Sponsored

Thread for the grizzled. Who had NOT changed their configuration yet?

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
I had two reservations. One LE R1T and a similar Adventure Max pack R1T. I canceled the Max pack reservation because I felt that was a way to send a message to Rivian. I did keep my LE order and played around with only getting what I thought was essential. In the end I never saved/changed my configuration.

I consider myself fortunate to be able to afford the price increase. My gripe is/was that others that ordered/reserved after me got the original price.

I don’t think I will reinstate my order for the Max pack truck though.

If Rivian wants to use the “we are a different company” mantra we need to hold them to it.
Sponsored

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
I didn't change anything, although I was planning to drop the underbody shield and tent, but add crossbars.

Sooo, in other news. Since the underbody shield is listed as "adventure gear" now I'm assuming we can remove it without causing any delays?
Interestingly I thought of you when I saw that. ?

tnawara

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance 2022
I updated my config only to change my color from FG to LG and my interior from OC to BM (both for minor cost-saving reasons).

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I was going to rug-pull them back. Take delivery, drive it, then return it. If they changed the return policy before delivery I would just cancel at the very last minute. Didn't change my config at all but had no intention of keeping the truck at that price.
Hope they figure out who you are and do the same thing to you. Show up with the truck and say "oops, sorry, this truck is already sold to someone else"

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Interestingly I thought of you when I saw that. ?

Haha, I must have maybe 30 posts about the mysterious underbody shield. I think since we all get tow hooks now AND it's listed as gear I might remove it.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Since they pulled the front tow hooks out of the off-road package and had raised the price of the charger I had removed those 2 items from my configuration.

I already have a charger so did not really need to replace it and really only wanted the tow hooks. In the long run, they may have just saved me 2500 dollars.

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

I never changed my configuration. I got on with CS chat and THEY told me what my new price would be.

LE R1S LG OC. I have a May-June window in Portland Oregon.

While confident SOME change would occur after the price hike, the facts are a monumentally bad decision passed MANY meetings, the board, emails were drafted, and web pages created to implement this.

I don't see RJ taking personal responsibility or addressing how their flawed process is getting changed. Where is the "I" in his letter that took two days of market turmoil to produce?

I will wait until my Guide contact begins and then seriously measure my level of confidence in their comms, changes, and actions post 3/1. They have been failing for a while now and they have a long way to go before May.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
For those who kept their order as it was on 2/28, why did you stick with it? Did you still see it as a great value even at the higher price? Did you feel there would be no other vehicle that could complete with the R1 anytime soon? Or like me are you just someone who will wait to make decisions whenever possible?
I didn't change anything, since I'm in the same boat as you - my delivery time is late 2023, so I saw no reason to panic. I hoped they would make it right, and I'm very pleased with how they did it.
I don't think there is any real competition for my needs, and I have a perfectly good Lexus right now, and I work from home, so I barely drive for anything apart from recreation. I don't feel the need to order something else, so no reason to cancel.

It remains to be seen how the company will weather this. They've kind of painted themselves into a corner now - it will be harder to justify even a modest price increase now that they've walked it back once. Hopefully they can regain customer trust and keep the orders coming in at the new higher prices. I do hope they've learned something from this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Basically the same. I wouldn't buy at the new price, others may disagree but I don't think it's the appealing value pushing six figures as it is hovering around 80, but no reason to rush to make changes.

This decision always felt like either a huge mistake or a calculated decision to take Rivian in a very different direction. If it was a mistake, they had no choice but to fix it. If a calculated decision, I'd just cancel later.
Agree 100%. They will have to work hard to regain trust, but many here probably put Rivian on a pedestal, assumed they would never treat their biggest fans this way. I’ve been burned so many times by companies I wasn’t in that group but it was still very disappointing. Now we are all back down on planet earth again.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Hope they figure out who you are and do the same thing to you. Show up with the truck and say "oops, sorry, this truck is already sold to someone else"
Lol, why are you simping for a corporation?

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I didn't change anything, since I'm in the same boat as you - my delivery time is late 2023, so I saw no reason to panic. I hoped they would make it right, and I'm very pleased with how they did it.
I don't think there is any real competition for my needs, and I have a perfectly good Lexus right now, and I work from home, so I barely drive for anything apart from recreation. I don't feel the need to order something else, so no reason to cancel.

It remains to be seen how the company will weather this. They've kind of painted themselves into a corner now - it will be harder to justify even a modest price increase now that they've walked it back once. Hopefully they can regain custom trust and keep the orders coming in at the new higher prices. I do hope they've learned something from this.
The next couple years will be interesting for sure. They could have split that difference and those of us who reserved more recently saw some kind of increase (I expected it at some point), but now they had to go overboard to fix something they could have avoided in the first place. Business is a contact sport!

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
And here I thought you were going to go for that new fandangled Tesler Siber truck ;)
Well of course. They said they'll have it ready and parked outside my apartment on the Mars colony. :like:

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Held on...R1S Explorer...hoping things would change. Hope they keep the 5 seater, I don't want nor need the extra weight in the back. I want the Sand interior, but not as an upgrade. I don't like black interior, gets too hot. I hope they keep the White as afree option.
The way I understood that email they planned to put your reservation back as it was if that’s what you want. I’m glad you turned out to be right about them changing their mind on this. I wasn’t so sure on that…

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Haven’t they already been doing that with deliveries to employees who just started instead of 3+ year preorders?

Regardless, turnabout on Rivian here - screwing them over based on a clear contractual right - would have been fair play given that they relied on a similar basis for the now-rescinded price hikes. So no Rivian retaliation would be warranted even in a tit for tat world.
Sponsored