Clubs

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Shouldn’t they have air down the tires here?

then of course air then back up with on board air compressors. Oh wait

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I assume off-road drift would allow a lot of wheel spin.
It also probably changes the power distribution to be biased.

I was thinking about this over Christmas, I'm a little surprised they don't have a snow mode.

Scoop

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport, Volvo XC90
Occupation
Retired
I saw the Tundra creating a slippery path for the R1T. Wonder how it would do if it went first?

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
While I think 300 miles of range is fine, I think that 300 needs to be absolutely worst case and of the useable range (10-80% SOC)…. The better EV cars are 4.5ish kw/mile while the Rivian and lightning are at 2.4.
I read somewhere that the general public won't be comfortable with EV's until they get 500 miles of range.

Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
The better EV cars are 4.5ish kw/mile while the Rivian and lightning are at 2.4.
The better ICE cars get 35-40 mpg. How do your Toyota trucks do? Guess we should point out how crappy the Toyota trucks' mpg is by comparing it to an entirely different class of vehicle too. The Rivian is currently the most energy efficient truck on the market. We'll see how it does as it goes through OTA upgrades and competition to it actually hits the market, but until then it doesn't have an apples to apples comparison.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
…. The better EV cars are 4.5ish kw/mile while the Rivian and lightning are at 2.4.
There are a couple around 4.2 but most of the top tier smaller cars are in the range of 4. This is not a real comparison though, these are completely different vehicles. That is like saying a Camry is rated 28/39 why is the Tundra rated 18/24.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The better ICE cars get 35-40 mpg. How do your Toyota trucks do? Guess we should point out how crappy the Toyota trucks' mpg is by comparing it to an entirely different class of vehicle too. The Rivian is currently the most energy efficient truck on the market. We'll see how it does as it goes through OTA upgrades and competition to it actually hits the market, but until then it doesn't have an apples to apples comparison.
My 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro averages about 17mpg and I definitely go easy on the accelerator when driving. It’s sad that a truck that size gets essentially the same mpg as many modern full size trucks. That is a big reason I put down my $1k for a R1T.

Now Toyota recently put on a big show saying they have all these EVs ”planned” for the near future, but given how they have been so slow to get on board with EVs, I wouldn’t bet on them selling this very cool Tacoma EV anytime soon. This is basically my truck but in EV form:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-ev-pickup-truck-tacoma-tundra-preview/

roth_nj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
mechanical engineer
I read somewhere that the general public won't be comfortable with EV's until they get 500 miles of range.

That’s the problem and the crux of the issue here. I’m completely fine with 300 mile range. But in reality we aren’t getting 300 mile range. It will be something like 200 and down to 150 worst case. And then you might be getting that 150-200 miles for a full charge but the math everyone uses to justify these are assuming that 316 per charge. That’s why I said worst case I want to see 300 miles. 300 miles of range in the usable battery area of 10-90% while using AT tires and 500 pounds of load and running the full “tank” with it being 10F outside after 5 years of life

And trust me, I’m all on board with the EVs. I still have my preorder reservation in place. It just the physics of the problem doesn’t work yet with current lithium battery tech. There’s the airflow resistance of cars vs trucks and all that but then the degradation of the battery really is what’s limiting what we can do. If we could get 500 miles out of a battery that weights 1/4-1/2 as much as where are at now, that’s where we need to be for this all to really work. And I’m lumping the Rivian and lightening together in all this. They are both right around 2.4 kw/mile and I would bet the Chevy will be right there when they actually build a thing and epa test it.

Sponsored

roth_nj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
mechanical engineer
My 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro averages about 17mpg and I definitely go easy on the accelerator when driving. It’s sad that a truck that size gets essentially the same mpg as many modern full size trucks. That is a big reason I put down my $1k for a R1T.

Now Toyota recently put on a big show saying they have all these EVs ”planned” for the near future, but given how they have been so slow to get on board with EVs, I wouldn’t bet on them selling this very cool Tacoma EV anytime soon. This is basically my truck but in EV form:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-ev-pickup-truck-tacoma-tundra-preview/

I had a 2016 trd off road for 5 years with a 3 inch lift and 32s and got between 20-22 in the summer and 18 in the winter. I’m getting 13-14 right now with my gladiator. I’m seriously thinking about getting the new tundra. Better gas mileage and the pano roof with full rear window up/down is nice. I wish they were ready to go with the hybrid/prime already because I would be hands down ready for that. All my in town stuff with the kids would be on battery and my commute to work would be in hybrid .

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I had a 2016 trd off road for 5 years with a 3 inch lift and 32s and got between 20-22 in the summer and 18 in the winter. I’m getting 13-14 right now with my gladiator. I’m seriously thinking about getting the new tundra. Better gas mileage and the pano roof with full rear window up/down is nice. I wish they were ready to go with the hybrid/prime already because I would be hands down ready for that. All my in town stuff with the kids would be on battery and my commute to work would be in hybrid .
Yeah, Those new Tundras look nice. No ratings yet for that hybrid, but I’ve seen 25mpg mentioned a few times. Not bad At all for a big truck. I just don’t need a truck that size. I live alone and a mid size meets all of my needs (Other than efficiency LOL). Size was a big selling point for me with the R1T.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yeah, Those new Tundras look nice. No ratings yet for that hybrid, but I’ve seen 25mpg mentioned a few times. Not bad At all for a big truck. I just don’t need a truck that size. I live alone and a mid size meets all of my needs (Other than efficiency LOL). Size was a big selling point for me with the R1T.
25mpg is terrible. That's why we are in the situation that we are and need to transition everyone to electric ASAP.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
That’s the problem and the crux of the issue here. I’m completely fine with 300 mile range. But in reality we aren’t getting 300 mile range. It will be something like 200 and down to 150 worst case. And then you might be getting that 150-200 miles for a full charge but the math everyone uses to justify these are assuming that 316 per charge. That’s why I said worst case I want to see 300 miles. 300 miles of range in the usable battery area of 10-90% while using AT tires and 500 pounds of load and running the full “tank” with it being 10F outside after 5 years of life

And trust me, I’m all on board with the EVs. I still have my preorder reservation in place. It just the physics of the problem doesn’t work yet with current lithium battery tech. There’s the airflow resistance of cars vs trucks and all that but then the degradation of the battery really is what’s limiting what we can do. If we could get 500 miles out of a battery that weights 1/4-1/2 as much as where are at now, that’s where we need to be for this all to really work. And I’m lumping the Rivian and lightening together in all this. They are both right around 2.4 kw/mile and I would bet the Chevy will be right there when they actually build a thing and epa test it.
Yeah, that’s all well and good and what I would like too, but it’s probably 8-10 years away.

I will get my Rivian and enjoy it for those 8-10 years and then be ready for the next.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
25mpg is terrible. That's why we are in the situation that we are and need to transition everyone to electric ASAP.
No argument from me on that goal. My point was that relatively speaking, compared to it’s competitors that is an improvement over what is available now. we also need to admit that we as a society are not prepared yet for everyone to drive EVs. Our infrastructure is totally inadequate and even battery tech and recycling needs to be addressed seriously before we transition every Vehicle. It can’t happen soon enough as far as I’m concerned, but those are real problems that need solutions.
Sponsored