Sponsored

Thoughts on Exterior Lights (Turn Signals/Brake/Hazard Lights)

OP
OP
BrayBay

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

If Rivian wants to sell the R1T or R1S in Europe they will need to implement amber turn signals in the rear. Ideally those units would be swappable with the U.S. unit, but there could also be an issue with obtaining the parts if Rivian controls the supply and refuses to sell the European part to those in the U.S.
Rivian should certainly be planning for a European release. Latest rumors I heard is that it would be a smaller vehicle for that market, so I'm not sure if it could be swapped with a US vehicle.

Maybe there's a potential vehicle mod out there? Ideally being able to replace the LEDs themselves. If not, is there such a thing as a translucent amber color film that could be applied right under the rear red light bar?
Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

We know there is a light bar under the rear red bar that can turn green for charging. I wonder if it can turn other colors as well and how far across the back it goes if its under the tail light I wonder if it can flash Amber.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
We know there is a light bar under the rear red bar that can turn green for charging. I wonder if it can turn other colors as well and how far across the back it goes if its under the tail light I wonder if it can flash Amber.
I was wondering, is this bar the reverse light? I haven't seen it mentioned, but also don't see any other lights on the rear.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I was wondering, is this bar the reverse light? I haven't seen it mentioned, but also don't see any other lights on the rear.
lower in the bumper with the rear fog lights

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
lower in the bumper with the rear fog lights
Hmm, never noticed them there, but now I see them. Just thought the whole thing was a reflector. Hopefully the tailgate strip can be used to add some more light, those look tiny, but maybe they are more like spot lights for distance where the tailgate could flood the near distance behind the truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BrayBay

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

For some reason, I'm not remember seeing the rear light bar being able to turn green. I definitely remember seeing the front light bar in recent videos. Is there a good picture or video out there?

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Snip....

My current EV has the DRL's on from the moment you press start. All I ask from Rivian is that they come on only when you put the truck in Drive so you can sit warmly on a ferry without annoying other people.
DRLs should also be able to be turned off when off-road. Unfortunately that probably means people will turn them off when on the road.

Personally, I like the "auto" feature on many cars. Keep the lights in "auto" mode: DRLs run during the day, headlights come on at night, and turn off automatically when you shut the vehicle off. You can over-ride DRLs and "fog" lights when the headlights are on (auto or manual); both go off when you shut the vehicle down.

All on a single turn signal stalk.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

All. A number of studies have shown them to increase the risks of dying in an accident in cars. At last check, having DRL gives you a 10% higher chance of getting killed in a car accident. If it's a motorcycle-on-car accident, the risk of fatality goes up somewhere between 9%-17%. Generally, cars with DRL aren't as noticeable. A big caveat is that white vehicles with DRL are safer, though I suspect it's being white, not the DRL that are making the vehicle safer.

For whatever reason, having DRL decreases your visibility to other drivers. I suspect you blend in more being a combination of light/dark colors/shapes in a background of light /dark shapes instead of being an only-dark or only-light mass moving through that same mottled background.

I haven't seen any studies comparing amber DRL safety to white DRL safety, but I'll bet amber DRLs are a lot safer as they stand out more in a variety of backgrounds.
Please, post a link to these studies you’re talking about.
You’re obviously saying that all car manufacturers are knowingly trying to commit mass murder!! This is just insane.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
You’re obviously saying that all car manufacturers are knowingly trying to commit mass murder!! This is just insane.
Not just manufacturers, but quite a few governments that mandate DRLs!

Alan C

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Triton and MG Midget 1500
Occupation
Retired
If Rivian wants to sell the R1T or R1S in Europe they will need to implement amber turn signals in the rear. Ideally those units would be swappable with the U.S. unit, but there could also be an issue with obtaining the parts if Rivian controls the supply and refuses to sell the European part to those in the U.S.
Same will apply in Australia, only amber lights for turn signals allowed by ADRs would think it would be better anywhere to define turn signal from brake etc.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

If its on the internet it must be true.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
All. A number of studies have shown them to increase the risks of dying in an accident in cars. At last check, having DRL gives you a 10% higher chance of getting killed in a car accident. If it's a motorcycle-on-car accident, the risk of fatality goes up somewhere between 9%-17%. Generally, cars with DRL aren't as noticeable. A big caveat is that white vehicles with DRL are safer, though I suspect it's being white, not the DRL that are making the vehicle safer.

For whatever reason, having DRL decreases your visibility to other drivers. I suspect you blend in more being a combination of light/dark colors/shapes in a background of light /dark shapes instead of being an only-dark or only-light mass moving through that same mottled background.

I haven't seen any studies comparing amber DRL safety to white DRL safety, but I'll bet amber DRLs are a lot safer as they stand out more in a variety of backgrounds.
I did a 15 minute Google on this topic. All the *studies* I found either indicated a reduction of accidents, or no statistically significant difference. None of them indicated a HIGHER overall risk when using DRL.

As a side note, there are many studies that show headlights/running lights on motorcycles greatly reduce the risk.

So I think we are still waiting for you to post your references?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

You have it completely backwards. Lights on is more visible.

I was just in the US on a three week road trip. I am used to all cars having DRL of some form.

I can tell you it is much, much harder to see a car coming that does not have DRL vs one that does, especially near dusk or dawn.

Pugster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford F150
The only data I’d be interested in seeing would be a quantitative study that looked at visibility with or without DRLs. Anything attempting to correlate accident rates with DRLs (because how could you set up a controlled experiment to measure crashes!) would be so full of potentially troublesome variables it’s probably worthless. What would be interesting is looking at overall accident rates (of a type that is indicative of not seeing someone coming) when DRLs were introduced vs before. Again lots of confounds but could be some decent data (already discussed above in other posts).

The real point here is that actual scientists who do actual research with knowledge of statistics have looked at this. It’s why DRLs are mandated. There’s no conspiracy and I doubt the science has changed much (but maybe it has, because…well…science!).
Sponsored