and useful PHEV as small SUV. They might be able to do it in a full-size truck... maybe.

Plus, Toyota has put forward obvious signs there will be a full BEV Tundra around 2023-24. That does make Toyota late to the party obviously.
Sponsored