Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I thought the Rivian was a L1/L2 cable? Is that not the standard?
Are you talking about putting a bunch of 240V outlets in a parking lot?
EVSE allow controlled access, billing to the room/customers if desired, load sharing so fewer circuits/wiring required, and not much more cost if you are retrofitting to add 240V outlets.
Using your portable EVSE comes with the ric=sk of theft as well, and I imagine as EVs gain in numbers that will become more of an issue. Some EVs lock the J1772 while charging, many do not (on a few it is an option).
Sponsored

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
You need to think a little less 2021. Induction charging is coming and future implementation is unimaginable by current standards. There are 150,000 or so publicly-accessible charging stations out there today and there will be millions added in the coming decade.
Wired or induction, the problems I raised still apply when discussing the electrification of every parking spot at a hotel. My hope is that battery technology improvements will mean we never actually need to scale to chargers in every parking space (hotel, apartment, grocery store or otherwise).

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
This guy explains that it won't be a problem...

Love this guy’s channel. Learn as much as I do from this forum’s plethora of engineers and software folks.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Wired or induction, the problems I raised still apply when discussing the electrification of every parking spot at a hotel. My hope is that battery technology improvements will mean we never actually need to scale to chargers in every parking space (hotel, apartment, grocery store or otherwise).
My point was to stop looking at this from a current technology standpoint. What applies today will is irrelevant as EVs go beyond the current 2% of sales and technological advances pop up. Norway is implementing induction chargers in roads, the UK is exploring electrifying utility poles for people parallel parking in business centers. Tomorrow's solutions will come.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Every single new public building in Quebec has some EV charging available in its parking. New hotel next to my house has 20 level 2 charge points available in its parking garage, I’m sure they will add tons more as it becomes necessary.

It’s not a huge expense at all, relatively speaking, and it will soon be a necessity.

Sponsored

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
My point was to stop looking at this from a current technology standpoint. What applies today will is irrelevant as EVs go beyond the current 2% of sales and technological advances pop up. Norway is implementing induction chargers in roads, the UK is exploring electrifying utility poles for people parallel parking in business centers. Tomorrow's solutions will come.
I don't disagree and I wasn't suggesting anything regarding the future other than that L2 chargers in hotel parking lots is a short lived solution for today's limited fleet of slow charging EVs. It's not a viable long term solution.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I don't disagree and I wasn't suggesting anything regarding the future other than that L2 chargers in hotel parking lots is a short lived solution for today's limited fleet of slow charging EVs. It's not a viable long term solution.
It's a "2% solution." When adoption is still in its relative infancy then a thrown bone of charging in a hotel or steakhouse parking lot is appreciated. The infrastructure will grow with demand and, for now, a onesy-twosy charging location is welcome. It will not be a solution long-term but the future can't be anticipated based on today's needs.

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It's a "2% solution." When adoption is still in its relative infancy then a thrown bone of charging in a hotel or steakhouse parking lot is appreciated. The infrastructure will grow with demand and, for now, a onesy-twosy charging location is welcome. It will not be a solution long-term but the future can't be anticipated based on today's needs.
No, but we can wonder what that long term solution might look like (or in this case, acknowledge what it won't).

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

It's my favorite kind of problem, a future-me problem!

Oaktree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trackhawk
This guy explains that it won't be a problem...

With a broad stroke, I agree with him. But a $20,000 generator at Napa rental due to rolling blackouts for the past two summers would disagree that CA has a handle on providing power currently or in the future. I think most states can react but some will struggle. And if you dig into his stats on the past, most of that growth came from coal which is now being shut down, switch to natural gas which is also being attacked, as are nuclear license not being extended. So really, all we have to do is increase capacity, increase safety of the power grid, install battery backups And change the source of how we are currently creating electricity.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
So this might be a record for maximum KW output at any Electrify America site, could be above 1MW:

Rivian R1T R1S The current State of charging in the US 1620182550938

This was at Las Vegas South Premium Outlets. I wonder what their electricity demand charges will be for this.

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
I think level 2 is still important. Case in point, I scoped out plugs at a campground I recently hiked through. 30amp 240v and the regular 20amp 120v. That is a perfect overnight charge situation a lot of folks may be in. Hotels, campgrounds, trailheads, etc are perfect spots for these.
Camp grounds are pretty good to charge at... but FYI the 30 amp outlet is 120 volt. The 50 amp in a campground is a Nema 15/40 which is 240. (Mainly used on big coaches and 5th wheels)... 30 amp plug in campgrounds is a TT-30 receptacle which is a 120 volt outlet for smaller travel trailers.

just don’t want people to be disappointed in a campground and plug into a 30 amp receptacle and not charge at the rate they are expecting.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Camp grounds are pretty good to charge at... but FYI the 30 amp outlet is 120 volt. The 50 amp in a campground is a Nema 15/40 which is 240. (Mainly used on big coaches and 5th wheels)... 30 amp plug in campgrounds is a TT-30 receptacle which is a 120 volt outlet for smaller travel trailers.

just don’t want people to be disappointed in a campground and plug into a 30 amp receptacle and not charge at the rate they are expecting.
Great info! Thanks for straightening me out ?
Also got very confused when I Googled "tt-30" haha

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

120V charging is even further limited - 16A is the maximum in the J1772 standard (and many vehicles won't pull more than 12A by design).
It is very likely the charge cord that comes with the Rivian will be 12A when connected to 120V (the maximum allowed on a 15A amp circuit).

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Ok, but where is launch green?
Sponsored