Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Really is not much difference between a 70-80k EV Truck and a 100k GMC Hummer and I would imagine if I placed both deposits today, I bet I would get the GMC first.
There's a bit of a difference, but they are similar. You could bet on GMC producing first for you, but we don't know Rivian's rampup capability.

I would never go for the hummer personally. Many of the highways in IL have a speed limit of 60mph for vehicles over 4 tons. Rivian comes in just below that.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Really is not much difference between a 70-80k EV Truck and a 100k GMC Hummer and I would imagine if I placed both deposits today, I bet I would get the GMC first.
Between 80k and 100k there is a pretty good delta of 20k but the difference is more than that.

The base price for the LE R1T is 73k the Base price for the initial released version of the hummer is 112,595, that is 39,595 delta before any options are applied. That is 54% increase over base, not sure about the cost of options available and what dealer markup might be required as well.

Rivian R1T R1S Time to delivery.... if I order now. 1635003435723

J2Y2Kwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford Explorer, '18 Ford Raptor, '16 STI
Between 80k and 100k there is a pretty good delta of 20k but the difference is more than that.

The base price for the LE R1T is 73k the Base price for the initial released version of the hummer is 112,595, that is 39,595 delta before any options are applied. That is 54% increase over base, not sure about the cost of options available and what dealer markup might be required as well.

1635003435723.png
Since the initial First editions are all reserved there really is not much you can do about that. The 2x and 3x is what you can reserve. I do not like the idea of white being the only color offered but the off road abilities of a full size rig is a lot better than what appears to be a Ranger class truck or it might be smaller than that. The Rivian looks promising but face it 15-20 grand is not much for what you get verses a Rivian truck or at least what they have shown so far.

evtrail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150-1996, Aprilia RSV4
Really is not much difference between a 70-80k EV Truck and a 100k GMC Hummer, and I would imagine if I placed both deposits today, I bet I would get the GMC first.
Why do you think so? Is there a data point that I overlooked? GMC has been even more silent and evasive than Rivian on their vehicle so far. All the tests are still on their controlled testing fields, with nannies inside each vehicle. Now it is true that GM distribution networks & factories are numerous and have experience, but they still are a couple of months behind, IMHO.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

1635003435723.png
Plus, Rivian has a $7,500 Tax Credit and GM has $0 (under the current Tax Code)

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
The general consensus is if the 1k is going to break you, a 70-80k vehicle probably isn't the best choice.
There are plenty of fish in the sea. Put another 1K on it and you are set:

J2Y2Kwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
the 7.5k incentive is nice, but what are the requirements for that. Does it come off MSRP?

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
the 7.5k incentive is nice, but what are the requirements for that. Does it come off MSRP?
It is a standard deduction, so you file for it with your federal income tax return. Then you will get to deduct up to $7500 off the total taxes you owe *IF* you have enough taxable income to utilize any or all of that deduction. IMO, it’s really irresponsible, even slimy, for automakers to advertise it as a price incentive as they do. It was especially shady with GM and Tesla pushing the tax incentive marketing along with the Bolt and Model 3 as a huge portion of their customers couldn’t take advantage as many middle-class households have maximized their deductions between mortgage interest, healthcare expenses, education, etc..

In addition to the Federal incentive, some states have incentives of their own. Some are also deductions others are credits. Those that are credits are issued as a rebate on the taxes you owe or as a refund if the incentive amount exceeds what you owe.

As for the Hummer EV, they are in pre-production now. Last we’ve heard, it will take them well into 2022 to deliver all of the Edition 1 Hummer SUTs. Then they will move on to EV3X and those deliveries *should* begin in late ‘22. EV2X models are not expected to enter production until 2023 with the Hummer EV SUV entering production late ‘23 as it is to be a 2024 model year. If you were to place a reservation now for an EV3X Hummer, there is a good chance you will be able to get it by the end of 2022 or early 2023. We don’t know how many reservations will stick around and ultimately buy.

Placing an order now for a Rivian R1T could work out with similar timing as an EV3X Hummer order. We’ll have a better idea of production rates in the coming weeks as more trucks get delivered and more information is released heading into the Rivian IPO. My personal take on it is that their R1 production line is capable of 150,000 vehicles per year. As of September 30, they had just under 49,000 reservations for R1T and R1S combined. A lower number than many of us expected, but I think the $1000 reservation cost really weeds out the less committed. It’s not like the Hummer, Cybertruck and Lightning where everyone seems to have put down their $100.

If Rivian can ramp up to 1/2 capacity on the R1 line within the next 6 months, they’ll be able to deliver all pre-ordered vehicles plus more by the end of 2022. And I think that is a goal they really need to strive for. Seeking an $80B valuation on their IPO, if they can deliver all of the trucks they have on order at the time of their IPO before the end of ‘22, it will go a long way toward upholding their stock value over the next year+. I’m trying to be cautiously optimistic about this and Rivian is being very tight lipped at the moment. I know they don’t want to over-promise anything. I also think that when Rivian Customer Service people are throwing out ballpark guesses for new orders of ”late 2023 to early 2024” they’re scaring people away and if it takes them 2 years to get through ~50K pre-orders, their stock is going to tank.

KurtP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Considering the significant price increases of Tesla over the last two years for the Model X (and others), I hope that Rivian will push to get their deliveries done as quickly as possible.
I am sure Rivian is aware of the coming competition in the premium EV space (especially for the R1S - which I am focused on), as such, I think that execution - features, quality, competitive price and schedule is going to help them stand out.

While Tesla has questionable quality (in my view), they have provided customers features and performance to ultimately become the market leader - that said, Tesla is turning off a lot of people with their hyper inflated prices :
https://electrek.co/2021/10/23/tesla-increases-model-s-model-x-prices/

It is a prime opportunity for Rivian to get their name out (tv ad spots) and show the refined SUV design that they have - for a better price.

J2Y2Kwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Monkey that is a very insightful post, I would be willing to order the Bronco EV or Hybrid if they offered it right now but they do not. The deals for vehicles that you could get just 10 months ago are gone. Now every one wants MSRP for anything new and used vehicles are sky rocketing. I could sell my truck right now for 10k more than paid for it. Customer service is a big issue and being able to deliver another issue. Something Musk has done well with Tesla. I bought Tesla stock when it IPO'd and it then split and looks like it will split again soon. The EV stock and tech stocks are going crazy.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It is a standard deduction, [snip] huge portion of their customers couldn’t take advantage as many middle-class households have maximized their deductions between mortgage interest, healthcare expenses, education, etc..
The $7,500 federal tax incentive is a tax credit, not a deduction.

As long as you have at least $7,500 in tax liability then you can take the full credit. If you have less than $7,500 of tax liability then you can effectively zero out your liability.

As far as mortgage interest goes, I don't think many people actually deduct this, anymore. The standard deduction is probably better for most households -- especially at the lower income levels that you imply would not qualify for the tax credit.

Some back-of-napkin math, leads me to believe:

For a single filer, that would be about $53,227.30 needed in taxable income to be able to take the full credit.

For married-filing-join, that would be about $65,791.70 needed in taxable income to be able to take the full credit.

If you're buying a $70k+ EV then I don't think it's a stretch to think most will have income in excess of those numbers. There are exceptions, of course... But most people.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
There are plenty of fish in the sea. Put another 1K on it and you are set:

Kinda neat. It's a bit ugly, but it reminds me how much I love Japanese mini trucks. I wish they were a thing in the US because I would absolutely buy one.

With that dinky truck, given how much it does have for 2k, it could probably be pretty neat for just a few thousand more (e.g. better welds, better materials, better lift, etc.).

Reactions: Max

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Plus, Rivian has a $7,500 Tax Credit and GM has $0 (under the current Tax Code)
Unless something changed, if the new one ever sees the light of day it'll be $0s for both because the people buying it make more than $75k a year and the car costs more than $40k. Not going to rant much more about it, but that's one of my biggest disappointments of the current political cycle is all the posturing around the EV tax credit.

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
We bought a model 3 to use for commutes also because of gas costs and also hov lane access.
The car drives well and has excellent range/efficiency but my wife refuses to get another Tesla. The seats are ok, not nearly as good as our SUV or my old car and the interior quality/materials are terrible. There are little plastic bits on the door that are separating and feel very cheap, just not holding up well for the age of the car and how we treat it. We expect it to have a long life, mechanically it's been sound but we don't expect it to look great doing so. Keep in mind, we have the first interior version, I don't know if the current resolves these issues.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Unless something changed, if the new one ever sees the light of day it'll be $0s for both because the people buying it make more than $75k a year and the car costs more than $40k. Not going to rant much more about it, but that's one of my biggest disappointments of the current political cycle is all the posturing around the EV tax credit.
In the past, all the tug of war, back and forth from various sides/perspectives has led to: nothing changing.
For prospective Rivian buyers, this would likely be the best outcome. Nothing floated (yet) provides more than $7,500 on the Rivian. Everything currently on the table reduces - or eliminates - it.

Unfortunately, the goal of those designing this bill is not to advance EV adoption. The goal is to get reelected and keep the $$ rolling in every year they run.
Sponsored