First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Amazon needs to come pick up their vans. They are clogging everything up!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
At this point, the Normal plant should moonlight as an Amazon distribution center.
They probably don’t want all those urine filled water bottles from the drivers sitting around.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Rumor: 3rd shift starting soon

I can see hiring to start but three shifts are not needed to run a factory at 50% capacity for the R1 vehicles.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
50k / year production means ~1k / week.

If it takes ~4 weeks from VIN assignment to delivery (and it does ...) that means there will be a week or two of buffer on the lot between production and shipping.

It is really no surprise to see 1k vehicles on the lot, as that is expected. Compare that to a traditional dealership, with 1000 dealers across the US each having 10 or more vehicles on the lot.

The Rivian way seems more efficient to me, even if the optics suggest they have a backlog.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
They probably don’t want all those urine filled water bottles from the drivers sitting around.
Sadly, one of those has been in my front yard for a few weeks now. Can't get up the courage to pick it up to throw away. ::vomit::

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Sadly, one of those has been in my front yard for a few weeks now. Can't get up the courage to pick it up to throw away. ::vomit::
That’s so rude! Pack it in - pack it out applies to urine bottles too. 👎

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I can see hiring to start but three shifts are not needed to run a factory at 50% capacity for the R1 vehicles.
Their target production rate for the end of the year is 100%. Gives them half a year to get the 3rd shift up and running and iron out any bumps added by the additional shift.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Their target production rate for the end of the year is 100%. Gives them half a year to get the 3rd shift up and running and iron out any bumps added by the additional shift.
I doubt the target rate by December is full production which equates to 7000 a Month since they would continue to ramp during 2024. It makes sense to start hiring but no way the third shift make any meaningful impact until Q4 at the earliest.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I doubt the target rate by December is full production which equates to 7000 a Month since they would continue to ramp during 2024. It makes sense to start hiring but no way the third shift make any meaningful impact until Q4 at the earliest.
there's a slight semantic difference. The factory reaching 100% production rate, in terms of capability. IE if there were no supply constraints and demand was saturated, the factory could produce X veh / week. In the past they've slowed/stopped the line and then gone full speed to test the rate.

It isn't that they will be running the factory at that rate for any extended period of time. It is just a milestone essentially. I haven't seen any guidance that has said they will miss their projected ramp up.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
50k / year production means ~1k / week.

If it takes ~4 weeks from VIN assignment to delivery (and it does ...) that means there will be a week or two of buffer on the lot between production and shipping.

It is really no surprise to see 1k vehicles on the lot, as that is expected. Compare that to a traditional dealership, with 1000 dealers across the US each having 10 or more vehicles on the lot.

The Rivian way seems more efficient to me, even if the optics suggest they have a backlog.
I chose to convert my Nov 2018 reservation into a purchase from the shop. The truck shipped from Normal to Richmond. Total of 13 days to take delivery and that included a holiday weekend.
Sponsored