Sponsored

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
So the first shrub that brushes against the driver's front fender while off-roading may pop open the charge port door? I'd be much happier with a modest "soft-touch" mechanism that pops it open enough to grab. Basically like decent gas covers.
It looks like it's a capacitance sensor, like modern touch screens, so unless that shrub has some weird electrical characteristics it shouldn't open the door.

I agree though that I'd prefer a simpler mechanism. The sliding looks cool, but I imagine it'd get old 5 years in when I just want it to open and it won't.
Sponsored

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
It probably won't be an issue, but my first thought on seeing this video was that I could get my knuckles rapped with this thing. This'll help keep the aging reflexes sharp.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
It looks like it's a capacitance sensor, like modern touch screens, so unless that shrub has some weird electrical characteristics it shouldn't open the door.

I agree though that I'd prefer a simpler mechanism. The sliding looks cool, but I imagine it'd get old 5 years in when I just want it to open and it won't.
Plus, it may only activate if it senses your smartphone or key fob to avoid accidental opening/closing or any stranger messing with it?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So the first shrub that brushes against the driver's front fender while off-roading may pop open the charge port door? I'd be much happier with a modest "soft-touch" mechanism that pops it open enough to grab. Basically like decent gas covers.
Easy enough for the sensor to be ignored when the vehicle isn’t “parked”.

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
I think the Tesla charge port style is much simpler, and I'd prefer something like that. But I am glad it's at least automated so that it closes after you unplug. My 2014 Model S doesn't have an auto closing charge port door and it is a little inconvenient.

Sponsored