Sponsored

The speed of "right". Does anyone really care when deliveries start?

Your Opinion on Rivian Delivery delays

• I don't mind a bit...Rivian can move forward at the speed of "right". I'll get it when its ready

• I'm happy to wait, even for several months, but not forever

• I'm OK waiting, but not much longer and the delay is disappointing

• I'm really upset they can't make the projected delivery dates. Considering other options

• I'm angry enough at the delays that I'm canceling my order

Results are only viewable after voting.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
The entitlement comment is not about the frustration people have, it's their expectation that they deserve financial or emotional compensation for their frustration - free upgrades, weekly stroking, etc. Rivian owes none of that to any of us. Should they improve? Of course, but we are not *entitled* to it. It's not an insult - it's a fact. When you grow up you'll realize that.
You’re literally the only one mentioning people being entitled to anything. Nobody else has said they are entitled to anything. Nice try though.

People have expressed a desire for better communication, more forthcoming information around delays, and a more customer friendly engagement strategy.

When you grow up you’ll realize that.
Congrats on being the first person on my ignore list!
Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I wonder when reservations close and online purchasing will begin? I am thinking it won’t be too long after the first wave of LEs are delivered.

For folks like myself that have late reservations (3/15/2021) who’s combination of location and configuration is not ideal may see none reservation holders get their vehicles first. A pessimistic thought for sure but …. after all, Rivian has never said it will complete all reservations before shipping to none reservation customers.

Time will tell.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I had a chat with Rivian today regarding the timing of Reservations (Pre-order) ending, and the start of online ordering(no pre-order required). They were professional and said that they had no information. They did suggest that I keep my pre-order and only cancel it if 'ordering' online would speed up delivery of a R1T.

IMO I think that once Rivian delivers a small number of vehicles to LE holders the vehicles will be considered released. As a released product there would be no need to have pre-ordering. Hence, simply go to the RIvian site and order. There of course would be a lead time but Rivian chat did not confirm vehicles 'ordered' online would delay delivery until all pre-orders were completed.

On 7/15 we placed an online order for a Mach-E and on 7/17 I went to the dealership I chose for the order, and got the process moved to 'Order accepted by Dealership'. Now, there is total silence. No estimated lead time for delivery from Ford or the dealership. I am thinking that Rivian's silence is not that uncommon. Come to think of it, I probably should contact the dealership to confirm they actually placed the order. Dang.

One last thing from the professional Rivian chat was that plant tours should be available sooooooon.

I am so accustom to getting what I want when I want it ....... patience and lots of it is easier said than done!

Last edited:

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Presently, I'm awaiting for Toyota to S00N announce details on the all-new 2022 Tundra pickup. Like Ford there will surely be a mild-hybrid version and eventually a full EV variant. But what peaks my interest is the possibility for a "Tundra-Prime" PHEV coming right out of the gate with availability in Winter 2021/early 2022. Meaning a twin-turbo V6 augmented by a more sizable battery, say 30-50 kWh - enough to achieve perhaps 35-50 miles of electric-only drive in all city conditions and cruising up to 75-80 mph on the highway.

I realize that such a PHEV full size pickup is nowhere near as "sexy" as a full battery-powered truck. But there is very good case to make that it's the smartest way to leverage electric propulsion (and V2H emergency power sourcing). With a home charging station and typical driving pattern of less than 50 miles daily, you enjoy a near pure EV experience and economics. Then when you need to hit the open road and run 300 miles, or heck 600 miles then you just Do It without further thought. Especially if that adventure has you towing anything over say 6,000 lbs then instead of fretting over losing half your range, you just have to tolerate a 30-50% drop in highway cruise MPG.

That's my long-winded way of saying that if there's a Toy Tundra Prime PHEV around the corner, then that's my next vehicle without question. I say this holding my R1T reservation and a very early F-150 Lightning reservation. Both will get refunded and go towards lots of off-road goodies :)
Same here. Have a tundra currently and a tundra prime would fit my use case very well...guessing Toyota it will be a mild hybrid and not come for another year or two though.

Sponsored

Cassidy_DM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6
Occupation
Space
One last thing from the professional Rivian chat was that plant tours should be available sooooooon.
I have family that still lives in the St. Louis area. Sounds like a trip back home might be in order soooooon....

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I chatted with Rivian CS today and here is what they said:

What about timing when non-LE pre-order holders will be contacted by a guide?
I can tell you that we plan to start our drive program in September! Our Guides are on track to begin reaching out to Adventure and Explore Package preorder holders after Thanksgiving.

Ok, thanks. Is there any sense of timing for when deliveries will start for that group?
January 2022!

So, that is still on track even with the LE pre-orders being pushed back to September?
Correct! Deliveries are still on track for Adventure and Explore Package preorders in January.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I chatted with Rivian CS today and here is what they said:

What about timing when non-LE pre-order holders will be contacted by a guide?
I can tell you that we plan to start our drive program in September! Our Guides are on track to begin reaching out to Adventure and Explore Package preorder holders after Thanksgiving.

Ok, thanks. Is there any sense of timing for when deliveries will start for that group?
January 2022!

So, that is still on track even with the LE pre-orders being pushed back to September?
Correct! Deliveries are still on track for Adventure and Explore Package preorders in January.
Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I find that hard to believe. CS seems to keep doubling down on dates until they are given a new one. So what I’d read into that response is not that they are on track for those dates, but rather they haven’t been given a new date so they are going to tell you the last date they were given.

Just my opinion. I hope they prove me wrong. Unless, of course, it means tons of non-LE’s start getting delivered ahead of LE’s. That would not make me happy.

OP
OP
brainf18

brainf18

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2C, Porsche 911, Porsche 904
Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I find that hard to believe. CS seems to keep doubling down on dates until they are given a new one. So what I’d read into that response is not that they are on track for those dates, but rather they haven’t been given a new date so they are going to tell you the last date they were given.

Just my opinion. I hope they prove me wrong. Unless, of course, it means tons of non-LE’s start getting delivered ahead of LE’s. That would not make me happy.
Its safe to say the CS folks are not in the room when these decision are being made. They are told what to say depending on leadership's assessment at the time. With many situations that are "fluid" the truth changes. Going back to the point of this poll and threat is that most folks are happy to wait. I'm rooting for Rivian to hit a home run right out of the gates. If that takes time then so be it.

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Its safe to say the CS folks are not in the room when these decision are being made. They are told what to say depending on leadership's assessment at the time. With many situations that are "fluid" the truth changes. Going back to the point of this poll and threat is that most folks are happy to wait. I'm rooting for Rivian to hit a home run right out of the gates. If that takes time then so be it.
CS is only able to restate Rivian's publicly available information. Essentially, they are there for people who don't want to search through the website and would rather talk to a real person. You aren't going to get anything out of them that you can't find online. The information they provide is only correct until an update is released.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
For me it's a matter of "I Don't have a Vehicle" right now, it's not that big of deal as work from home is still in effect, in September, it becomes an inconvenience as WFH starts to fade out (scheduled, at least) for myself, while my wife still works from home.

However the big problem in the wings is my wife is in the running for a couple of jobs that are not WFH at all, and mean more income for us. So if she takes one of those, they're not carpool friendly so we can't ride together (her schedule will change, mine is fixed) and since it's in emergency services she will have shift work.

So not being able to take delivery of a car this fall means I have to figure something out. The last gas vehicle we owned was bought in 2014, we replaced in 2019. The 2017 EV was bought on a lease as GM's track record wasn't great, and look at the news and no purchasing my 2017 Bolt off lease seems like a wise decision now, but now we have no car.

So the delays are painful, but with the industries manufacturing problems it's not like I can switch to something else either. The used EV market is pretty scant, and most are at or above retail price right now which is bonkers.

So right now the 'best' decision seems to be...don't take a non WFH job, which, well isn't the greatest option. Sure we can buy a stupid gas car, but I'm not a fan anymore of them. I'd really hoped at least the early editions would be out by now, and review folks on youtube would have played with them, and that you could find anything/everything about the thing you wanted too. The last 'walk through' videos are from 2019. Every day I don't put down pre-order is another day into 2022 before I could get one now, it's frustrating. Handing $1k off for a pre-order is too much these days. Every other EV coming in the same time frame is $100.

Mark K

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Volt
Occupation
Retired
Another thread for complainers. As for the Rivian I expect to own it soon after they offer it to me. Until then I will keep driving my eleven year old car with 17500 miles on the odometer. My current transportation options should last several more years without many changes.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So the delays are painful, but with the industries manufacturing problems it's not like I can switch to something else either. The used EV market is pretty scant, and most are at or above retail price right now which is bonkers.
Grab an ID.4 or Mach e off the lot if you need another car and don't want to grab an ICE. They're not that hard to find at MSRP.

https://www.cars.com/shopping/resul...ist_price_max=&maximum_distance=500&zip=28105

https://www.cars.com/shopping/resul...ist_price_max=&maximum_distance=500&zip=28105

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Another thread for complainers.
So why even come into it? So you can complain about complainers? Aka “troll”? ?‍♂
Sponsored