Sponsored

The best color to hide dirt and paint imperfections?

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm super lazy when it comes to washing my cars, so a color that can hide dirt well is pretty important. My current car is white specifically because of that. I had a black car (which I actually think looks best brand new and clean) before that consistently looked terrible with dirt and paint imperfections. I had configured white originally knowing how well my car shows 2-3 weeks after washing, but I updated to blue as I wanted something new. I've not heard how well Blue shows while dirty. I read in the forms that yellow was pretty good. What color do folks feel look best between washes, with scratches, etc.?
Sponsored

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340, Tesla M3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

In previous experience, gray and silver always looked the best between washes and scratches.

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I'm super lazy when it comes to washing my cars, so a color that can hide dirt well is pretty important. My current car is white specifically because of that. I had a black car (which I actually think looks best brand new and clean) before that consistently looked terrible with dirt and paint imperfections. I had configured white originally knowing how well my car shows 2-3 weeks after washing, but I updated to blue as I wanted something new. I've not heard how well Blue shows while dirty. I read in the forms that yellow was pretty good. What color do folks feel look best between washes, with scratches, etc.?
Definitely El Cap granite.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I had a silver Tesla that was pretty good at hiding dirt. I agree El Cap is probably pretty good.

Ultimately, it's a truck so it looks good dirty in most colors except maybe black. I have launch green and it looks good clean or dirty. But it's rarely clean!

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yeah, I had a silver Tacoma ~20 years ago and it looked pretty good when dirty. That said I kind of want something unique to Rivian like their blue, yellow, red this time around... But if the unique colors dont show well when not clean I'll probably skip.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Silver!

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I went with Glacier White because it drives me nuts to see paint imperfections, which are inevitable. I don’t care how careful you are, you will get clear coat micro scratches, etc. I ended up getting PPF on the front end, but the GW does well to hide all of those scratches, imperfections, etc. The lack of metallic flake helps to hide imperfections as well. Long story short, I am very glad I went with GW.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Forest green, el cap granite.

get the truck coated, wether it’s one of the new dangled ceramic ones or just a good old fashioned sealant.

Makes it super easy to wash.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
My Limestone looks pretty good dirty. My F250 is a similar color to the El Cap and it looks like crap after about a week. White always looks good, that's why contractors drive white trucks.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Yeah, I had a silver Tacoma ~20 years ago and it looked pretty good when dirty. That said I kind of want something unique to Rivian like their blue, yellow, red this time around... But if the unique colors dont show well when not clean I'll probably skip.
I went with Launch Green, but my test drive was in the Blue and its a great Blue. I almost switched.

Sponsored

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
I went with Glacier White because it drives me nuts to see paint imperfections, which are inevitable. I don’t care how careful you are, you will get clear coat micro scratches, etc. I ended up getting PPF on the front end, but the GW does well to hide all of those scratches, imperfections, etc. The lack of metallic flake helps to hide imperfections as well. Long story short, I am very glad I went with GW.
we have a a white tesla model s and you are right that it masks the paint imperfections but boy are bugs a problem. Fortunately we got PPF on the front so the stone chips (which also so on white) aren’t an issue. We are going with Silver

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
Whatever most closely matches the color of the predominant dirt/dust/soot in your area. :)

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Others have already said it, but the best colors for hiding dirt and scratches will be LA Silver and Glacier White. El Cap Granite might be third, but it's also a decently dark grey and the darker the color the more likely it is to show dirt, water spots, etc.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

We have el cap granite on our truck and the lighter colored dust does show on it. It has a tendency to collect in the concave curves on the hood so you stare at it while you drive. also, dust really seems to adhere on the black trim pieces so you will get that no matter what.

This may just be a dirty truck in my case. I am the kind of person that will wash their vehicle once every year or two, whether it needs it or not.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I can tell you what color is the opposite of what you're looking for, Red Canyon. You even think about driving through some dirt and it will be all over your truck. Ceramic coating is an absolute must with that color.
Sponsored