Sponsored

This youtube review points out R1S cabin interior noise?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm late to this, but something keeps popping up with the R1T and R1S when discussing cost and comparisons:

So just watched this R1S review where she points out cabin noise that does not exist in a Model X. That sounds very unfortunate when dropping $80k+.
This isn't really directed at you specifically, it's just a general rant because people don't seem to realize how much other vehicles cost.
A dual motor R1S with a large pack is $84,000. Moving it up to the Quad motor with 22" wheels is about $96,500 currently. And it's a large SUV. Like a legitimate SUV.

The Model X *starts* at $121,000 and even with stock white paint can run up to about $146,000. And it's a large hatchback car that tries to pretend it's a minivan.

Why is it unfortunate the a vehicle that is $40,000 to $50,000 more expensive with a different feature set is more quiet? A more apt comparison is comparing the drawbacks of the model X against the EQS.

Reviewers keep pointing out the R1T and R1S costs like they're absurdly high, but they're a bargain compared to basically every other vehicle on the market.

I *think* she sound she didn't like was the motors. Which as far as I can tell, Rivian intentionally didn't isolate the motor noise from the body and avoided piping in fake noise. Or maybe they just forgot to isolate the motors from the body and accidentally designed a vehicle with an EV motor noise that a lot of people appreciate.
Sponsored

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
My R1S has significant wind noise at speeds above 50 mph, but I have mobile service coming to look at it tomorrow. I haven't driven the lightening but I did test drive the BMW IX50 which was incredibly quiet, if you can get past the looks.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I like the motor noise in my R1T more than the exhaust note of my SQ5 and that has a really nice sounding exhaust. The R1 is quieter than that car, I'm satisfied with the level of cabin noise I have.

Chas60422

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback
Occupation
Healthcare
A Munro Live video way back when mentioned 2 types of sound dampening foam around the motors. One for low speed and the other at freeway speeds. Rivian could of added the middle range if they wanted to but didn’t. It seems that mid range speed motor noise is intentional.
The other thing is that the R1S she borrowed may have a leaky air bag. Hence the air compressor going off all the time. Also if the S is in auto ride height then that can explain the compressor kicking in frequently . I leave auto ride height off even in conserve mode. My compressor rarely goes off.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

I have the R1S and M3LR. The Rivian is as quiet or quieter with road / wind noise but has more motor sound. It does have a noticeable sound when the air suspension adjusts. It's probably no louder than my Grand Cherokee was but it sounds like it's inside the cabin and has an unexpected tone in addition to the normal compressor sounds.

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I have my R1S for more than two months. I do not notice cabin noise especially from my air compressor. My wife actually said that the car is quiet. The only louder noise I have ever heard was when the car preconditioning the battery for a charge but it only happened two times that were louder than other times.
what VIN?

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T , Tesla Model 3
Both the vehicles are louder than they should be, for different reasons. Tesla wins due to the new X’s active noise canceling. Rivian should have done this too.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Hmm yeah its interesting to see the varied amounts it gets mentioned in reviews. Cause it seems to have come up a lot. I wonder if they've done something to better isolate the vibration at this point or if it's being overblown. A little compressor noise doesn't seem so bad to me - feeling vibration through the floor/seat as some have mentioned seems like an issue and not ignorable by just playing a little music

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Tesla wins due to the new X’s active noise canceling. Rivian should have done this too.
Wow! Didn't know Tesla was doing that... great idea if it works.

Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Her biggest fans are Tesla owners... do you expect her to be unbiased? IMHO... I wouldn't even call a model X a SUV... a crossover maybe.
True!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ford Lightning is definitely more composed suspension on rough roads and less road noise at speed than R1T. No measurement tool needed.

Zee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, '06 Tacoma, Family Wagon
My R1S has significant wind noise at speeds above 50 mph, but I have mobile service coming to look at it tomorrow. I haven't driven the lightening but I did test drive the BMW IX50 which was incredibly quiet, if you can get past the looks.
Bumping for an update - did the service help? Discovering the same issue...
Sponsored