Sponsored

Thoughts on seeing a Rivian in person for the first time....

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Thanks for all the detailed info, @bajadahl !! I got the chance to meet the same team you did, Monday night out on South Congress. Like you, I experienced the awkwardness of taking any detailed photos and wanted to respect their wishes. Once I told them I was a Launch Edition Preorder holder, they opened up and were more eager to chat and share the excitement of the truck! I got to ask them several questions and poke around the exterior and interior of the truck, like you did.

Some thoughts from my interaction with the team...

I asked a few questions about Launch Green specifically and they let me know that the final color has not been decided, as of yet. They have a few iterations with a flat green, grey green and a brownish-green that they're still deciding on... which is why we haven't seen a picture of it yet ;).

The LA Silver has a slight blue undertone that was striking in person and is different from any other silver that traditional OEMs have out today. I am not a silver fan, either, but it impressed me. They also said the Canyon Red looks best on the R1S and the Yellow is actually one of their surprise favorites on the truck.

I also confirmed with them that the yellow clips with the door pocket inserts in the configurator will be in the production trucks, not the mesh we've seen in the pre-production vehicles.

The key fob is also a cool piece, as it has the built in carabiner with the buttons arranged in a circular shape. When they unlocked the vehicle, the lights front and rear do the very similar dance that you see on the Audi E-trons today, the door handles pop out from their flush position (all 4 door handles have illumination underneath) and the Rivian Puddle Light shows. When locking the vehicle, the door handles have an almost mechanical sound to them and shut pretty quickly and securely. We had a Range Rover Velar in our house for a few years and those door handles (when they worked) were electronic and did not feel as secure as the Rivian's did.

Approaching the vehicle, you do feel it is taller and bigger than expected, give the size of the wheel/tire combo. They confirmed that the off-road 20s will not come with the carbon-fiber (or any material) inserts from the 2018 LA Autoshow debut. The 21s will have the removable inserts.

The inside of the truck feels as luxurious as the configurator and the cabin size feels a slight degree smaller than the F150/Ram/Chevy 1500 crew cabins. The materials all felt top notch and the microfiber headliner looked excellent in the Forest Edge interior.

They also demonstrated that the roof racks are lockable via a key, which I know was a question thats been thrown around. The doors to the gear tunnel require a press of the button on the bed rail and then a hand to open the panel from the body of the truck.

The 20in off-road rims/tires (non-black) do have a two-tone grey and silver appearance to them thats different that the configurator and more noticeable in person.

On this particular truck, the gear tunnel doors did have a ribbed plastic on them that was different from the Chilewich mats we've seen in earlier iterations and different from the flush panels with no inserts from the Wyoming video. They didn't confirm if this new ribbed plastic would be production or not...
Don't suppose you noticed if they had lighting in the gear tunnel or not? I asked CS recently and they said they didn't know if there would be lighting in the tunnel as seen previously, but that you could open the far side to be able to see through. Wasn't super happy with that answer.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Don't suppose you noticed if they had lighting in the gear tunnel or not? I asked CS recently and they said they didn't know if there would be lighting in the tunnel as seen previously, but that you could open the far side to be able to see through. Wasn't super happy with that answer.
Considering how "cheap" a few LEDs are, I'd be pissed if they don't include it.

Same in the frunk and in the bed.

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

The Q&A with a guide that had been posted (http://crusticamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Rivian-QA-Notes.pdf) indicated that it wouldn't which would be disappointing.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I would have much preferred to meet them on South Congress.... lol I felt I was interrupting a formal event down at the Capitol... but maybe that's more about me.... As it was I was just trying to be extra respectful of the event and back away anytime a group of lawmakers walked up but they did include me in the conversation from time to time which was really cool. I showed one of Representatives a picture of the expected the RAN charging network when he asked about it.... LOL- I was the only one with a picture of the map readily available on my phone..... Dang lobbyists were slipping! lol
Alan,

It’s great that you were able to participate with the legislators. While I’m sure they loved visiting with the lobbyists and Company people, hearing from one of their own, a fellow Texan, especially one as excited about Rivian as you are, can only help get them to address the issues that Rivian is facing.

I’m guessing you had a great time doing it. I wish I could’ve been there.

Thanks again to you and jsidell for all of the pics and narratives over the last couple of days. It’s much appreciated!

OP
OP
bajadahl

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Yes - there was indeed a light bar in the gear tunnel. Very similar to the light bars in the bed. I’ll see if any of my pictures captured the lights in the bed. Yep - here.... very similar light bar was in the gear tunnel.

*Edit- I did not ask if they were in the final production config. But I noted them out loud and the Rivian rep did not say anything about them being cut from the configuration either.

Rivian R1T R1S Thoughts on seeing a Rivian in person for the first time.... 21472F68-6485-4F87-B10D-26D3C14FD7A3

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yes - there was indeed a light bar in the gear tunnel. Very similar to the light bars in the bed. I’ll see if any of my pictures captured the lights in the bed. Yep - here.... very similar light bar was in the gear tunnel.

*Edit- I did not ask if they were in the final production config. But I noted them out loud and the Rivian rep did not say anything about them being cut from the configuration either.

21472F68-6485-4F87-B10D-26D3C14FD7A3.jpeg
I thought it would be odd for them to have cut it considering how obviously useful it would be. I had also seen it in some photos posted by someone bumping into RJ randomly in January? and him letting them take a few quick pics of the interior and gear tunnel (with lighting)

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

21472F68-6485-4F87-B10D-26D3C14FD7A3.jpeg
I thought it would be odd for them to have cut it considering how obviously useful it would be. I had also seen it in some photos posted by someone bumping into RJ randomly in January? and him letting them take a few quick pics of the interior and gear tunnel (with lighting)
Rivian R1T R1S Thoughts on seeing a Rivian in person for the first time.... CCFD2524-3986-4706-B8CD-C8A1DDA8CB64
Rivian R1T R1S Thoughts on seeing a Rivian in person for the first time.... CCFD2524-3986-4706-B8CD-C8A1DDA8CB64
Rivian R1T R1S Thoughts on seeing a Rivian in person for the first time.... 5926AD25-DCC7-4C83-AAE3-151D111FBE07
Rivian R1T R1S Thoughts on seeing a Rivian in person for the first time.... 43BD6635-14D1-4B05-978B-A1C9B621F83D

These were the photos from the run in posted in the real photos rorum. (notice the door handle lighting as well)

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I found it interesting that they chose to drive a Max Pack across the country.... Read into that what you will... but Texas is a very big state.
I'm surprised they already have a max pack pre-production version built. Maybe it's ahead of schedule. I'm thinking for sure I'll get my max pack R1T this year... and it'll also be a Launch Edition

Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm surprised they already have a max pack pre-production version built. Maybe it's ahead of schedule. I'm thinking for sure I'll get my max pack R1T this year... and it'll also be a Launch Edition
If that happens before the R1S and is possible, then I'm switching my order to an R1T

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I wouldn't get my hopes up for max pack this year.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The limitation is not that they can't produce max packs, but rather the battery production capacity is not ramping as fast as the vehicle production capacity. For every 2 max packs they build, they could build 3 large packs. That's 50% more trucks they can sell this year by not offering the max pack. For pre-production this is a non-issue, as they are only building one vehicle per day and can easily put together some with max packs without affecting volume.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

That's not possible. Max Packs and Launch Editions are NOT a thing.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I am going to try to put into words my thoughts on seeing the Rivian in the Metal for the first time. While it was very exciting for me it was also very tough because while I wanted to ask many questions and quiet frankly some difficult questions I believe this event was not meant for pre-order holders. This was really an event for lawmakers. There were two Rivian employees at the event but there were at least 5-6 Rivian hired lobbyists trying to talk to lawmakers. The two Rivian employees were an engineer and marketing director. Both seemed very busy with conference calls while the lobbyists did the schmoozing with the lawmakers. I was clearly a third wheel but when they had time they answered my basic questions.

On that note I didn't ask many of the questions I would have if it had been a more customer focused event. Yes - I noticed the crooked charging door but I didn't bring it up... not the right time... I also noticed the horribly saggy door mesh pockets (no pictures) because no interior pictures allowed. Those door pockets do not belong in an $80k car.... I don't think they belong in a 40k car.

Things I "think" I learned....

The door handles are always presented when the doors are unlocked....
unlocked = presented
locked = sucked in
It's that simple. What I didn't get answered... when do the doors automatically lock and is that programmable? My guess is probably. some systems lock when you put the car in drive and others once you hit a certain speed. I didn't ask this question today. However, I know we have all seen video of the R1T on highway at "speed" with the handles out... this leads me to believe it is completely programmable...

Where exactly are the 10 camera's - (my thoughts in Parens)
Front Lower Grill
Front Top Windshield
Sides - Rear Facing behind both Front Tires
Sides - 2 in each mirror - Forward and side facing
Back - in the middle of the 3rd brake light rail (bed security)
Back - above the license plate. (hitch camera/backup camera)

Do the camera's work when off road to show you terrain around the vehicle. I was told yes this is still a feature. Aside from some early video that showed this in a simulator they haven't publicized this as a feature as far as I know... It was one my burning questions.

The size of the R1T is really exactly what I imagined but the bed seems quite a bit longer when opened and shorter when closed. That hinge system creates several extra inches more than what you'd expect an open tailgate to provide.

Interior - It's still a freaking state secret.... They just don't have it locked down enough to trust pictures in the wild... and I know that drives everyone crazy. While I was invited to look I was not allowed to sit in the car nor touch anything in the interior. I did not take a hard look at the interior for this reason... it just felt awkward... (see my first paragraph about the reason for this event)

This particular R1T has the Max Pack in it and is headed to Big Bend for a photo shoot and then back to LA over the next several days. I confirmed it was built on the regular assembly line in Normal although they couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me when. So not sure if it was early build or later... my personal guess is early... also no state sticker on the window but that could be to prevent lawmakers from making remarks about why this state and not Texas... who knows I guess.

I found it interesting that they chose to drive a Max Pack across the country.... Read into that what you will... but Texas is a very big state.

They stated as a matter of fact that there is indeed a regular 12 volt battery under a panel in the frunk area and it can be reached without tools.

Speaking of frunk... They had a false floor in the frunk to make it more shallow for ease of loading and unloading stuff..... Of course you give up space for this but the false floor can be removed for more space when needed. Didn't think to ask if this is going to a standard feature or optional add on. It would be nice to store less frequently needed items under that false floor.

I took another look at the 12 volt plug in the frunk and I'm a little concerned about hood clearance when using it with long or odd shaped plugs. They did say no pictures because it was a candidate for a change.

Overall fit an finish - I just don't think I spent enough time with it to give a complete assessment. yes the charging port door was bad... I couldn't help thinking what a few alignment pins would do for making that thing look straight. My short answer to this question for now.... It's not a Lexus. But then again I have never seen a pre-production Lexus.

Finally I asked about rock rails and winch options. I got the standard things are in development answer but that the truck would come winch ready.

I know a question came up about insulated glass but I had already left and did not ask that question. I think that's a question best confirmed with a test drive anyway.

I think that's it for now... let me know if something needs clarification.

The updates on the website appear to support the elevated floor is going to be included. I also do not recall the mention of pullout compartments in the front seat they have on the website now.

The R1S offers functional storage where you need it, and in spots you never thought you’d find it. Pull-out compartments in the front seats keep delicate items close at hand. Our center console reaches nearly a foot deep to store bulkier things and is also illuminated so you don’t lose the tiny ones. And our front trunk – while expansive for larger items like coolers and luggage – offers small details like hooks to hang shopping bags so items don’t roll around and an elevated floor that makes reaching inside more convenient
Sponsored