Time for a Lube Party... Dry Lube = answer to the tonneau cover issues

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
We've known for a few months now that CRC dry graphite lube is helpful/recommended on the rails of the tonneau. I had a can on the shelf when my truck was delivered and applied it shortly after the Rivian delivery guy left. Takes maybe two minutes to apply, stays where you apply it, and doesn't seem to attract dust. I have no expectation of it being a magic bullet but I am nearing 6 weeks with the truck and no issue to date. I cycled the tonneau about ten times yesterday between delivery of my spare and then doing other truck things.
Sponsored

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
Rivian should have shipped the trucks without the tonneau and promised to provide a solution by year's end. Sending your first 10K units out into the world with a large visible component that fails pretty much immediately for all to see is a great way to step on your crank. This approach also would have allowed third parties to offer something.

Regarding the redesign, IMO there is no way to design a cost-effective sliding and stacking mechanism sized for the current cavity that will be robust in the real world. Sure an inlet brush would help, but at the end of the day, requiring the entire surface of the cover to be clean to be able to access all of your bed is a poor design. I personally expect they abandon the power cover and move to only offering a manual cover, though the fact that they haven't shown even a concept sketch for how that will work is a bit mystifying.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

So what’s the difference between the powered and manual cover? Stacking vs rolling?

Edit: maybe I should watch a video before I ask stupid questions 😂

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

We've known for a few months now that CRC dry graphite lube is helpful/recommended on the rails of the tonneau. I had a can on the shelf when my truck was delivered and applied it shortly after the Rivian delivery guy left. Takes maybe two minutes to apply, stays where you apply it, and doesn't seem to attract dust. I have no expectation of it being a magic bullet but I am nearing 6 weeks with the truck and no issue to date. I cycled the tonneau about ten times yesterday between delivery of my spare and then doing other truck things.
I haven't done jack shit for my tonneau cover since delivery in March and have no issues now. Clearly doing nothing is the magic bullet. I don't even clean stuff off the top to retract it.

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
This is cracking me up, I think I am gonna try some lube now that I know how happy it can make me.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I feel oddly compelled to post in the lube party thread

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
After I posted here last night I had to take a shower.

Any particular solvent you used to remove all the lube? I assume it was blue.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So what’s the difference between the powered and manual cover? Stacking vs rolling?

Edit: maybe I should watch a video before I ask stupid questions 😂
I have yet to see any pics or video of the manual cover, but the website says this:

Tonneau
We have two lockable tonneau cover options, both of which will protect against light weather. Our powered tonneau cover integrates into the truck and slides automatically with a touch of a button. It can also be operated remotely through our app. Our manual tonneau is easily removed in four lightweight panels that store in the Gear Tunnel.

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I have yet to see any pics or video of the manual cover, but the website says this:
Ah yes. Extremely different concepts. Thank you
I have a Retrax on my Raptor. Rolls into a box behind the cab. Works with leaves and dirt on it. Secure hood looking system but takes a good amount of space.
Not sure why Rivian can reproduce a similar design.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Any particular solvent you used to remove all the lube? I assume it was blue.

Solvent would work, but I just used one of these

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I haven't been able to find the CRC lube -- out of stock, everywhere. Rivian must be hoarding it for their service centers.

I did order a can of the WD-40 stuff... We'll see if that helps. My tonneau is working -- I want to keep it that way.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I sprayed the tracks with Ballistole back in March. I haven't had any problems yet ...................Maybe today?
Sponsored