Sponsored

The "news" did not change the price of $RIVN.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Sometimes it looks like coordinated attack to defend a short position or bring down the price for some reason.
Remember, both long and short investors have motive (different reasons) for the price to go down....
Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Let's just be honest the stock market is a total joke and a scam. Rivian announces slower deliveries, stock tanks. Tesla announces the recall of 500k cars, and what appears to be the death of the roadster, nothing..... apple announces X stock jumps, apple announces Y stock tanks....

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Today, every "self directed retail investor" and institutional trader alike is at a loss in their $RIVN position.
Today, "everyone" was reading the news hoping to understand "why?"
Today it was the COO retirement.
Yesterday:
… Amazon deal with Stellantis (RAM trucks.)
… increasing interest rates.
… the "bro culture" litigation.
Each of these rationalizations and after-the-fact causation explanations is to be dismissed.

The "news" does not drive the price of a given stock; news is the explanation the media use after the event to attract eyeballs and clicks to sell advertising on and subscription to their media sites.

The price of $RIVN exists within the context of the tech startup world, startup speculation, and the electric vehicle market.
We're going to ride these larger market moves for years to come. We've seen this week that Rivian is not coupled to Tesla.

We can look at clouds in the sky and see a fluffy bunny, or stars in the night sky and see gods and kitchen utensils … the human mind is receptive to explanations.
It's fun and makes sense when the price is up from $100 to $170.
It's painful and wrong when dropping back to $80.

Keep in mind $70 makes Rivian an $80B company – one of the largest automakers, which will require years of performance to meet that price expectation.

I suggest the logical conclusion is to measure $RIVN as a speculative long term position, not based on fundamentals, technical analysis or news.
I am invested in Rivian as the only company other than Tesla which has proven capable of building an electric vehicle and capable of scaling to production volumes that will challenge the auto industry in the transition from "burn stuff" to electric.

For those asking "why?" and "what to do now?" I offer the following decision tree branches:
  1. Have you acquired your full position size in $RIVN for your portfolio?
    1. If below full size, continue accumulation below your cost basis or wait for the chance of lower prices.
    2. If at full size, do not increase the position size attempting to lower cost basis (prices can always go lower just as likely as they can go higher.)
    3. If at full size, hold the position for the intended duration of the original plan, which should have been speculative for years, not days or weeks.
  2. Are you trading?
    1. Learn to sell options.
    2. Do not attempt to "trade" in and out of a position day to day or hour or hour until having proven you can work profitably.
    3. Check this thread in a year and see if you then want to sell your $RIVN position for $100. ("learn to sell options")
Oh my, you should write for SeekingAlpha or MotlyFools...

As a stock picker myself, there are so many factors and variables to look at (and I don't mean technicals) and I never give generalized advise like this. People have different risk tolerance and sense of reaction to events that surrounds them.

I've know people that have lost money on Apple and Tesla, as hard as that is to do....

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Let's just be honest the stock market is a total joke and a scam. Rivian announces slower deliveries, stock tanks. Tesla announces the recall of 500k cars, and what appears to be the death of the roadster, nothing..... apple announces X stock jumps, apple announces Y stock tanks....
Sorry you feel that way.

The rest of us are making best of it for our wealth creation and retirement funds.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Yea, charts are all well and good as long as idiots like these are pumping stocks on Twitter, you can only forecast so much:

Rivian R1T R1S The "news" did not change the price of $RIVN. 90A486B1-3E84-4813-B797-933D0F1E25B8

OP
OP
the long way downunder

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Oh my, you should write for SeekingAlpha or MotlyFools...

As a stock picker myself, there are so many factors and variables to look at (and I don't mean technicals) and I never give generalized advise like this. People have different risk tolerance and sense of reaction to events that surrounds them.

I've know people that have lost money on Apple and Tesla, as hard as that is to do....
I can't remember the last time I read more than the first sentence of a Seeking Alpha or Motley Fool article. I assume they're both "long con" sites.

I trade options using statistical models. I'm focused on futures, but the stocks I trade are chosen for liquidity and their performance in my models. $RIVN is an exception. The meme stocks of '21 were exceptions. Otherwise, I generally don't have an opinion on any given stock or market.

I would say "the news does not change the price" is specific, not general. I do give some high level topics for others to research and my other posts here have offered what I consider to be sound advice and experienced observations.

If you have advice to share, I enjoy reading and learning from the experience of knowledgeable traders.

My purpose here was to put a stake in the ground and come back in a month or two when I take delivery of my R1T to start that adventure in parallel with my $RIVN adventure.
Sponsored