Sponsored

The Second Row Display (what is it for?)

weathermission

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.weathermission.com
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge
The Motortrend article mentions "Rear-seat occupants also have a 6.8-inch screen of their own mounted on the back of the center console." And we have seen photos of it circulating as well as clearly in the article. Anyone have any idea what this is intended for? Climate controls, netflix, etc?

Rivian R1T R1S The Second Row Display (what is it for?) 2022-Rivian-R1T-22
Sponsored

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

The Motortrend article mentions "Rear-seat occupants also have a 6.8-inch screen of their own mounted on the back of the center console." And we have seen photos of it circulating as well as clearly in the article. Anyone have any idea what this is intended for? Climate controls, netflix, etc?

2022-Rivian-R1T-22.jpg
Rear seat climate controls.

Rivian R1T R1S The Second Row Display (what is it for?) 1630615500985

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Rear seat climate controls.

1630615500985.png
6.8" screen just for climate control in the back row of a mid-size truck?
Seems a bit excessive to me, maybe they could use it for other things with an OTA update in the future?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Seems a bit excessive to me, maybe they could use it for other things with an OTA update in the future?
My Volvo has a similar screen and it's nice. Don't underestimate the value in letting passengers choose their own comfort settings.

Both outboard positions can choose their own temperature, heated seat options, and it looks like the dome light will also be toggled via the screen.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Be cool if you could hand over DJ duties to kids or they can look at a map/timeline to self-answer "Are we there yet?" lol

Sponsored

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

No way in hell do I want my kids to DJ!
No need for a screen. They’ll just scream “Alexa, play space unicorn” if they are anything like my kids.

We have the “Are we there yet app?” On the odyssey and it’s great for the kids but it only works when you use in car navigation which means it’s useless if I actually want to figure out where I need to go.

Hoping Rivian navigation will rival google/Waze

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

Just noticed there is temperature on each side of the rear screen. So I’m assuming there will be quad zone climate control (2 in front and 2 in rear). I felt fancy getting dual zone finally lol

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Just noticed there is temperature on each side of the rear screen. So I’m assuming there will be quad zone climate control (2 in front and 2 in rear). I felt fancy getting dual zone finally lol
Maybe it shows the Map route during trips. I know that entertains some people during flights

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Don't underestimate the need for big buttons in the back. You are hunching over trying to smoosh a 1x1 square while in a moving vehicle.

I hope it's not for Netflix or such, that viewing angle would have you cursing every God imaginable in an hour or so.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like we are in an era where a big touch screen is cheaper for the manufactures than a bunch of buttons that they have to design and test and make look well built. That is the unfortunate reason there are very little real buttons.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like we are in an era where a big touch screen is cheaper for the manufactures than a bunch of buttons that they have to design and test and make look well built. That is the unfortunate reason there are very little real buttons.
Touch screens that size can be bought in bulk quantities for $10 - $40 each. So yeah, all things considered, it's more cost effective to use a screen than to design, prototype, make molds, and manufacture physical controls.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Touch screens that size can be bought in bulk quantities for $10 - $40 each. So yeah, all things considered, it's more cost effective to use a screen than to design, prototype, make molds, and manufacture physical controls.
The other factor is only one place you have to engineer the button. Easier to install and can be customized later.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
This is espescially true if they realize later that they require new functionality on the panel or need to change the size/shape/location of the buttons or features on a given panel.

OP
OP
weathermission

weathermission

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.weathermission.com
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge

2022-Rivian-R1T-22.jpg
@DuckTruck or anyone else who attended the event in Normal see what they had besides climate? If anything?
Sponsored