2022 Tesla Model S LR

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Ugh…. That was painful to watch. Too much not knowing what they’re doing. I usually like TFL, and they’re based locally for me, but this was not a good video.

The Ford’s ProPower setup gained a lot of attention with the snow storms in Texas a year ago as people were using it for emergency power. It works great for that, not going to lie. We have a couple work trucks with the 7.2kW ProPower and they power all kinds of stuff — air compressors, work lights and other tools. Yes, it can be used for home backup in a pinch, but the big outlet there is the 220V 30A. In a home backup situation, that’s enough to keep the heat on with a few lights for most people. It’s emergency backup power, not true home backup power.

The F-150 Lighting does V2H power differently. The home backup power is fed via DC out of the CCS pins on the charge port. We don’t have full specs on that yet, but it DOES NOT use the ProPower on-board inverter or 30A plug in the bed. This is why they incorporated the full CCS connector with DC pins on the Ford Charge Station Pro EVSE. CCS has a DC power output feature called the DC Reverse Tap.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sadly for V2H with the F-150 Lighting you'll need 400A service to your house. That kills it for me.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Sadly for V2H with the F-150 Lighting you'll need 400A service to your house. That kills it for me.
Curious where you saw that spec as 400 amp service in residential is not very common in most places.

My understanding is it reverse feeds back through the 80 amp charger and allows 9.6 kw power source. It would require more wiring and an auto disconnect from the grid but not sure why it would require a 400 amp service.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Alex on Autos did a great run down on the Pro Power generator on the F150 hybrid also:

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Wow, that will certainly reduce the number of people setting that up.
Exactly - They mean minimum or to be assumed 400A!

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Wow, that will certainly reduce the number of people setting that up.
Very limited in my experience. I was a residential electrician for 6 years. The company I worked for did 90% new construction. I think in that time frame I worked on at most 5 houses with 400 amp services.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

A co-worker of mine did this setup to his house when the Hybrid first came out. It saved his ass when the Texas blackouts hit last year.

Sponsored

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
Exactly - They mean minimum or to be assumed 400A!
I don't know when that original screenshot was taken, but the website no longer says that... which is good because it made no sense. The website now only states that a 100A dedicated circuit is required which is what you'd expect. This is standard stuff. You don't a need special service entrance to have a generator panel.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
There is no real & logical support for even the 320A requirement they had on their website, and it's now been removed.

You don't even need an 80A circuit to the Charge Station Pro unless you want to charge at peak speeds; it can be dialed down for smaller circuits.

My understanding is it reverse feeds back through the 80 amp charger and allows 9.6 kw power source. It would require more wiring and an auto disconnect from the grid but not sure why it would require a 400 amp service.
The DC for V2H simply passes through the EVSE on its own wiring (separate from AC circuit coming in) & goes to into their Home Integration inverter.
Sponsored