Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

R1S matte PPF looks freakin awesome.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
R1S SUV destroys hatchback

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Just watched portions of it. At my home, the R1S has won over the family and I will be selling my Model X. It is technically on sale but I haven't put in the effort to list it yet (chilly winter). Will get more diligent about it in Jan.

Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
"Just bought a new car. Way better than my old car, which was getting boring and old."

Gotta say these videos don't offer much insight. Grumpy old man in me says I am tired of influencers with meticulously-coiffed hair hunting for clicks.

We are looking forward to our R1S. Never wanted an X. Cannot imagine a lot of people cross-shopping these. Very different vibe.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Matte is just not for me, love a shinny glossy metallic paint finish. Can't wait to get mine and ceramic coat it.

HeresRonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Gambler
I’m awaiting a R1S pre-order that will replace a Tesla Model X. Size wise they don’t seem to be much of a comparison. The model X doesn’t have as much space as you’d think once you put in car seats, luggage, etc. Rented a Tahoe on a vacation once and the space blew my mind but it was huge. Hoping the R1S is somewhere in the middle size-wise.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That lift gate is far less misaligned/panel gappy than on my R1S.

Sponsored

John R1Tter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think they do appeal to the same crowd in some ways. I own both, because that is the closest to a real SUV that Tesla offers. I much prefer the R1S - I even prefer it to my R1T, but my kids and wife prefer the MX. If I had to choose, the MX would be sold in a second for the R1S. Less "neat" stuff, but it drives better, it's quieter, and it's more useful space.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Except in dc fast charging. That is my only gripe switching from Tesla to a Rivian. 3rd party dc fast chargers suck.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Tesla at 135K OTD for a base model and a Rivian R1S is $30k cheaper easily. That 30k can pay for a lot of rental cars and other things where the R1S is deficient.

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Just watched portions of it. At my home, the R1S has won over the family and I will be selling my Model X. It is technically on sale but I haven't put in the effort to list it yet (chilly winter). Will get more diligent about it in Jan.
I am looking at doing the same and am questioning the decision. Have a decent offer on my (pretty new) Model X Plaid.

You are happier with the Rivian over the Model X?

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Personally for me, I am happier with the Rivian R1S. I just sold my Model X last week. The Rivian wins on the following.

1. Ride comfort [suspension damping, seat comfort, shielding from the sun, better ride height and road view ]
  2. Quieter cabin [it is way quieter than the model X and my previous model S]. Can easily listen to each other in the R1S.
  3. Good for snowy conditions and rough terrains. Had some snow recently and the R1S drove like a tank.
  4. Comfortable rear seats for the kids. [big seats, more room at the rear, mid seat split for drink storage]
  5. Utilitarian space. [split rear door, mid seat storage at both front and rear]
  6. Driver+ works on freeways and meets my needs for the occasional freeway drives [working from home after covid]. You can equate this to Tesla Autopilot.
  7. Accurate range prediction. The range depicted on the R1S is more like what you see is what you get unlike Tesla where the range depicted would reduce quickly based on driving conditions.

TBH, I am not missing the Model X and if I have to quote a few points, there would be 2.

1. Supercharging network - Since 99% of my charging is at home, haven't missed it much. There are many 3rd party charging stations and I will go with those.
  2. Falcon wing doors - The kids loved it.
After getting nothing more than party tricks from FSD on my Model S, I opted to not buy FSD on my model X. No comparison here.

Home charging with the Rivian charger is the same experience as the Model X. No change here.

Hope this helps. Here's my first take on the R1S the day we got it.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...el-cap-granite-bm-20-at-and-shes-lovely.9827/

A thread on AP versus Driver+ -> https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...a-autopilot-an-extensive-owners-review.11518/

PS: I haven't been a great performance fan while driving though I love Formula 1. So, haven't floored my R1S yet but it has better figures on paper for 0 to 60 compared to my Model X.
Sponsored