Sponsored

The One Dealbreakers Thread to Rule Them All

For those that have dealbreakers, what is your NO KIDDING dealbreaker?

• Total voters

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Please feel free to use this thread to DUMP all of your dealbreakers here. This way threads "shouldn't" get oversaturated with all the things that people think Rivian is missing in their R1 vehicle lineup.

Thanks!
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I’m disappointed about several choices RivIan has made, but I’m keeping my reservation until I can test drive and make a final decision if the rest of the vehicle is good enough to make me okay with the shortfalls.

Carplay being absent Is a major oversight, for me. Rivian had better have excellent integration with Apple Music and offer Siri Eyes-Free. If they don’t, then that will be a true deal-breaker for me. I’m not spending >$90k on a vehicle that I still need to reach into my pocket and stare at my phone (illegal) to change the music I’m listening to.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I don't have any dealbreakers, but selected my top gripes.

Maybe people should select gripes & comment on dealbreakers?

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
I also don't have any deal breakers at this point. The major disappointment is lack of Android Auto.

For now the only possible deal breakers I can think about are:
1. No proper blind spot monitoring system in side mirrors
2. No 360 top-down camera view
3. Service center further than 45 minute drive.

Kind of got confirmation for features 1 and 2 from customer support, but still waiting for official info on the page.

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I don't really have any gripes or dealbreakers. I need to haul my family and our gear over mountain passes in comfort, and I don't see many open questions that really impact that. In the spirit of the thread:
  1. I need a way to listen to a podcast in my garage while working on my mountain bike, and have it pick up seamlessly when I start driving. Android Auto solves that. So does a regular bluetooth connection. I hope the solution I end up with isn't too clunky.
  2. I'm concerned about the high altitude desert sun with a full glass roof. All the real-world evidence indicates this will be a non-issue, but if it is a problem, I'll just tint it myself, or add a sheet of blackout material.
  3. I would have bought the max pack if it was available at launch, but the large pack will be adequate for 99% of my driving, and for that last 1%, I'll just have to plan an extra stop.
  4. I'd like better communications, but we are still far enough out that demanding it is asking more from Rivian than any other automaker normally provides. It would be great to see a campaign where we could reliably count on new info on a regular cadence, and I really am baffled as to why they aren't saying "everything you need to know will be released by May 1st" (for example) or "charging locations that will be launched in 2021 will be released by Junetober eleventeenth". We'll all know when to expect something, and if it comes early, great.
I've owned a lot of cars and none have been perfect. I'm confident the R1T won't be either, and I don't really have an issue with that.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Only deal breakers would be (currently):
  • No ability to test drive
  • Seat comfort issues (for SWMBO)

Not deal breakers, but in the "con" column:
  • Inability to see colors and finishes in person

Deal breakers (for others) that have been discussed:
  • Lack of a Leasing option from Rivian/Chase.
  • No 400+ mile R1S will be offered

Might add those to your list

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
Deal breakers: (LE R1S)
  1. No ability to test drive
  2. Interior dimensions: Second row legroom, based on data seems to be small. Need to see it in person before making purchase
  3. Charging infrastructure

Potential deal breakers:
  • Good financing (low APR) or leasing option
  • Hoping 300+ means 330-350 miles so real useable is somewhat closer to 300.
  • Road noise

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Deal breakers: (LE R1S)
  1. No ability to test drive
  2. Interior dimensions: Second row legroom, based on data seems to be small. Need to see it in person before making purchase
  3. Charging infrastructure

Potential deal breakers:
  • Good financing (low APR) or leasing option
  • Hoping 300+ means 330-350 miles so real useable is somewhat closer to 300.
  • Road noise
UPdated

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Add?
  • No fold flat (100%?) seats in the R1S
  • The way the R1T rear seats fold (or don't)
  • Lack of 120V in the Frunk
  • Tailgate control location
  • Motorcycle tie down capability
  • Fitting a camper shell
  • Design of the Gear Tunnel door latch
  • No standard spare
  • Can't fit bigger tires
  • Can't fit smaller wheels
  • Black wheels too expensive
  • Colors cost more
  • Only one tire available for the 21s

So many people have complained about different various details - at this rate nobody is going to buy one ?

Sponsored

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
My only deal breaker will have to do with service and maybe the lack of charging infrastructure in Alaska. The items I picked in the poll are just minor gripes.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Add?
  • No fold flat (100%?) seats in the R1S
  • The way the R1T rear seats fold (or don't)
  • Lack of 120V in the Frunk
  • Tailgate control location
  • Motorcycle tie down capability
  • Fitting a camper shell
  • Design of the Gear Tunnel door latch
  • No standard spare
  • Can't fit bigger tires
  • Can't fit smaller wheels
  • Black wheels too expensive
  • Colors cost more
  • Only one tire available for the 21s

So many people have complained about different various details - at this rate nobody is going to buy one ?
Haha...

As long as this thread keeps the cross-talk down in other threads....it is doing it's job.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
No deal breakers for me right now. Biggest concern is timing issues on build out of high speed charging (especially in WY). 400 mile battery would make that less of an issue, but I’d actually prefer the 300 mile battery with a faster buildout of charges on the current black hole areas.

Biggest gripes are the abysmal color renderings in the Configurator and general lack of information put out by Rivian recently. We are getting really close to folks having to lock in their deliveries, and I have no idea what color I will end up selecting because the renderings seem to have no relationship to the “in the wild” pictures we’re seeing. Hopefully they will provide convenient options to see these things in person soon, but again, they are not being very open with those details either.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

No deal breakers for me right now. Biggest concern is timing issues on build out of high speed charging (especially in WY). 400 mile battery would make that less of an issue, but I’d actually prefer the 300 mile battery with a faster buildout of charges on the current black hole areas.

Biggest gripes are the abysmal color renderings in the Configurator and general lack of information put out by Rivian recently. We are getting really close to folks having to lock in their deliveries, and I have no idea what color I will end up selecting because the renderings seem to have no relationship to the “in the wild” pictures we’re seeing. Hopefully they will provide convenient options to see these things in person soon, but again, they are not being very open with those details either.
I have updated the poll to include ZERO dealbreakers....