Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Finally a car with >300KW peak charging

I suspect the Hummer is going to be able to pull 350 for a large chunk of the battery too. We're going to start seeing the benefit of 800v+ systems on large packs pretty soon here.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Tom said it's by far the fastest charging EV today. Not even close.

Honestly this is my biggest concern with Rivian. They use a huge battery but appear to be limited to 200kW at the moment. This means best case charging times of 30-40 minutes for 10-80%. It could even be longer initially until they dial it in and send software updates. 10-80% needs to be under 20 minutes to be competitive.

Welcome to the SeaGeo and @kanundrum club.

evtrail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150-1996, Aprilia RSV4
Funny, I was just thinking about the truck of the year last night and the Hummer. I haven't heard a peep about it actually going into production by year end.
They officially opened factory zero yesterday but were already working in stealth mode on it. I’m fairly confident they will. But the Hummer didn’t make it to the finale, can we find the decision breakdown for the ones that have been eliminated?

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Interesting to see. Props to Lucid for their efficiency. Makes me wonder what could have been had Rawlings and Scaringe had pow-wow'd together.

Reactions: Guy

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
Funny, I was just thinking about the truck of the year last night and the Hummer. I haven't heard a peep about it actually going into production by year end.
What is SO funny is that I talked to these Hummer people in Moab because their test mules practically lived at the only (non-Tesla) fast charging station in town (mooching free electricity) and they were quite confident that the Hummer EV would be the first into production before the end of the year.
And this is how you make a splash and make people who spent upwards of 100K feel special,

Lucid Dream Air - Delivery Experience 10-30-21 - YouTube
Aren't these more like $180k?

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
The problem currently with High Power Fast Charging is the infrastructure. After having owned a Audi e-tron GT for three months I have had mixed results getting the rated 270kw charging speeds. About a 25% success rate. The number of DC fast charging stations that can deliver a charge greater than 150kw are limited. Add to that the problem with lack of education of new EV owners. I've experienced that when arriving at Electrify America stations that have 2 350kw and 6 150kw stations, many times there are cars that can't charge faster than 150kw charging speeds plugged in at the 350kw chargers with plenty of 150kw chargers available.

By no means am I a Tesla Fan Boy. But Tesla V3 chargers are increasing at a rate faster than the competition and consistently work at the advertised rate.

Does any of this matter if you primarily charge at home? Only in public perception. Most people don't road trip their cars and rarely drive more than 250 miles in a day. But they have this innate fear that they'll be stranded by the side of the road.

I thoroughly enjoy a good road trip and have been known to ride my motorcycle 1000 miles in 24 hours(see also Iron Butt Association). My family on the other hand does not enjoy driving those kind of distances.

So in reality, If a car can charge to 80% in 30 minutes then that is good enough for most use cases.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR

Sponsored

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wow! Pretty amazing efficiency, can’t wait to see what their Gravity SUV performs like!
Unlikely it will have the same 500 miles but 400 miles of range in real world driving would be great. In addition to not looking like a transport vehicle from a video game, like the Hummer. Lucid will make a killing with a 3 row SUV offering especially if it can get a trim level under $100k .

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Unlikely it will have the same 500 miles but 400 miles of range in real world driving would be great. In addition to not looking like a transport vehicle from a video game, like the Hummer. Lucid will make a killing with a 3 row SUV offering especially if it can get a trim level under $100k .
Yeah I’m not sure. The Gravity looks like a pretty big SUV, but I would at least anticipate over 400 miles. They could put a bigger battery pack in and maybe get it up to 500 miles with the efficiencies they have, I don’t think it’s impossible, but we’re probably talking 3 to 5 years out

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Yeah I’m not sure. The Gravity looks like a pretty big SUV, but I would at least anticipate over 400 miles. They could put a bigger battery pack in and maybe get it up to 500 miles with the efficiencies they have, I don’t think it’s impossible, but we’re probably talking 3 to 5 years out
Lucid is saying late 2023 for Gravity Job 1. Expansion of the Arizona factory for Gravity manufacturing has already commenced.

It will be a couple of inches longer than Air and same width. Akin to the relationship between Model S and Model X. Sans the falcon wing doors.

Lucid CEO Peter Rawlinson said 400 miles should be minimum for Air/Gravity class of vehicles.

Lucid is targeting 406 miles of EPA range at $77,400 for the Air Pure.

Lucid should be able to get a 400 mile range Gravity for way under $100k.

If the EV tax credit portion of BBB gets passed as currently written with a cap of $80k for trucks then you can bet Lucid will offer a base trim Gravity for $79,999 regardless of what that does to range.
Sponsored