Sponsored

The speed of "right". Does anyone really care when deliveries start?

Your Opinion on Rivian Delivery delays

• I don't mind a bit...Rivian can move forward at the speed of "right". I'll get it when its ready

• I'm happy to wait, even for several months, but not forever

• I'm OK waiting, but not much longer and the delay is disappointing

• I'm really upset they can't make the projected delivery dates. Considering other options

• I'm angry enough at the delays that I'm canceling my order

Results are only viewable after voting.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Probably like many car buyers, I don't "need" the Rivian, today, next month or even next year. I'm happy to continue to drive the cars I have now until its ready. So while I can't image the delays will be more than a few months, I'd be perfectly happy waiting a year or more.
Everyone’s situation is different. My wife’s SUV is now 10 yrs old, so by next year we’re getting something to replace it. In talking to Rivian in 2018, they told me a safe delivery time of October 2020. That has then slipped and they also put me back of the line as they originally said the Max pack (which used to be the Large pack) would be produced first, but then changed to the mid (now large). At this point I’m probably looking at summer of 2022, so 2 years post their original estimate. 2022 I will have at least 2 other options and will see how the Rivian’s now somewhat old design and hardware holds us vs say Cybertruck.
Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
To be honest, the delays don't bother me, it's part of the start up company production woes. I'm surprised we haven't seen more delays. My issue with Rivian is communication. Not only is it done in poorly timely manner, but also the amount of information is too ambiguous. They need to work on this and not just acknowledge it (don't talk the talk. Walk the walk).

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
So how many more delays are you ok with?
Until there’s another high quality option that meets my needs equally well, I’d rather wait for Rivian to get it right at scale.

If competition shows up in the meantime that overlaps with enough of the customer base, they’ll feel that pressure. Don’t think we’re anywhere near that being an existential issue for Rivian, though.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Presently, I'm awaiting for Toyota to S00N announce details on the all-new 2022 Tundra pickup. Like Ford there will surely be a mild-hybrid version and eventually a full EV variant. But what peaks my interest is the possibility for a "Tundra-Prime" PHEV coming right out of the gate with availability in Winter 2021/early 2022. Meaning a twin-turbo V6 augmented by a more sizable battery, say 30-50 kWh - enough to achieve perhaps 35-50 miles of electric-only drive in all city conditions and cruising up to 75-80 mph on the highway.

I realize that such a PHEV full size pickup is nowhere near as "sexy" as a full battery-powered truck. But there is very good case to make that it's the smartest way to leverage electric propulsion (and V2H emergency power sourcing). With a home charging station and typical driving pattern of less than 50 miles daily, you enjoy a near pure EV experience and economics. Then when you need to hit the open road and run 300 miles, or heck 600 miles then you just Do It without further thought. Especially if that adventure has you towing anything over say 6,000 lbs then instead of fretting over losing half your range, you just have to tolerate a 30-50% drop in highway cruise MPG.

That's my long-winded way of saying that if there's a Toy Tundra Prime PHEV around the corner, then that's my next vehicle without question. I say this holding my R1T reservation and a very early F-150 Lightning reservation. Both will get refunded and go towards lots of off-road goodies :)

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Presently, I'm awaiting for Toyota to S00N announce details on the all-new 2022 Tundra pickup. Like Ford there will surely be a mild-hybrid version and eventually a full EV variant. But what peaks my interest is the possibility for a "Tundra-Prime" PHEV coming right out of the gate with availability in Winter 2021/early 2022. Meaning a twin-turbo V6 augmented by a more sizable battery, say 30-50 kWh - enough to achieve perhaps 35-50 miles of electric-only drive in all city conditions and cruising up to 75-80 mph on the highway.

I realize that such a PHEV full size pickup is nowhere near as "sexy" as a full battery-powered truck. But there is very good case to make that it's the smartest way to leverage electric propulsion (and V2H emergency power sourcing). With a home charging station and typical driving pattern of less than 50 miles daily, you enjoy a near pure EV experience and economics. Then when you need to hit the open road and run 300 miles, or heck 600 miles then you just Do It without further thought. Especially if that adventure has you towing anything over say 6,000 lbs then instead of fretting over losing half your range, you just have to tolerate a 30-50% drop in highway cruise MPG.

That's my long-winded way of saying that if there's a Toy Tundra Prime PHEV around the corner, then that's my next vehicle without question. I say this holding my R1T reservation and a very early F-150 Lightning reservation. Both will get refunded and go towards lots of off-road goodies :)
On the flip side, I feel (or someone with Toyota knowledge told me) like the Toyota PHEVs are CARB compliance vehicles, money losers for Toyota, hence the limited market sales of their vehicles.

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I made my reservation earlier this year, so already knew there is going awhile before I get one. I am ok waiting as long as the current vehicle that will get replaced won't quit running unexpectedly. Having said that, if there is a comparable 7-seat BEV SUV available, I would certain look into that alternative.

GR

boneil1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
dont' have much of a choice but to wait, I really want an electric truck. I could order a Cyber Truck today but I wouldn't get it till probably 2025 at the earliest. There's already over a million pre orders. Similar with the Ford lightning, over a 100k orders and production is going to be limited at first. Rivian pre orders will jump once they get some on the road. Just gonna keep the vehicles we have a little longer.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'm fine with waiting. Get it right. I'm also not butt-hurt like some people who feel Rivian is deceitful about the delays, or expect a weekly pacifier release from Rivian. The entitlement attitude people have regarding Rivian is just short of amazing.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I'm fine with waiting. Get it right. I'm also not butt-hurt like some people who feel Rivian is deceitful about the delays, or expect a weekly pacifier release from Rivian. The entitlement attitude people have regarding Rivian is just short of amazing.
Agreed.
to me at least, it’s pretty apparent that getting production sorted is the main priority. There are announcements only once things are ready.

That same attitude of entitlement seems commonplace for many things affected by the last year and a half of a deadly global pandemic(which is still not over). ‘I want it now and I don’t care why I don’t have it yet’

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
Agreed.
to me at least, it’s pretty apparent that getting production sorted is the main priority. There are announcements only once things are ready.

That same attitude of entitlement seems commonplace for many things affected by the last year and a half of a deadly global pandemic(which is still not over). ‘I want it now and I don’t care why I don’t have it yet’
Not excited about the announcement on Friday but to be honest over the past couple of months it appeared the launch constraint was the buildout of service centers. Hopefully during this production delay they can ramp up their service buildout (particularly in either Atlanta or Nashville :)

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Not excited about the announcement on Friday but to be honest over the past couple of months it appeared the launch constraint was the buildout of service centers. Hopefully during this production delay they can ramp up their service buildout (particularly in either Atlanta or Nashville :)
I’m glad I don’t work for rivian, namely in anything close to production.

we customers just have to sit and wait for our ~$100k luxury items.
The word “weekend” probably does not exist at rivian right now.

I don’t think service centres were the primary constraint. Still production. If anything not having the service centres in place bought more time for production ramp up.
There’s no such thing as too much time when commissioning new production equipment

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
.....The entitlement attitude people have regarding Rivian is just short of amazing.
Agreed.....

....... ‘I want it now and I don’t care why I don’t have it yet’
Unless you've walked in another's shoes, it really is different and you might have a different perspective for their situation. Then again, you might not, but I would. You see it as "entitled" and I see it as venting. Everyone here knows there's nothing they can do to speed up the process, so they vent. You may find it perfectly okay waiting and I think that's a good attitude. Maybe you're young and have time to wait. Some on this forum aren't as fortunate as yourself.

I'm pretty sure everyone here realizes we are only "entitled" to a deposit refund and can move on if we wish, so I view all the negative comments as "venting your frustrations", which I've already posted elsewhere. Some on this forum are good listeners and share their sentiments, whereas some just don't want to hear "venting" at all. They, to me, seem to have a loyalty to Rivian, that I don't view as earned yet, other than believing they eventually will.

Some folks get upset and use the "Ignore" button. I don't have a problem with that either, but I prefer to read everyone's comments.

If you look back, most of the "venting" didn't take place until about the middle of May, when we were promised Guide contact. Folks here were starting to speculate, mainly because of little, to no, communication from Rivian. The first contact wasn't made until the last working day in May (28th), to only find out production was again being delayed from June to July. Now it's delayed 'till September. By the time production starts and trucks are delivered, some here on the forum will have waited nearly 3 years. When they first placed their order, production was to begin at the end of 2020. Pandemic, or not, I get their frustration, but to confuse it with "entitlement", is a bit of a stretch for me.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It's a crappy thing to call people "entitled" because they're frustrated that commitments were broken.

Rivian made the commitments; no one held a gun to their collective heads. It's reasonable to be a bit frustrated when they break their commitments multiple times.

If you're not frustrated, great... But insulting others about it? Grow up.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
You may find it perfectly okay waiting and I think that's a good attitude. Maybe you're young and have time to wait. Some on this forum aren't as fortunate as yourself.
I'm pretty sure everyone here realizes we are only "entitled" to a deposit refund and can move on if we wish, so I view all the negative comments as "venting your frustrations", which I've already posted elsewhere.
I'm not young, but I'm willing to wait.

I'm ok with venting. But I have to speak up when the venting becomes accusations of intentional deceit, lying, etc. by Rivian. There is simply no evidence of this. I've experienced the challenges Rivian is experiencing first hand, many times over the past 30 years, on high tech new factory/new product startups for Fortune 500 companies. Despite everyone's best intentions and efforts from the CEO down to the production workers, things go bad and unforeseen issues happen at the last minute. Combined with the reality of worldwide COVID supply chain problems which are well documented online, it's nonsense to accuse Rivian of intentional deceit. Are they struggling? Yes, absolutely. I'm not a Rivian loyal fanboy, I've just experienced these challenges from the inside and know what they are going through.

Regarding entitlement, it is define *"the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment."* Many here think that since they have a $1000 refundable pre-order in place, they deserve more information, weekly emails, free upgrades due to the delays, etc. That fits the definition perfectly, does it not?

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
I’m fine to wait a few months longer to make sure the quality is where it should be. Don’t want an early production tesla with misfit panels. Would I love to sell my car now when o can get max $$$ for a used car…absolutely…will I buy another car right now…NO…don’t see another 850HP 4 wheel drive electric SUV out there for <$80k…there isn’t even one remotely close to hitting production from anyone else.
Corporate communication is bad and the CEO finally acknowledged that. Let’s see if he invests the time ans energy to improve it, but equally I’d rather have them focus on production and I get all the info I need when we can get a test drive in September. Hoping for a delivery 12/23 with a red bow on it ?
Sponsored