Sponsored

TFL Review of 8 Electric Truck Wanna-be's: When & If the Rubber Hits the Road?

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
The Fast Lane, TFL, run by Roman and Andre, is the number one truck review site on YouTube. They just released a nearly one-hour long video looking at the 8 electric truck wannabe makers, including Atlis, Bollinger, Ford, GM, Lordstown, Nikola, Rivian and Tesla.

For forum members, key takeaways are when Roman talks about all of these trucks as prototypes, at 6:20, and the huge obstacles to overcome before any prototype can actually make it into production, and when Roman and Andre discuss Rivian in particular, between minutes 32 and 38 of the video.

The other noteworthy comment is when Roman says, "two years after Rivians launch at the L.A. Auto Show in November 2018, Rivians are looking dated, no longer new". I, for one, like Rivians' styling and still find it fresh, among light duty trucks, but it's true that Rivians have gotten a lot of exposure in the past 1.5 years and no one is going to be wowed by their styling when the R1T and R1S's finally roll off the line. This goes to how well a vehicle will sell, be accepted by the public, not how difficult it will be to produce.

https://insideevs.com/news/428795/video-8-overhyped-electric-trucks/amp/
Sponsored

Last edited:

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
The "eye opening" think to me is that they seem to seriously extrapolate their evaluation (as poor) of the off-road and towing test of the Model X as indicative of any other vehicle.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I only got a minute or two into the video before deciding watching the whole thing would be a waste of time.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Hey guys,

I agree with Gary on not watching the whole thing and I thank Mark for painfully listening to the whole podcast.

For the Rivian Forum members who have been reading this forum for a while, Roman and Andre are not saying anything new and I get the sense they are not for electric vehicles, or they do not want to move away from ICE trucks because that is where they have made their money from their pod cast. They call them journalist but their facts were not accurate...they down played Rivian's funding and did not mention the private equity firm's additional investment on top of Ford, Amazon, and Cox investments. Nor did they mention the Amazon order for 100,000 delivery trucks (if they did I missed it)---or they are not well informed.

IMHO, I think they are trying to protect their viewership and trying to be knowledgeable about electric vehicles.

I will say their comment on styling is somewhat true. When I first saw the Rivian's I was not completely enthralled with the looks and felt it was dated then. However, what sold me is the company and performance promises. Rivian gives me the performance of a Porsche and the off road ability of Jeep Cherokee.

It is like the old saying, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or "beauty is only skin deep"...that holds true with the Rivian....you should know what you are buying.

Now....this is the kid in me talking , if I can pull up to a muscle car (or Porsche for that matter) and beat them off the line with authority that is pretty cool and have the ability to drift off road into the sunset---to me is cool. It is the outcome that counts (wink)....and the jaw-dropping reactions that will occur.

This forum helps provide factual information and I think all of us can agree to disagree at times and members will correct or respectfully challenge the facts we bring to the forum....

OP
OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Good post, Lionel. The value in the TFL video, I thought, was all of the BEV truck aspirants were covered, including Rivian, and Roman's repeated comments on prototypes versus real production vehicles. Roman doesn't distinguish between startups that are very far along, like Rivian, from startups that are mostly hot air, like Atlis, and that's the video's biggest weakness.

The TFL guys are into testing trucks, so anything that isn't actually on the road gets little attention.

Maybe it wasn't worth a thread, but as you say Lionel, the beauty of the forum is that lots of information gets kicked around and we all learn from it.

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Maybe it wasn't worth a thread, but as you say Lionel, the beauty of the forum is that lots of information gets kicked around and we all learn from it.
I think it was worth a thread. Even though I've been subscribed to a couple of the TFL YT channels for a few months I've only seen a handful of their videos. I believe it was Andre's (sp?) initial report on Rivian with Brian Gase and another at the Denver event that included RJ and Charles that got my attention of TFL. Like any other YT channel or online content creator it can take a while to learn if the reporting is objective or has some bias. Clearly I learned some bias from this latest TFL video not to mention the exaggerations and incorrect information about the EVs they were reporting on. I felt I needed to find some cheese to go along with the wine.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I did not mean to imply the video had no value. It does, and thanks for the comment Mark!

more data is always good. All viewpoints are valid! ultimately we make our own decisions.

lets keep up the great dialogue.
Sponsored