RobBot

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
So the first shrub that brushes against the driver's front fender while off-roading may pop open the charge port door? I'd be much happier with a modest "soft-touch" mechanism that pops it open enough to grab. Basically like decent gas covers.
It looks like it's a capacitance sensor, like modern touch screens, so unless that shrub has some weird electrical characteristics it shouldn't open the door.

I agree though that I'd prefer a simpler mechanism. The sliding looks cool, but I imagine it'd get old 5 years in when I just want it to open and it won't.

Advertisement

Reed

First Name
Reed
Reaction score
First Name
Reed
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired
It probably won't be an issue, but my first thought on seeing this video was that I could get my knuckles rapped with this thing. This'll help keep the aging reflexes sharp.

EyeOnRivian

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-orders: R1S, Mach-E
It looks like it's a capacitance sensor, like modern touch screens, so unless that shrub has some weird electrical characteristics it shouldn't open the door.

I agree though that I'd prefer a simpler mechanism. The sliding looks cool, but I imagine it'd get old 5 years in when I just want it to open and it won't.
Plus, it may only activate if it senses your smartphone or key fob to avoid accidental opening/closing or any stranger messing with it?

CommodoreAmiga

Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
So the first shrub that brushes against the driver's front fender while off-roading may pop open the charge port door? I'd be much happier with a modest "soft-touch" mechanism that pops it open enough to grab. Basically like decent gas covers.
Easy enough for the sensor to be ignored when the vehicle isn’t “parked”.

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
I think the Tesla charge port style is much simpler, and I'd prefer something like that. But I am glad it's at least automated so that it closes after you unplug. My 2014 Model S doesn't have an auto closing charge port door and it is a little inconvenient.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport
When I pulled up to Electrify America charger....
88848DFB-243A-4C31-819A-076E2F731C8F.jpeg
I sure hope they tested snow and ice storms in Baudette and getting this charge door open if it is frozen!

Advertisement

Advertisement