Thoughts on removal of Off Road Upgrade

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
Love the $2,000 discount here but how necessary will the underbody shield be on any type of trail? Also a big feature of the tow hooks was that if you ran out of juice, something could pull you for an hour to recharge. On a long trip, do you think that could be a possibility? I would hate to get stuck and have no way to charge.

But maybe I'm over thinking it and these two things aren't necessary. Thoughts...?
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Of all the things people have mentioned here that they wished were different, that isn’t one that I remember seeing. Gotta love how they spun it as “due to customer feedback”. Anyway, I don’t really have an opinion. Just happy they did it as a net cost wash if you added it back. ? well done Rivian.

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
Of all the things people have mentioned here that they wished were different, that isn’t one that I remember seeing. Gotta love how they spun it as “due to customer feedback”. Anyway, I don’t really have an opinion. Just happy they did it as a net cost wash if you added it back. ? well done Rivian.
Yes, agree on this.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
If you read between the lines, it's pretty clear they made it optional so they can claim the 300 mile range... without the off road package.

If it were standard, they would have to test and report the range with that added weight, which apparently got them under the targeted range by some amount.

This is a very smart company. They didn't make it optional because people were asking for it, no matter what they say. That might be an added benefit, but I'm quite certain it was not the motivating factor. Same rationale for making the full sized spare as optional. I don't think they're doing that to make an extra couple hundred bucks per vehicle. It's all about the weight.

Sponsored

BuckeyeTruckGuy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper Clubman S All4; R1T Reservation
In the series Long Way Up, available on Apple TV, they show several times when the Rivian’s ran out of juice and got a tow which recharges the batteries a bit. That is why think there is value in the tow hooks otherwise where will you tow from without damaging the truck?

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
If you read between the lines, it's pretty clear they made it optional so they can claim the 300 mile range... without the off road package.

If it were standard, they would have to test and report the range with that added weight, which apparently got them under the targeted range by some amount.

This is a very smart company. They didn't make it optional because people were asking for it, no matter what they say. That might be an added benefit, but I'm quite certain it was not the motivating factor. Same rationale for making the full sized spare as optional. I don't think they're doing that to make an extra couple hundred bucks per vehicle. It's all about the weight.
Curious, what order of magnitude are we talking here for added weight of the additional shielding? Like low hundreds of pounds, or more? And wouldn't it provide some minor aerodynamic improvements too?

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I believe the shielding in the upgrade is just a materials change. Aluminum --> steel. I highly doubt there is measurable aerodynamic improvement.
Gotcha, I was under the impression that there was more complete coverage as well with the upgrade (implying that the regular shielding was not a uniform piece). If it’s just a material change then I’m gonna spend that $2k on other goodies.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
I don't really care if they made the change for reason stated or some other reason but I actually do fall into the category for the reason which Rivian provided: R1S will never see any serious off road use so I am happy to save the $2k (more so than saving the extra weight with concomitant slight increase in range).

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
The offroad kit harms acceleration and cargo capacity more than EV range. That is, rolling resistance gains from added weight is a smaller change than acceleration, which is roughly 0.08 seconds in 1/4 mi ET per 100 lbs with trucks. Cargo capacity is a direct 1:1 basis, add 100lb, lose 100lb cargo.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The offroad kit harms acceleration and cargo capacity more than EV range.
Cargo capacity? What are you basing this on?

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
No mention on the winch... boooo

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
Cargo capacity? What are you basing this on?
Look at GVWR's vs Cargo Cap on trucks. Things that add weight lower the cargo cap but have no effect on the GVWR. Options are essentially cargo.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Look at GVWR's vs Cargo Cap on trucks. Things that add weight lower the cargo cap but have no effect on the GVWR. Options are essentially cargo.
Ah. I was thinking you were referring to volume, and was really confused.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Gotta be the EPA ratings hit. In fact, I'm betting (since it will never be revealed truthfully or not) that Rivian was pretty much set to start R1T L.E. deliveries at least before the end of June but recently learned of their official EPA range rating given to the Launch Edition configuration(s). Probably a big enough hit to fall below that magic 300-mark.

So the big-wigs jet out to Normal and pow-wow alternatives. Here come's a very late announcement that the 'Off-Road' package is now optional on LE's. Think about it... what other headline making Launch Edition vehicle did not come with all the bells & whistles? Look at the damn first edition Hummer EVs.

They decided at the last minute to remove the weight (maybe minor drag) of the Plates, etc. and submit for retesting EPA rating. That's my speculative reason for the push from June to July, so they can provide a new L.E. representative vehicle - or vehicles with various tire/wheel combos - and get the EPA number(s) retested. Again, think about it.... Rivian proved today they are willing to push a certain month commitment to the very edge (Guide contacts starting in May), so why not push a few R1T LE's out the door on June 30th and call it June still?

My guess, they needed more time to ensure the EPA test results came back for the change to LE. They're probably burning incense at the alter of EV gods for the new number(s) to start with a 3xx
Sponsored