[The Fast Lane Truck] Ford F150 Hybrid Pro-Power VTH - Real World Demonstration

Monkey

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Ugh…. That was painful to watch. Too much not knowing what they’re doing. I usually like TFL, and they’re based locally for me, but this was not a good video.

The Ford’s ProPower setup gained a lot of attention with the snow storms in Texas a year ago as people were using it for emergency power. It works great for that, not going to lie. We have a couple work trucks with the 7.2kW ProPower and they power all kinds of stuff — air compressors, work lights and other tools. Yes, it can be used for home backup in a pinch, but the big outlet there is the 220V 30A. In a home backup situation, that’s enough to keep the heat on with a few lights for most people. It’s emergency backup power, not true home backup power.

The F-150 Lighting does V2H power differently. The home backup power is fed via DC out of the CCS pins on the charge port. We don’t have full specs on that yet, but it DOES NOT use the ProPower on-board inverter or 30A plug in the bed. This is why they incorporated the full CCS connector with DC pins on the Ford Charge Station Pro EVSE. CCS has a DC power output feature called the DC Reverse Tap.

RivianXpress

Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Sprinter, Husky TE300 TPI, BMW R1250GSA
Occupation
Retired
Sadly for V2H with the F-150 Lighting you'll need 400A service to your house. That kills it for me.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Grand Cherokee; (LE - R1S)
Occupation
IT
Sadly for V2H with the F-150 Lighting you'll need 400A service to your house. That kills it for me.
Curious where you saw that spec as 400 amp service in residential is not very common in most places.

My understanding is it reverse feeds back through the 80 amp charger and allows 9.6 kw power source. It would require more wiring and an auto disconnect from the grid but not sure why it would require a 400 amp service.

Forager1

First Name
W
Reaction score
First Name
W
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Alex on Autos did a great run down on the Pro Power generator on the F150 hybrid also:

RivianXpress

Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Sprinter, Husky TE300 TPI, BMW R1250GSA
Occupation
Retired

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Wow, that will certainly reduce the number of people setting that up.
Very limited in my experience. I was a residential electrician for 6 years. The company I worked for did 90% new construction. I think in that time frame I worked on at most 5 houses with 400 amp services.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicles
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Mini Countryman
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
A co-worker of mine did this setup to his house when the Hybrid first came out. It saved his ass when the Texas blackouts hit last year.

Advertisement

Advertisement