Sponsored

This is what an R1 hood looks like when it opens on the freeway...

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I, too, first learned about the alarm functionality when my truck was being towed. Fortunately, he was just pulling away from my driveway so we were able to put it in tow mode before he got on the road to the SC.
Do you know if you are suppose to put it on tow mode before loading and take it off after unloading? After loading and before unloading? or it does not make any difference?
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I guess it works on the hood but nothing else :p
I had it go off once when I left the dog in the car with the alarm on. So that makes 2

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
ā€˜That makes sense. OK, you converted me to a new crowd.

I had a Ford Fairmont I bought for $300. Among many charming flaws (Transmission and engine problems), the hood opened once when I was driving. Traffic was in a way, I could not slam on the break. Driving like this is not as much fun as you think:

1659535041821.jpeg
I wasn't going to post this, but since you did...
I was crossing the SF Bay Bridge back in the day, driving a partially restored 1959 Nash Metropolitan. We were headed for the old Filmore Auditorium for an afternoon sound check. In the middle of the span we were hit with high winds. Both doors blew open and the hood popped open, blocking all but a few inches of vision. Amazingly I made it over to the far right lane without getting creamed in the process. My drummer almost most fell out of the passenger side and never drove with me again. Good times!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Do you know if you are suppose to put it on tow mode before loading and take it off after unloading? After loading and before unloading? or it does not make any difference?
Should be enabled before loading, and disabled only after vehicle is stationary on the ground.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Supposed to be done right before loading and after offloaded, but probably not that big of a deal if initiated after loading.

My understanding is that it mainly prevents battery drain and stuff like that. I donā€™t think it changes anything mechanically.

Reactions: Max

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My understanding is that it mainly prevents battery drain and stuff like that. I donā€™t think it changes anything mechanically.
I know with other manufacturers, "transport mode" will disable the accelerometers to reduce nuisance alarms.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I know with other manufacturers, "transport mode" will disable the accelerometers to reduce nuisance alarms.
I believe thatā€™s the case here too. I think that would also help conserve battery by disabling

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I, too, first learned about the alarm functionality when my truck was being towed. Fortunately, he was just pulling away from my driveway so we were able to put it in tow mode before he got on the road to the SC.
Do you mean Vehicle Shipping Mode? The tow operators manual does not mention any modes other than sport or Conserve to enable lowest ride height.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Do you mean Vehicle Shipping Mode? The tow operators manual does not mention any modes other than sport or Conserve to enable lowest ride height.
Yes, itā€™s weird that itā€™s not in there and is why I forgot about it. I went through the tow guide with the driver and forgot to put it in shipping mode until my alarm started going off. The driver may have unlocked my vehicle but I never got anymore alarm alerts after it was put in shipping mode.

LaunchR1T

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
That's rough to see. Hopefully they get it sorted quickly.

My last shipping experience included the driver asking me to pull the truck off his trailer for him because he "couldn't figure out the damn emergency brake." I also received an alarm notification during shipping.

I would like to see Rivian provide something (QR code, mirror hang tag, something?) with a brief list of tips for shipping that could be left in the truck for their shippers who are not yet familiar with Rivian products. Similar to the QR code on the spare tire kit.

Sponsored

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Same. My truck is being towed to Atlanta and Iā€™ve had multiple alarm tiggers and both the driver and I are confused about WTF is going on.

frustrating week

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

Luckily, it looks like all you need is a new hood. Could have gone worse given the hood was open at highway speeds. Is your tow truck driver taking any responsibility?

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
So sorry to hear of this issue...what a bummer. Have you had the opportunity to view the damage in person? Is it isolated to the hood or did it also damage the windshield/roof and an underhood areas around the hinges?

I hope they get it straightened out quickly...good luck...

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Luckily, it looks like all you need is a new hood. Could have gone worse given the hood was open at highway speeds. Is your tow truck driver taking any responsibility?
He claims he didn't do anything, but I find that hard to believe. That said, Rivian has submitted a claim with the carrier, and the driver told me he'd take the blame before he let me pay for the repairs. Rivian has said more than once that it doesn't matter what happened or who's at fault I (obviously) won't pay a dime.

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So sorry to hear of this issue...what a bummer. Have you had the opportunity to view the damage in person? Is it isolated to the hood or did it also damage the windshield/roof and an underhood areas around the hinges?

I hope they get it straightened out quickly...good luck...
I haven't seen it in person yet, I'm on vacation. It does look, and sound, like it's only the hood, but the SC will be replacing the hood and all hood components along with anything that could have possibly been damaged.
Sponsored