Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

a lot of companies are talking about being full electric by 2035 I don't think our power grid and infrastructure will be ready for that there's no way. At least not with clean energy.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
For people with vehicles of over 200 miles of range, the only number that matters is the number of fast chargers and where they are located. Most L2 charging is done at home, and that is not really needed when driving around town.

Back when there were vehicles with <100 miles range, i.e. Leaf, i3, Spark, then L2 was much more important.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

For people with vehicles of over 200 miles of range, the only number that matters is the number of fast chargers and where they are located. Most L2 charging is done at home, and that is not really needed when driving around town.

Back when there were vehicles with <100 miles range, i.e. Leaf, i3, Spark, then L2 was much more important.
I think level 2 is still important. Case in point, I scoped out plugs at a campground I recently hiked through. 30amp 240v and the regular 20amp 120v. That is a perfect overnight charge situation a lot of folks may be in. Hotels, campgrounds, trailheads, etc are perfect spots for these.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
a lot of companies are talking about being full electric by 2035 I don't think our power grid and infrastructure will be ready for that there's no way. At least not with clean energy.
This guy explains that it won't be a problem...

Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Not exactly realistic to assume that there will be zero growth in energy production capacity in 15 years. Renewables generate roughly the same amount of our energy as (rapidly declining) coal in 2021 and production has more than doubled since 2000. No reason to believe that trend won't continue. And residential solar adoption is still in its infancy with market penetration in the low single digits percentage-wise.

EV adoption will absolutely increase over the next 15 years and charging capacity will increase with it.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
I think level 2 is still important. Case in point, I scoped out plugs at a campground I recently hiked through. 30amp 240v and the regular 20amp 120v. That is a perfect overnight charge situation a lot of folks may be in. Hotels, campgrounds, trailheads, etc are perfect spots for these.
I'm hoping all hotels will have L2 sooner rather than later. Will make taking trips much easier when you can avoid a trip to a DC charger and just do it while you sleep

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I'm hoping all hotels will have L2 sooner rather than later. Will make taking trips much easier when you can avoid a trip to a DC charger and just do it while you sleep
I do wonder how that is going to scale with increasing EV adoption. At some point in the future, most hotel guests are going to want to charge over night and it just doesn't seem practical to install hundreds of L2 chargers at every hotel.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Not sure if this is indicative of a trend but the Holiday Inn Express that popped up about a mile from my house (in a mostly residential area) put in a pair of L2s (as did the steakhouse about a mile from there).

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do wonder how that is going to scale with increasing EV adoption. At some point in the future, most hotel guests are going to want to charge over night and it just doesn't seem practical to install hundreds of L2 chargers at every hotel.
Just having available outlets would be fine. Get a break on your taxes for installing them, customers use their own travel EVSE (hopefully they continue giving one with the car). Customers pay for the energy they use

Sponsored

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Just having available outlets would be fine. Get a break on your taxes for installing them, customers use their own travel EVSE (hopefully they continue giving one with the car). Customers pay for the energy they use
Getting electricity to every parking space is the real challenge. And if you only have outlets, it's going to be really hard to charge a specific customer for the electricity they use without getting into issues of assigned parking and parking spot enforcement.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
L1 is pretty useless for long distance travel. Would get you maybe 30 miles when charging for 10 hours on a Rivian.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Getting electricity to every parking space is the real challenge. And if you only have outlets, it's going to be really hard to charge a specific customer for the electricity they use without getting into issues of assigned parking and parking spot enforcement.
I didn't really think about bigger hotels where you park in a larger lot vs right next to the building, that might be more difficult.

As far as parking spot assignments and enforcement, I see that as a good thing!
L1 is pretty useless for long distance travel. Would get you maybe 30 miles when charging for 10 hours on a Rivian.
I thought the Rivian was a L1/L2 cable? Is that not the standard?

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
You need to think a little less 2021. Induction charging is coming and future implementation is unimaginable by current standards. There are 150,000 or so publicly-accessible charging stations out there today and there will be millions added in the coming decade.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Many hotels do have L2 chargers, but even today those tend to fill up quickly, or if the hotel is full the spots get ICED. It is simply easier and more reliable to find a DFDC nearby and spend 20-30 minutes charging.
Sponsored