Sponsored

Thoughts on Exterior Lights (Turn Signals/Brake/Hazard Lights)

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Thank you…..I do that and they always come back on after a short time???
DRL are not headlights. Could this be what you are seeing? And the headlights will be back to auto for every drive.
Sponsored

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

That is what is going on…..the headlights come back with every drive after I have turned them off. In a car that is concerned with range, are these headlights and DRLs taking some good range? Thanks for your help. JB

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is what is going on…..the headlights come back with every drive after I have turned them off. In a car that is concerned with range, are these headlights and DRLs taking some good range? Thanks for your help. JB
They are not. LED lights are pretty efficient.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to turn off the automatic headlights every day?

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

I dont do it that often but sometimes it seems when you stop or park for a plethora of reasons and just sitting in the car, the lights are on and confusing others or blinding them in overcast skies. The center display is the best way for me to read and learn the manual so I do that frequently and just want the lights off. If they are that efficient I guess I dont need to worry about the range part of it. On a single lane highway, they of course add to the safety but on major freeways, it seems superfluous to have them on. Maybe I need to chill on it and just leave them on! )) 90% of cars dont have lights on during the day so it seemed strange to me. Thx again for your feedback. JB

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I dont do it that often but sometimes it seems when you stop or park for a plethora of reasons and just sitting in the car, the lights are on and confusing others or blinding them in overcast skies. The center display is the best way for me to read and learn the manual so I do that frequently and just want the lights off. If they are that efficient I guess I dont need to worry about the range part of it. On a single lane highway, they of course add to the safety but on major freeways, it seems superfluous to have them on. Maybe I need to chill on it and just leave them on! )) 90% of cars dont have lights on during the day so it seemed strange to me. Thx again for your feedback. JB
During the day (even on an overcast day here in the PNW) you're headlights won't be on if you leave them set to Auto; only your DRLs will be on, which are very common in the US. On the off chance that you are parked at night, yes, turning off the lights seems like the right answer.
Sponsored