Thinking of getting a car/truck cover

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Long time browser here. Just got an email today to schedule for delivery and I know the R1T will not fit in my garage and might end up on our driveway. I don’t plan on using it for my daily commute so I don’t want it collecting dust since I live on a busy street. Any thoughts/suggestions on using a car/truck cover and what closest size for the R1T.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
May as well just rub sandpaper all over your vehicle.

Covers are a bad idea for use outdoors.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Long time browser here. Just got an email today to schedule for delivery and I know the R1T will not fit in my garage and might end up on our driveway. I don’t plan on using it for my daily commute so I don’t want it collecting dust since I live on a busy street. Any thoughts/suggestions on using a car/truck cover and what closest size for the R1T.
covers are bad outside. Just wash it when it gets dirty. Cars live outside all the time.

RtOnelove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1, Ford bronco
People are saying the covers are rough on paint, because they get dust and then the wind blows them and they rub.

If you are parking under a pine tree, I would agree a cover seems better.

But better than that is to get some sort of awning over your driveway. That way you can avoid the cover as well as the sap.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I added a carport to my driveway specifically because of this concern - I park under the world's most dense and pollen-casting collection of deciduous trees, inhabited by vindictive raccoons and weird little grubs that all conspire to ruin anything parked under them.

Before I built the carport, I kept my Jeep and motorcycles in the same spot and had them under covers, which immediately filled with dust, spiders, and moisture. I think my Jeep took more paint damage and corrosion in a winter under a cover than in 40 years parked in an open carport 100ft from the Pacific Ocean, for what it's worth.

If an awning/carport (even a soft awning like a taut canvas tarp) isn't an option, PPF might be a good call in your case so you can just take it to an automatic car wash every once in a while to clear off sap and other organics that will damage your paint over time. Or it might be a good time to call a contractor about embiggening your garage 😅

feedairy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Tacoma, R1T preorder
I'm in the same boat. Outside full time and coastal, too, so I worry about the salt air. But not sure I want to spend on a full PPF.

Does anybody have any thoughts on keeping the truck clean and well maintained outside? I'm happy to hand wash once or twice a month, but getting new ceramic every six months seems excessive..

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
In too many areas, anything visible from the street that can 'walk off' in the middle of the night, will not be there in the A.M. Might be a consideration for you...

OP
OP
PowerBugs

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Anybody willing to trade their R1S priority number for my R1T?
Sponsored