Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

My understanding is that the electric power generated by electric motors has to be used by something in order for the motors to provide resistance to rotation.

Normally, the power generated goes to the batteries and that’s how regen works. When the batteries are full there is no place for the electric power to go so there is no braking effect.

Maybe a manufacturer could add a giant resistance heating element which could be connected to the motor output only when the battery is full and there is zero throttle. This could turn the excess electrical energy into waste heat. It would mimic the way friction brakes turn mechanical energy into waste heat. Manufacturers haven’t done this, as far as I know, so it must not be worth the expense.
maybe they should have the mechanical brake trigger when the battery is full to mimic regen braking so that to the driver, they don't experience a sudden change in driving dynamics. which is kinda funny in a way: regen braking is designed to mimic mechanical braking but here we need mechanical breaking to mimic regen braking.
Sponsored

Florida Boy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX300h, Toyota Tacoma
The comment about not having real time tire pressure is puzzling to me as I could swear one of the many videos I watched from the reviews showed a tire pressure status screen on the driver's display. Maybe that was a different software version or that screen isn't available when driving?
I was thinking the same thing...

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Unfortunately, the problem is not limited to off-road situations. I've actually found it to be a safety issue at times on my Model S when you expect the car to slow down and it doesn't. That's one of the reasons I never charge the battery to 100%, unless I'm going on a road trip. When I do, I have to remember that I won't have any regen for the first 10-15 minutes of the trip.
Yeah, it sometimes catches me off guard when I don't get regen on lift-off with my ID.4 when I leave the house. Fortunately my foot knows to go to the break, but having some logic built in to apply the mechanical break to provide consistency would be nice.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I've been driving a Tesla for almost 7 years, and agree with the above comments that in practice it's a non-issue. The very rare times it's occurred have been when charged to 100% for a trip (which I don't need to do now that the supercharger network is built out) and in very low temps when the car didn't have time to precondition the battery (for normal commuting the car will learn your schedule).

Even in those conditions, the car throws a warning that regen is temporarily limited, and you just drive it like an ICE car for a few blocks.

The only use case where it might be an issue is if you live somewhere it gets very cold, have an irregular schedule, and always charge to 100% and also live on top of mountain.

Even then, as noted above, the car already has a well-proven system for turning kinetic (or potential) energy into heat if the battery is full.

Last edited:

Revo

First Name
Revo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Captain
The answer is on the Rivian.com site;

Reinforced underbody shield
Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for maximum protection in the most extreme off-road conditions.
Thanks For the information about the under battery protection. I appreciate that, but does anybody know what exactly you get for the $2000 for the offroad package I know you get the tow hooks but what else is included?
Thank you!

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
does anybody know what exactly you get for the $2000 for the offroad package I know you get the tow hooks but what else is included?
From the online configurator:

Off-Road Upgrade
Outfit your SUV for maximum off-roading capability with more durable equipment.
FEATURES
  • Reinforced underbody shield
  • Dual, front bumper tow hooks

Revo

First Name
Revo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Captain
From the online configurator:

Off-Road Upgrade
Outfit your SUV for maximum off-roading capability with more durable equipment.
FEATURES
  • Reinforced underbody shield
  • Dual, front bumper tow hooks
Thanks did not see that.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Looks like the under body shield didn't do a very good job at protecting the under side during this rally; plastic shields held up with plastic clips per article. I think I'm going to delete this Off-Road package from both my R1T and R1S, save $4000...

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
The braking should be an easy software fix as the truck already applies friction brakes for the last few mph anyway for true one pedal driving. Will there come a time when there is no brake pedal at all? My stepdaughter can't drive a manual transmission as it is, the clutch pedal has become an anachronism especially in this day of 10 speed automatic transmissions. No worries for ZF, as they made the transition from gearboxes for Zeppelins to todays reliable compact wonders. They'll adapt or be assimilated.

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
maybe they should have the mechanical brake trigger when the battery is full to mimic regen braking so that to the driver, they don't experience a sudden change in driving dynamics. which is kinda funny in a way: regen braking is designed to mimic mechanical braking but here we need mechanical breaking to mimic regen braking.
Yup... Exactly like the Nissan Leaf does.

My suspicion is they wanted the range rating and they are tested in the "Default" configuration. In the Leaf "B" mode mimics the Rivian driving mode. Technically it is more efficient because it drags at max regen, but not anymore (which would require mechanical brakes, and efficiency loss). When you use your foot, you can never modulate it that perfectly and usually have some efficiency loss.

Still, that does not excuse allowing the portion that is braking that can be regened, to be regened.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The braking should be an easy software fix as the truck already applies friction brakes for the last few mph anyway for true one pedal driving. Will there come a time when there is no brake pedal at all? My stepdaughter can't drive a manual transmission as it is, the clutch pedal has become an anachronism especially in this day of 10 speed automatic transmissions. No worries for ZF, as they made the transition from gearboxes for Zeppelins to todays reliable compact wonders. They'll adapt or be assimilated.
I'm not a fan of one peddle, because it doesn't work for semi-aggressive city driving. (Think: Chicago/NY cabbie).

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Looks like the under body shield didn't do a very good job at protecting the under side during this rally; plastic shields held up with plastic clips per article. I think I'm going to delete this Off-Road package from both my R1T and R1S, save $4000...
Any confirmation she actually had the Kevlar off road package? And not the base plastic plate?

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Any confirmation she actually had the Kevlar off road package? And not the base plastic plate?
The pics shows front tow hooks on the R1T which is part of the $2000 Off-Road package.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The pics shows front tow hooks on the R1T which is part of the $2000 Off-Road package.
I think that's a fair assumption. Although if the vehicle is pre-production, anything can be questioned. I ask because it's supposed to be kevlar, not plastic.
Sponsored