Sponsored

The speed of "right". Does anyone really care when deliveries start?

Your Opinion on Rivian Delivery delays

• I don't mind a bit...Rivian can move forward at the speed of "right". I'll get it when its ready

• I'm happy to wait, even for several months, but not forever

• I'm OK waiting, but not much longer and the delay is disappointing

• I'm really upset they can't make the projected delivery dates. Considering other options

• I'm angry enough at the delays that I'm canceling my order

Results are only viewable after voting.

brainf18

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2C, Porsche 911, Porsche 904
When it comes to taking delivery of a new product, especially as one as complicated as a vehicle with all kinds of tech, I'm happy to let Rivian proceed at the "Speed of Right". Yes it would be nice to have my new Rivian sooner vs later but I'm happy to wait.

What does everyone else think?
Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
When it comes to taking delivery of a new product, especially as one as complicated as a vehicle with all kinds of tech, I'm happy to let Rivian proceed at the "Speed of Right". Yes it would be nice to have my new Rivian sooner vs later but I'm happy to wait.

So how many more delays are you ok with?

OP
OP
brainf18

brainf18

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Probably like many car buyers, I don't "need" the Rivian, today, next month or even next year. I'm happy to continue to drive the cars I have now until its ready. So while I can't image the delays will be more than a few months, I'd be perfectly happy waiting a year or more.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Missing option: I'm pretty annoyed I will have to wait longer but won't be exploring other options.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Since I haven't committed or even know if I want to buy the vehicle, I'm OK with waiting.
I placed my preorder to get on the list to get access to preorder customer events. I also assumed at the time that preorder holders would get the first test drives.
I was pretty certain that their timelines would slip, and they have. COVID multiplied the difficulties for a startup and we aren't done with the "aftershocks" that are still impacting businesses in many ways. It will be some time before we get back to "normal".

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I can't say I'm happy about the delays but at worst I'm mildly disappointed, far from feeling as annoyed and frustrated as many forum members here profess to be. Honestly, some of the complaining around here sounds like it comes from spoiled 8 yr old brats. Shit happens and it doesn't really matter what or why, Rivians will ship when they ship.

For me... I will continue to wait until there is a readily available alternative to the R1S (and even then I may continue to wait on the Rivian). Some people just want to drive something/anything electric but crossovers like Mach E and ID4 don't cut it for me and currently there is absolutely nothing on the horizon even remotely close to the Rivian. Lucid's Project Gravity may be the first real contender but it is still too early to say. While delayed, I still feel the end of the waiting is in sight and I'll have my R1S well before any other options materialize.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Speed of right is fine with me, if it is genuine supply constraints then why dont they finalize software, other details of the interior, exterior with 1 perfect model to let folks know how it would be. Technically they should have had this done weeks ago if supply chain was the only issue.

I do believe supply is a factor for getting customers their trucks but I also believe a LOT of other major factors play into the delays and supply is maybe 1/10 of 10/10 major issues. I think they had some poor planning on their part and again supply chain played a hand but man power, workforce, location roll out, customer service infrastructure (chase portal, mobile app, etc) needed more time to mature and to also get ready.

Lastly they can take another year but I still see 0 communication even the day after they said communication would be better or that they are working on it. You would think they followed up that email with a little something.

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
“the timing for the first deliveries of the R1T has shifted to September”

“We are also preparing for a multi-city, multi-format drive program set to roll out in September. You’ll start to see Rivian charging sites and service centers being built in your local communities; and as we head into the end of the year, you’ll also start to see events, programs and spaces where we’ll be able to bring our Rivian community together.” RJ

More of the same old noncommittal first deliveries…. in September rhetoric. Nothing new here or anything to get excited about. Maybe mid to late next year. Wonder how many will have moved on as the rest of the market is poised to blow by Rivian.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
I'm in the "old as dirt" group and I don't have the luxury of being able to wait, if I want an electric truck. Since I don't drive cars, I will choose whichever electric truck becomes available to me first, excluding the Cybertruck. With this latest delay, it may well be in direct competition with one of it's investors......Ford (F-150 Lightning). I prefer the Rivian, but perfectly okay with the other.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Thanks for the poll. I’m curious to see how this plays out. It would have been interesting to see two polls: one for the R1T and one for the R1S or three polls: R1T, 5-seat R1S, and 7-seat R1S.

The truck buyers have other EV options in the pipeline with the F-150 Lightning, Hummer, Cybertruck, and the offering from Lordstown, in theory.

The 5-seat SUV EV buyers have the upcoming Hummer if they’re okay with the size and weight jump.

Those of us looking for a 7-seat SUV have no upcoming EV options outside of Rivian. I suspect that the 7-seat buyers are going to be the most patient of the bunch, assuming we’re dedicated to an EV.

I didn’t include the Model X in the 5- and 7-seat categories because the off-road capabilities from the factory aren’t competitive and because if SUV shoppers wanted a Model X they probably wouldn’t be looking at a Rivian.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I would have preferred an option for “I am OK with the delays, but if comms don’t improve I will likely cancel”. Comms is 100% in Rivian’s control and something that it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to fix. The past 6 months have been a huge disappointment in that regard. Hopefully their acknowledgement of such will translate to improvement. Time will tell.

I selected “Happy to wait, but not forever”. If my F-150 Lightening number comes up and Rivian has done nothing to restore my confidence, I will likely go with Ford. But I’ll reserve final judgment until that time.

OP
OP
brainf18

brainf18

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would have preferred an option for “I am OK with the delays, but if comms don’t improve I will likely cancel”. Comms is 100% in Rivian’s control and something that it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to fix. The past 6 months have been a huge disappointment in that regard. Hopefully their acknowledgement of such will translate to improvement. Time will tell.

I selected “Happy to wait, but not forever”. If my F-150 Lightening number comes up and Rivian has done nothing to restore my confidence, I will likely go with Ford. But I’ll reserve final judgment until that time.
Good point...I tried to separate the communications issues from the delivery issues, but they are intertwined. It was nice to see RJ acknowledge the communications problems in his note. Hopefully that'll improve. Time will tell...

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
As long as my 2002 Avalanche is still running I'm ok with waiting, once it is dead I may have to purchase an ICE truck if the R1s are not available.

OP
OP
brainf18

brainf18

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ll wait as long as it takes. But if something better comes along in the meantime, I’ll jump ship.
Capitalism at its finest! Nothing more American than voting with your feet if a company doesn't meet your needs or expectations.
Sponsored