Sponsored

This is what an R1 hood looks like when it opens on the freeway...

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Thanks for providing a photo for the "I don't understand why Rivian stops me from driving fast when it thinks the hood is open" crowd.
Point well taken but I am still a part of that crowd. It should allow driving at 10, 15 mph (or whatever latch or weight of the hood can handle). Turning the truck into an expensive brick in a bad spot may not be that safe either.
Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
The alarm was going off while being transported. I'm pretty sure the driver opened the hood trying to unlock the doors with the fob to silence the alarm while driving...
I'd imagine Rivian can look at logs to confirm that's the case by seeing the hood was released via key fob at X:XX.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Point well taken but I am still a part of that crowd. It should allow driving at 10, 15 mph (or whatever latch or weight of the hood can handle). Turning the truck into an expensive brick in a bad spot may not be that safe either.
It does allow low speed driving. Yeah, you're not driving home from 100 miles away, but you can certainly get out of danger.

Rivian R1T R1S This is what an R1 hood looks like when it opens on the freeway... 1659534449369

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I guess the R1T will need a ‘towing mode’ so you can leave it in park and keep the frunk from opening.
I suggested this exact thing. I also recommended that the alarm be disabled in this mode.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
It does allow low speed driving. Yeah, you're not driving home from 100 miles away, but you can certainly get out of danger.

1659534449369.png
‘That makes sense. OK, you converted me to a new crowd.

I had a Ford Fairmont I bought for $300. Among many charming flaws (Transmission and engine problems), the hood opened once when I was driving. Traffic was in a way, I could not slam on the break. Driving like this is not as much fun as you think:

Rivian R1T R1S This is what an R1 hood looks like when it opens on the freeway... 1659535041821

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I did have a Ford Fairmont I bought for $300 once. Among many charming flaws (Transmission and engine problems). The hood opened once when I was driving. Traffic was in a way, I could not slam on the break. Driving like this is not as much fun as you think:

1659535041821.jpeg
I understand why people would want to be able to continue the drive, but I don't agree that they should be allowed to strap the hood down and drive around with it that way. Just falls on the wrong side of the risk assessment to me because it's putting other people in danger, not just the people driving.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I had a Ford Fairmont I bought for $300. Among many charming flaws (Transmission and engine problems), the hood opened once when I was driving. Traffic was in a way, I could not slam on the break. Driving like this is not as much fun as you think:
Oh the Ford Fairmont, my second car…. It has to be one of the worst engineered cars ever, at least mine had a straight six cylinder engine that was neither powerful or fuel efficient… good times.

Reactions: Max

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The alarm was going off while being transported. I'm pretty sure the driver opened the hood trying to unlock the doors with the fob to silence the alarm while driving...
This is the problem with Rivian contracting with 3rd party hauling companies and not teaching them anything about how to load the vehicles.

There is a service mode setting that could have prevented the alarm from going off.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
This is the problem with Rivian contracting with 3rd party hauling companies and not teaching them anything about how to load the vehicles.

There is a service mode setting that could have prevented the alarm from going off.
Agreed! My Rivian was coming back on a third party flatbed last weekend. Interestingly enough, never alarmed when it was brought to ATL on a gooseneck trailer.

Rivian R1T R1S This is what an R1 hood looks like when it opens on the freeway... Screenshot_20220730-121036_Rivian

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck

This may be part of a new Rivian initiative to reduce service calls.

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This may be part of a new Rivian initiative to reduce service calls.
Pretty frustrating. My tow driver was very nice and was thrilled to see a Rivian but I was very worried when I had to print the tow guide off for him. He said he was given no instructions - fortunately, I was aware of tow/transport mode and was at home where I could print off a copy of the tow guide.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I guess the R1T will need a ‘towing mode’ so you can leave it in park and keep the frunk from opening.
There is a "Vehicle Shipping Mode" that can be turned on in the infotainment screen. The manual lists some of the changes it makes. I don't see anything that says the hood is disabled -- but that should be an easy thing to add OTA.

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

There is, but the tow operators guide does not mention or recommend it. I thought about it, but not until I got the alert in the app that the alarm was triggered. Honestly didn't think the alarm even worked...

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
There is, but the tow operators guide does not mention or recommend it. I thought about it, but not until I got the alert in the app that the alarm was triggered. Honestly didn't think the alarm even worked...
I, too, first learned about the alarm functionality when my truck was being towed. Fortunately, he was just pulling away from my driveway so we were able to put it in tow mode before he got on the road to the SC.