Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
https://www.cars.com/american-made-index/

I would be curious to see where Rivian lands on this list. They aren't even on the list, so probably didn't have enough data to be included yet. I couldn't find any specific reason they wouldn't be included based on the exclusion criteria listed. Wherever they are now, I would think they are going to gradually move up with their stated plans to internalize the manufacturing of a greater percentage of components.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
https://www.cars.com/american-made-index/

I would be curious to see where Rivian lands on this list. They aren't even on the list, so probably didn't have enough data to be included yet. I couldn't find any specific reason they wouldn't be included based on the exclusion criteria listed. Wherever they are now, I would think they are going to gradually move up with their stated plans to internalize the manufacturing of a greater percentage of components.
From the report...

There are also factors accounted for to disqualify vehicles. Regardless of assembly location, these vehicles are ineligible:
  • Models with a gross vehicle weight rating above 8,500 pounds — mostly full-size vans, three-quarter- and 1-ton pickup trucks, and larger commercial vehicles — which are exempt from AALA requirements.
  • Models from automakers that build fewer than 1,000 cars in a given model year. Such cars are exempt from certain AALA requirements.
  • Models set for imminent discontinuation, or production moving outside the U.S., without a clear U.S.-built successor.
  • Models not yet on sale at the time of the study (in this case, spring 2022) even if they’re from the current model year.
  • Models intended solely for government or commercial fleets.
  • Models that don’t meet minimum sales or inventory thresholds. (Such thresholds cover roughly 98% of all passenger vehicle sales, so exclusions here are minimal.)
  • Models for which we cannot verify sufficient information from automakers, dealership audits, Cars.com inventory and government records.
Among FHWA light-duty vehicles fully assembled in the U.S., the above disqualifications knocked 45 model-year 2022 vehicles off the list:
  • Acura NSX; Buick Encore GX; Cadillac CT4; Chevrolet Bolt EV and Bolt EUV, Express, Silverado 1500 Limited and Silverado HD, and Spark; Ford Bronco Sport, E-Series, F-Series Super Duty, Police Interceptor Utility and Transit; GMC Savana, and Sierra 1500 Limited and Sierra HD; Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid and Insight; Jeep Grand Cherokee WK; Lucid Air; Mercedes-Benz Sprinter; Nissan NV, NV200 and Rogue Sport; Ram HD and ProMaster; Rivian R1S and R1T; Toyota Avalon and Sequoia; Volkswagen Passat
  • Electric, hybrid or plug-in hybrid versions of the BMW X5; Ford Escape, Explorer, F-150, Police Interceptor Utility and Transit; Karma GS-6; Lincoln Aviator and Corsair; Toyota Tundra; and Volvo S60

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Audi E-tron, R1S LE Reservation
"We consider five major factors:
  • Location(s) of final assembly
  • Percentage of U.S. and Canadian parts
  • Countries of origin for all available engines
  • Countries of origin for all available transmissions
  • U.S. manufacturing workforce
While we don’t reveal the weighting and calculation methodology, all five factors above play a significant role, as do a number of disqualifiers explained below. Models are ranked on a 100-point scale, with heavier curb weights functioning as a tiebreaker when necessary."

Seems odd they don't get into more details, and they don't provide the results for each vehicle on the 100-point scale. Are the top 10 nearly identical, or are there really big differences? My guess is anything in the top 10 is within a margin of error.

I'm also interested in how the battery comes into play. Most of the EV manufacturers (including Tesla) source the raw materials from outside the US. So assuming a battery in a Model Y has about $5k in raw material from outside the US, that should impact it in the same way as a F150 engine being built in Mexico.

EV-battery-cell-cost.jpg