2022 Tesla Model S LR
The RAN DCFC Stations are in full production,

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I see enough ready-to-ship pedestals for at least 2, maybe 3 locations just in that one photo . . .

If we assume they've pushed their "3,500+ chargers through 2023" back a full year -- now plan to finish by 2024 -- then they'll need to produce an average of ~30 or so per week with no breaks. (really that's not quite right because there's lag between rolling off the line and turning it on onsite, so more like 40/week through September-October-ish 2024?

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I see enough ready-to-ship pedestals for at least 2, maybe 3 locations just in that one photo . . .

If we assume they've pushed their "3,500+ chargers through 2023" back a full year -- now plan to finish by 2024 -- then they'll need to produce an average of ~30 or so per week with no breaks. (really that's not quite right because there's lag between rolling off the line and turning it on onsite, so more like 40/week through September-October-ish 2024?
Sites are the issue, not hardware. This is probably why we see them in EV friendly CA & CO, easier to stand up a site.

Permitting and grid upgrades are the long pole in the tent.

odingrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I might have missed it, but what are the charging speeds for these?

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Sites are the issue, not hardware. This is probably why we see them in EV friendly CA & CO, easier to stand up a site.

Even in EV friendly CA it takes a long time. Last year Tesla added a 12 station Supercharger around the corner from my house it took over 6 months from when they broke ground to when the station was powered up.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

Of course the biggest factor will be their ability to get permits and the necessary electrical service, but when we're constantly reminded about supply chain problems affecting things like electrical components, chips, etc., all of which are pretty important to building these chargers, it's hard to not wonder if they'll actually be able to build that many charging units.

FWIW, they are making some forward progress on locations outside CA and CO, even if those aren't activated yet. Will they get to their 600+ stations with 3500+ chargers by end of 2024? We'll see, I guess.

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Technically they are supposed to be a Max of 350KW, as far as I know (With 800V foresight).
At the very least they are supposed to handle 500A with 400V without breaking a sweat.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Technically they are supposed to be a Max of 350KW, as far as I know (With 800V foresight).
At the very least they are supposed to handle 500A with 400V without breaking a sweat.
350kW isn't a hard limit for CCS. If everything involved can handle 500A at 440V, it could be designed to handle it at 880V too.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I hit a max of 215KW when i used them and they had a very good charging curve.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
350kW isn't a hard limit for CCS. If everything involved can handle 500A at 440V, it could be designed to handle it at 880V too.
Yeah true. If it can do 500A it should theoretically hit the 400KW range with 800V.

But I have not seen this even with the existing 800V DCFC stations yet. Most of these 800V stations are rated at 350KW and cars like Taycan and eTron GT are shown to hit 250 to 270 KW.

Even Tesla with V3 super chargers have not broken the 300KW mark from what I am seeing.

Maybe Rivian might be the first!

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Even in EV friendly CA it takes a long time. Last year Tesla added a 12 station Supercharger around the corner from my house it took over 6 months from when they broke ground to when the station was powered up.
I can one up you on this one. One of the SC stations near me in CA took almost 2 years after the stalls were up, to actually be operational. It took so long, that they are still V2, while all the other new ones around here are V3 lol.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I can one up you on this one. One of the SC stations near me in CA took almost 2 years after the stalls were up, to actually be operational. It took so long, that they are still V2, while all the other new ones around here are V3 lol.
Red Tape.....