Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

HIs Instagram TRX Review is great.
I'm sure he'll take it on his usual off-road route, but it's not a difficult trail by any means. Really I watch him for driving impression reviews in the LA canyons...so I'm hoping he'll do a One Take of it.

Sponsored

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
I just want to see what mileage he's getting with the 22s. Seems like the 20s are just under 200 at 70% vs maybe 210 at 70% on the 22s (back of napkin math)

Just seems to me these will not be the best road tripping vehicles out there. Maybe with 800v they'll be better but with the 400v design not so great.

Totally hope I'm dead nuts wrong!

Last edited:

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
How exactly do large EV trucks make the planet worse, not better? Sure, if you're comparing it to everyone owning an EV sedan instead, but the comparison is EV truck to ICE truck, and in every way the EV is better for the planet.

No need for me to bother reading anything this guy says if he actually believes R1Ts are making the planet worse. Idiocy.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
How exactly do large EV trucks make the planet worse, not better? Sure, if you're comparing it to everyone owning an EV sedan instead, but the comparison is EV truck to ICE truck, and in every way the EV is better for the planet.

No need for me to bother reading anything this guy says if he actually believes R1Ts are making the planet worse. Idiocy.
I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that big trucks for rich pricks don’t make the world any better for anyone else and what we really need is public transportation and a massive reimagining of transportation infrastructure if what we want is to stave off the worst effects of climate change.

Watching people prance around in 100k virtue signals must be infuriating for people who believe humans can act collectively to save the planet.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that big trucks for rich pricks don’t make the world any better for anyone else and what we really need is public transportation and a massive reimagining of transportation infrastructure if what we want is to stave off the worst effects of climate change.

Watching people prance around in 100k virtue signals must be infuriating for people who believe humans can act collectively to save the planet.
I am one of those people that believes we can collectively do so much better. I firmly believe that humanity can collectively achieve anything we choose to.

I also believe that a massive rethinking of public transportation would be very beneficial. I would note that it's not as simple as that sounds. Easy in big cities where populations are dense and concentrated. Not so easy where I grew up in the midwest. Regardless, there are solutions to those problems that would make the world a better place, objectively.

I also believe that showing there is money in EVs via my purchase of a 100k vehicle helps push large corporations, who have done the bulk of the harm to our planet, to rethink their approach. It's an early adopter tax, and I firmly believe that those of us fortunate enough to be able to afford it should pay it, so those that can't don't have to down the road.

The issue I have with what you said is that these things are not mutually exclusive. Buying a 100k EV truck can help the planet. Fixing public transportation can help the planet. Reducing power generation via polluting technologies can help the planet.

We can do *all* of these at the same time.

So again - I read the statement as EV trucks are a net negative, which they simply are not. Research in this area is still evolving, but a cursory google search or two can find you a number of scientifically-reviewed publications indicating that EVs of any kind, even expensive trucks, reduce environmental impact. The biggest area of uncertainty is still relating to quantification of lithium mining and use, but as we move to better technologies, that too will be solved.

EDIT: I'd also say - I'm not rich, though I am sometimes a prick. Also - what's wrong with virtue signaling? By definition it is simply me showing that I follow through with actions the things that I believe. Why is there a negative connotation attached to that? I wish the world had more people 'virtue signaling' in relation to environmental protection.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I am one of those people that believes we can collectively do so much better. I firmly believe that humanity can collectively achieve anything we choose to.

I also believe that a massive rethinking of public transportation would be very beneficial. I would note that it's not as simple as that sounds. Easy in big cities where populations are dense and concentrated. Not so easy where I grew up in the midwest. Regardless, there are solutions to those problems that would make the world a better place, objectively.

I also believe that showing there is money in EVs via my purchase of a 100k vehicle helps push large corporations, who have done the bulk of the harm to our planet, to rethink their approach. It's an early adopter tax, and I firmly believe that those of us fortunate enough to be able to afford it should pay it, so those that can't don't have to down the road.

The issue I have with what you said is that these things are not mutually exclusive. Buying a 100k EV truck can help the planet. Fixing public transportation can help the planet. Reducing power generation via polluting technologies can help the planet.

So again - I read the statement as EV trucks are a net negative, which they simply are not. Research in this area is still evolving, but a cursory google search or two can find you a number of scientifically-reviewed publications indicating that EVs of any kind, even expensive trucks, reduce environmental impact. The biggest area of uncertainty is still relating to quantification of lithium mining and use, but as we move to better technologies, that too will be solved.
I sure hope you’re right. Either way I’m really going to enjoy the truck. I still think the only thing that can save humanity is a much much more effective plague.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser

I listen to his podcast and he's at a lot of SoCal car events here. I think that if you don't know what he's about it, this one comment comes across differently. He has lots of ICE cars but also a Mach E. He's definitely pro-EV. He also drives a scooter when he can because it's a better way to get around LA and very efficient.

He just had a podcast with Alissa Walker all about the future of public transportation, EV infrastructure, etc and this comment probably builds from some of that discussion. There are lots of issues with battery recycling and other materials in EVs, but I think they completely acknowledge that EVs will be better for the environment.

The larger issue he's speaking to is simply about moving people with the least amount of energy and pollution. If you are a single person driving an R1T every day and not really using it off road or for truck stuff it isn't an efficient use of energy. We all know that. You'd be better off in a model 3 or one of the new Kia/Hyundais etc. Something more efficient.

But if you are someone who needs a truck and can buy an electric truck instead of an ICE truck now and drive it for 10 years - there is a big benefit to the environment assuming we can properly deal with the battery at end of life.

I don't think he was trying to knock Rivian or the R1T specifically. The fact is all these truck EVs are the least efficient EVs you can buy. That's just what it is. But they are still a great move for the future.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser

EDIT: I'd also say - I'm not rich, though I am sometimes a prick. Also - what's wrong with virtue signaling? By definition it is simply me showing that I follow through with actions the things that I believe. Why is there a negative connotation attached to that? I wish the world had more people 'virtue signaling' in relation to environmental protection.
Your response popped up just after I posted mine. I agree with all these points and they reflect a lot of my purchase decision making as well. I also am someone who needs a truck to do truck stuff (I have two horses to pull occasionally). luckily I don't have to take them long distances. If I did, I'd get a hybrid truck, but for me the R1T ticks all the boxes and will be a good example of the EV truck future we have to look forward too.

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The larger issue he's speaking to is simply about moving people with the least amount of energy and pollution. If you are a single person driving an R1T every day and not really using it off road or for truck stuff it isn't an efficient use of energy. We all know that. You'd be better off in a model 3 or one of the new Kia/Hyundais etc. Something more efficient.

I don't think he was trying to knock Rivian or the R1T specifically. The fact is all these truck EVs are the least efficient EVs you can buy. That's just what it is. But they are still a great move for the future.
I agree that this is probably more what his comment was about. My MINI gets 4 mi/kWh pretty easily, but the only way I can justify the R1T is rolling both my MINI and my 4Runner into the one vehicle. So on the one hand my daily driver becomes less efficient, but on the other, I'm going to a vehicle in my little fleet. Mixed bag, I guess, since the ICE just goes to another person...it's not like it comes off the road, etc. But it is eating at me that my daily driver will be half as efficient as what I have now. I wish I could keep the MINI while adding the R1T, but I really do want to downsize and I'm not getting rid of my sports car.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait

AMEN!
Sponsored