Sponsored

Thoughts on removal of Off Road Upgrade

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Gotta be the EPA ratings hit. In fact, I'm betting (since it will never be revealed truthfully or not) that Rivian was pretty much set to start R1T L.E. deliveries at least before the end of June but recently learned of their official EPA range rating given to the Launch Edition configuration(s). Probably a big enough hit to fall below that magic 300-mark.

So the big-wigs jet out to Normal and pow-wow alternatives. Here come's a very late announcement that the 'Off-Road' package is now optional on LE's. Think about it... what other headline making Launch Edition vehicle did not come with all the bells & whistles? Look at the damn first edition Hummer EVs.

They decided at the last minute to remove the weight (maybe minor drag) of the Plates, etc. and submit for retesting EPA rating. That's my speculative reason for the push from June to July, so they can provide a new L.E. representative vehicle - or vehicles with various tire/wheel combos - and get the EPA number(s) retested. Again, think about it.... Rivian proved today they are willing to push a certain month commitment to the very edge (Guide contacts starting in May), so why not push a few R1T LE's out the door on June 30th and call it June still?

My guess, they needed more time to ensure the EPA test results came back for the change to LE. They're probably burning incense at the alter of EV gods for the new number(s) to start with a 3xx
Nailed it.

The only exception being that they knew about this earlier in my opinion. Even that Insta model/engineer guy posted a week or two back that they wouldn't start deliveries for 2 months. So he knew what was going on, which I'm assuming means that info would have funneled down to CS as well, yet they decided to keep lying to us about meeting June deliveries until today. How convenient they waited to let everyone know of the delay until after the opportunity to be an early Lightning reservation holder has passed.
Sponsored

GatorCat94

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
So back to the original question though… For occasional off roading over fire roads or other similar terrain, how important is that shield plate? Have the R1S on order.

We probably would do some fun off-road trails but I don’t see myself ever rock crawling. I also don’t see going anywhere that I might need a tow hook to be rescued. Then again I’m not an experienced off roader so I don’t know how common that is.

Thoughts?

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
I expect that the underbody shielding will be neutral to a benefit for range. The weight won't be that much (100 lbs ish?) if they're using composite. I had what was considered full armor under my Xterra and the weight was under 200 lbs for steel (3/16" if I recall). On my Grand Cherokee I went aluminum where possible and the weight is a bit over 100 lbs. With the Rivian you'll gain a bit of aerodynamics underneath that will help range at speed. With EVs the around town range is typically better than highway due to the aerodynamics at speed (as if find regularly with my BMW i3). The biggest hit to range will likely be the all-terrain tires if you choose those.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
So back to the original question though… For occasional off roading over fire roads or other similar terrain, how important is that shield plate? Have the R1S on order.

We probably would do some fun off-road trails but I don’t see myself ever rock crawling. I also don’t see going anywhere that I might need a tow hook to be rescued. Then again I’m not an experienced off roader so I don’t know how common that is.

Thoughts?
I’m in a similar boat, wondering how much value the off road package adds for someone not seeking off-road, but don’t want it to be a limiting factor either. It seems like the max ground clearance setting, plus picking good lines should get you just about anywhere you want to go, unless you’re rock crawling?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

Thoughts?
Your Forest Service roads must be way better maintained than the ones I drive in UT, WY and MT. They get really rutted out at times and having that extra protection for the most expensive part of the truck is a must for me.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Your Forest Service roads must be way better maintained than the ones I drive in UT, WY and MT. They get really rutted out at times and having that extra protection for the most expensive part of the truck is a must for me.
I would think from a resale perspective as well, it would make the vehicle more desirable with it than without it.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Gotcha, I was under the impression that there was more complete coverage as well with the upgrade (implying that the regular shielding was not a uniform piece). If it’s just a material change then I’m gonna spend that $2k on other goodies.
Just updating this with more accurate info from Rivian's FAQ on underbody protection (emphasis mine):

What is the underbody made of?
Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for protection in the most extreme off-road conditions.

With the Off-Road Upgrade, available to add on to the Adventure Package or Explore Package, the underbody shield is enhanced with reinforced materials extending from bumper to bumper and side to side.

So my reading is that it's not just a simple material enhancement, there is in fact added coverage included in the off-road upgrade.

Also confusing is where the regular underbody description states "the shield is designed for protection in the most extreme off-road conditions." Then what is the point of the upgrade?

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I expect that the underbody shielding will be neutral to a benefit for range.

Well they updated the "Projected Range" disclaimer to say that the Off-Road Upgrade will impact range. I think Rivian has determined the underbody shielding *will* reduce range.

Rivian R1T R1S Thoughts on removal of Off Road Upgrade 1622156072601

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
For now, I’m keeping the off road option. If it turns out that making it optional was mileage driven, I will probably delete it. 300 miles of range is a hard minimum for me.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Logging roads here in NY also, but I have a Polaris Ranger for that.

Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
Well they updated the "Projected Range" disclaimer to say that the Off-Road Upgrade will impact range. I think Rivian has determined the underbody shielding *will* reduce range.

1622156072601.png
This is where I am doubting Rivian. I know this was mentioned before, but I don't think ANYONE called their CS team and said "Hey, I don't want that free Off Road upgrade" on their R1T's (like they said in the latest update). And now the disclaimer you show. This is turning into they got well less than 300 miles. I mean didn't that happen to the Porsche? Had like 20 or 30 miles less than they were estimating. They however released the car and didn't pull a Rivian.

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Don't forget that you may not need the underbody protection but if you are out on a trail, you can always use those tow hooks to help someone else that is stuck. ?

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
For most people it’s money for other things. For folks who truly want off-road wider protection, it cost us nothing more. The only rub is folks who want tow hooks for kayak straps to the front of the vehicle, but don’t want to pay $2k.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I'm fine the the option to drop the off-road package. The LE was such a 'fully loaded' approach I appreciate the choice to spend $2K on forecast edge interior instead.
Agree, this is a nice nod to those of us who want the creature comforts of ventilated seats and premium sound without committing a full extra $2k to an off-road upgrade that we might rarely use. It was discussed on the forums way back in Nov:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ch-edition-reservation-holders.893/post-16044
Sponsored