kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Forgot to reply but watching the whole video I saw a few things.

• Rivian clearly is trying to play nice and give even the folks who complained full un-hinged access to their vehicle.
  • TFL I assume is posting the video as if their audience doesn't know much which is fine but their ability to plan/script ahead is a bit lack luster as they have been stuttering on EXACT details but maybe we are biased here because we live and breathe this company ha.
  • TFL has put what ever bad blood behind and is super excited to do the full gamut of testing.
  • Rivian is super generous in giving them 7 days to test the vehicle which is crazy.
  • Rivian is also ultra confident at the results they get whether its favorable or not I am assuming there will be little hiccups on testing the vehicle out.
  • I hope TFL gets charging information right and it would be awesome to see
  • In for all the videos they have mainly because I don't mind watching as long as they aren't too painful to watch.
Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
  • TFL I assume is posting the video as if their audience doesn't know much which is fine but their ability to plan/script ahead is a bit lack luster as they have been stuttering on EXACT details but maybe we are biased here because we live and breathe this company ha.
To be fair, besides us whom watch Rivian news almost daily, majority of people do not know of the R1T, let alone Rivian as a company.

Last edited:

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

To be fair, besides us whom watch Rivian news almost daily hourly, majority of people do not know of the R1T, let alone Rivian as a company.
FTFY

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'm glad they have some real world test plans and will withhold judgment until we see those. That said, I think this video perfectly highlights why Rivian chose the creators and outlets that they did for their initial press tour. Compare the TFL video with the SnazzyLabs, MotorTrend, KBB, etc. videos - every one of those is more thoughtful, well organized, nicely produced, insightful, and accurate than TFL, which was more or less three guys wandering around poking things as they came to mind. It's fine, but clearly they didn't put much or any effort into scripting, production, or editing.

At the press reveal stage, where everyone has access to more or less the exact same information, you want to highlight people who are going to get high quality content out to the most eyeballs. Now that we're a bit further down the road, it makes sense to loan proper production trucks out for deeper and more thorough/specialized content with different test regimes.

I get that folks dismiss the likes of MKBHD as "not a truck/car guy" and that's fair, but he's an extremely talented and insightful tech commentator and produces super high quality content with broad reach. Certainly has a place in the cycle.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I think Transport Evolved (https://www.youtube.com/c/transportevolved) is actually based somewhere in the PNW (Washington or Oregon). Sure, they have accents, but they live in the US and have been covering the EV world for years now.
Thanks, I went back to check since I hadn’t looked since last September and the Breckinridge reviews. She is originally from the UK. I didn’t know she had moved to the US.

Sponsored

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Cringeworthy. On. So. Many. Levels.
Agreed. I've watched some of their stuff before, but man....watching them stumble over basic facts about both the truck and the company, which are all publicly available info sitting out there, is painful. Hopefully their testing and analysis gets a little better and more professional over the week, but now I can clearly understand why anyone would exclude them on an important release (in Rivian's case, THE most important release).

Last edited:

vnngoc156

First Name
Ngoc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Overall the design is very nice but what if I got a full load in the bed and need the spare tire? Such situation can surely happen at some time for somebody and it is just one inconvenient point I can see.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
It doesn't make sense to design for something that will occur .01% of the time to be solved 100% of the time. Where else would you have liked them to put the spare?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It doesn't make sense to design for something that will occur .01% of the time to be solved 100% of the time. Where else would you have liked them to put the spare?
Rivian R1T R1S TFL goes hands on with Rivian R1T 1642802788122

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Forgot to reply but watching the whole video I saw a few things.

• Rivian is super generous in giving them 7 days to test the vehicle which is crazy.
Car journalists are usually given a week to test cars by manufacturers so it's not crazy or really that generous.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Car journalists are usually given a week to test cars by manufacturers so it's not crazy or really that generous.
No one has been given a Rivian thus far for this long as far as we know hence my statement.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

No one has been given a Rivian thus far for this long as far as we know hence my statement.
Agreed and it is generous for Rivian who seem to like to tightly hold information but for other manufacturers this is standard. Rivian should be held to industry standards.
Sponsored