Sponsored

This is why we need a huge charging network! (Harley LiveWire trip failure)

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

This is one of those situations where I feel that the network wasn't completely at fault. They had a planned route w/ charging stops and they decided to push it without consideration for the road ahead. If ABRP, EA, EVGO, or PlugShare tell you to stop at X stop, you stop at X stop. There are definitely some dead or forgotten zones around the US, but the decisions to put chargers in certain areas wasn't a roll of the dice to figure out where the stations would go.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It's also greatly impacted by the Livewire itself.
A practical range of <80 miles means lots of charging time. Add in a very slow AC charging rate (1.44 kW even from 240V stations capable of much more), slowish DCFC, small battery, and taper with the relatively small battery and you see the potential for issues.
Harley is marketing the Livewire as an around town or commuter for very good reason.
People did road trips in first gen LEAFs, people do it on Zero motorcycles with no DCFC capabilities, but not as a practical means of travel. More as a challenge/adventure.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The driver's comfort index is the product of the density of working chargers (chargers per square mile) and some power, greater than 1 but well less than 2) of the vehicle's range. This guy went off into a charging desert with a low range vehicle. No surprises here.

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
As a former journalist, I guess I’m allowed some cynicism here. This is a more interesting headline/story because the author managed to run out of charge. There would be far fewer clicks if he’d actually planned his trip.

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Tesla puts a lot of their freeway destination superchargers in hotel parking lots. I was doing a cross country trip back in the days where you needed to stop at almost every supercharger. Stopped at one of these hotel superchargers around 10:00pm to find that some jack nut with a truck and trailer decided to park his rig across all 8 chargers. I was planning to drive through the night, but ended up having to just sleep in the car until he moved out the next morning. Fortunately, he was gone by 6:00am.

Things have improved greatly since then as far as more super chargers that provide a set of options. But there are jack nuts who still think parking in EV spots is OK. ?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
As a former journalist, I guess I’m allowed some cynicism here. T
Rest assured that the populace at large accords the profession about the same level of regard as you do.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
150 miles of real range is necessary for long road trips in any type of EV. Assuming you are sticking to major highways, that will cover most of the large gaps between DV chargers while allow for a top/bottom buffer and a little extra for weather.

As pointed out the <80 mile range of the Livewire cuts it way too close for long road trips. Basically it's like the first generation of non-Tesla EV's like the Leaf 24kWh and first gen i3. Plenty for around town driving, but not realistic for a road trip without a lot of serious planning and charging time.
Sponsored