DaveA

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Its pretty common it seems. Some say they didn't even notice it till I pointed mine out, so....maybe just don't look too hard. I'm sure there are some people that don't notice it at all. It is hardly seen under cloudy conditions.
Sponsored

sjg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram 1500
Is LA Silver the only color with this issue? I've tried to do some searching on chat groups and facebook. I have not seen it mentioned for any other color.

OP
OP
DaveA

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Is LA Silver the only color with this issue? I've tried to do some searching on chat groups and facebook. I have not seen it mentioned for any other color.
As far as I know, yes. Could be happening with El Cap, but since its darker, probably not very obvious. All the other colors are very flat, so probably not an issue.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

I have some "clouds" for lack of a better word in my blue - mostly on the hood, I think one of the passenger doors. Mostly visible in the brighter sun (or possibly when it has gotten hot)

Don't know if that is related. They are going to look at it when truck goes into service center. Circled it here. Almost a smudge, but not. Maybe 4 or 5 of them that I have seen.
Rivian R1T R1S Tiger stripes in hood paint Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 1.21.14 PM

OP
OP
DaveA

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have some "clouds" for lack of a better word in my blue - mostly on the hood, I think one of the passenger doors. Mostly visible in the brighter sun (or possibly when it has gotten hot)

Don't know if that is related. They are going to look at it when truck goes into service center. Circled it here. Almost a smudge, but not. Maybe 4 or 5 of them that I have seen.
Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 1.21.14 PM.png
Same…had those on the rear passenger door…

Rivian R1T R1S Tiger stripes in hood paint 574FA7DE-C42E-4E19-BF29-A7F93FBE1770

Sponsored

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Same…had those on the rear passenger door…

574FA7DE-C42E-4E19-BF29-A7F93FBE1770.jpeg
That looks like the spot I have on the rear passenger door as well. The picture I had above was from the hood.

The plot thickens!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

How long after you received your R1T before you noticed this stripes? I have LA Silver Pre-order and nervous about this. Estimated delivery 1H2023 so hopefully they have this ironed out before i get mine.
If the LA stripes are widespread, and Rivian doesn’t have the LA paint issues figured out in the next couple months (realistically s00ner) they should offering the color, even though it’s a free one, and give a credit towards another color. Fixing a free color paint job has to be more expensive than offering a premium color that doesn’t need fixing.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The number of re-spray's could be minimal. Tesla had huge problems with white the first couple of months of Model Y production. While us supper-fussy forum members easily spotted every defect with a keen eye, every-day Tesla owners seemed kind of indifferent to the defective paint jobs and just let it slide with no repaint demanded. To some, these are just conveyances to get us to and from places....

OP
OP
DaveA

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The number of re-spray's could be minimal. Tesla had huge problems with white the first couple of months of Model Y production. While us supper-fussy forum members easily spotted every defect with a keen eye, every-day Tesla owners seemed kind of indifferent to the defective paint jobs and just let it slide with no repaint demanded. To some, these are just conveyances to get us to and from places....
Well, it is just a vehicle, but its an expensive vehicle…and if you just let bad quality work slide and accept it, then big companies/manufacturers will continue to let it happen.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I wonder if these issues will put LA Silver batching behind other colors. Since Rivian says they are now batching production, I could see a scenario where LA Silver is pushed back, which would be very disappointing for those waiting for the color.

Sponsored

jrgutier

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I’m also getting striping service on my LA Silver. They’ll be taking it away after my road trip Memorial Day weekend, since they could not guarantee return by then. Giving me a rental.

Rivian R1T R1S Tiger stripes in hood paint 27AB5FC5-672F-4B69-8EF2-2D874F0C6743

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm not dealing with tiger stripes, but Rivian is repainting the hood on my Red Canyon R1T. They told me it would take 3 weeks (or longer), so I'm watching how your experience goes @DaveA

I was supposed to take delivery today. My guide read me the report from the Service Center but she said she was "not a car person" and wasn't sure what it meant. She sent me the photos of the damage. As far as I can tell: my R1T made it to the Service Center in Denver. During the final pre-delivery inspection they found that the hood paint had a scuff (presumably from transit). They attempted to buff out the scuff, but in the process they burned through the clear coat of the paint and created even more damage. Now my truck has to go to a body shop for a respray of the hood, and they canceled my delivery with less than 24 hours to go. I don't even get to take delivery of my truck yet after paying for it and paying for insurance on it.

I'm hopeful that they can send it to a local body shop here in Colorado, and it doesn't need to go all the way back to Normal.

I've asked Rivian to tell me who is doing the repair and when they plan to do it. I've also asked Rivian to confirm that my truck is still "in transit" under the Purchase Agreement, so I'm covered on any other damage that might happen over the next few weeks.

Please let me know if anyone has other ideas of what I should be requesting from Rivian. I still have my ICE car. Shit happens, but obviously I'm disappointed after waiting 2.5 years and being so close to "Soon."

Rivian R1T R1S Tiger stripes in hood paint Image from iOS (47)
Rivian R1T R1S Tiger stripes in hood paint 1651851368667

OP
OP
DaveA

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm not dealing with tiger stripes, but Rivian is repainting the hood on my Red Canyon R1T. They told me it would take 3 weeks (or longer), so I'm watching how your experience goes @DaveA

I was supposed to take delivery today. My guide read me the report from the Service Center but she said she was "not a car person" and wasn't sure what it meant. She sent me the photos of the damage. As far as I can tell: my R1T made it to the Service Center in Denver. During the final pre-delivery inspection they found that the hood paint had a scuff (presumably from transit). They attempted to buff out the scuff, but in the process they burned through the clear coat of the paint and created even more damage. Now my truck has to go to a body shop for a respray of the hood, and they canceled my delivery with less than 24 hours to go. I don't even get to take delivery of my truck yet after paying for it and paying for insurance on it.

I'm hopeful that they can send it to a local body shop here in Colorado, and it doesn't need to go all the way back to Normal.

I've asked Rivian to tell me who is doing the repair and when they plan to do it. I've also asked Rivian to confirm that my truck is still "in transit" under the Purchase Agreement, so I'm covered on any other damage that might happen over the next few weeks.

Please let me know if anyone has other ideas of what I should be requesting from Rivian. I still have my ICE car. Shit happens, but obviously I'm disappointed after waiting 2.5 years and being so close to "Soon."

Image from iOS (47).jpg
1651851368667.png
Are they respraying the hood and the fender? Looks like the burn is on the fender. I feel for you man, so frustrating.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Are they respraying the hood and the fender? Looks like the burn is on the fender. I feel for you man, so frustrating.
I guess your right. Hood and fender. I don't have any other real information than the photos

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T

Image from iOS (47).jpg
1651851368667.png
Really sorry. That stinks to hear. Hopefully they get it fixed correctly and soon. I can only imagine how disappointed you must be.
Sponsored