Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

Why does it sound so loud in the interior? Way louder than the videos we've seen for Rivian.
I think part of it is noise from the AC (they turn that off after a few minutes, I think), though it definitely still seems pretty loud when they are driving at highway speeds.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Why does it sound so loud in the interior? Way louder than the videos we've seen for Rivian.
The noise that changed with speed seemed like a combination of wind noise and tire noise to me. I think I saw at least one window at least partially opened during the video so that may explain why it was so loud inside. It seems like a very impressive vehicle to me, but it wouldn’t fit my needs and wants very well.

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Interesting first ride. Makes me wonder how their base model will perform.

On an unrelated note. Weren't these the guys that cried a hissy fit because they didn't get to cover a R1T, to the point that the even knocked on other 1st drive reviews of the vehicles from MT and others, and here they are now doing an exact same style 1st drive review for the E-Hummer in the same fashion/manner the other reviewers did for the R1T? If yes, they will go from being a bunch of whinners to flat out hypocrites in my book.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Looks like you need to consume your entire truck bed if you want to carry a spare!

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

Interesting first ride. Makes me wonder how their base model will perform.

On an unrelated note. Weren't these the guys that cried a hissy fit because they didn't get to cover a R1T, to the point that the even knocked on other 1st drive reviews of the vehicles from MT and others, and here they are now doing an exact same style 1st drive review for the E-Hummer in the same fashion/manner the other reviewers did for the R1T? If yes, they will go from being a bunch of whinners to flat out hypocrites in my book.
yea, those are the cry babies

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm not sure they were crying about it. They were disappointed that Rivian never responded to their emails. I like the TFL folks. They give honest, no holds barred reviews. They're fan-boys of no brand.
You and I have watched two different TFLs, then. Their IKE towing test is unique, so I appreciate that. But their other videos are hardly honest and they have obvious biases.

Their 2021 Tundra video was embarrassing.

Sponsored

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
The noise that changed with speed seemed like a combination of wind noise and tire noise to me. I think I saw at least one window at least partially opened during the video so that may explain why it was so loud inside. It seems like a very impressive vehicle to me, but it wouldn’t fit my needs and wants very well.
I think they have synthetic "engine" sounds as well.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
Did TFL said they are one of the first journalist to try that? Journalists have been driving this for months now including supercar blondie, MKBHD, Doug Demuro

I'm not sure they were crying about it. They were disappointed that Rivian never responded to their emails. I like the TFL folks. They give honest, no holds barred reviews. They're fan-boys of no brand.
I like TFL. I think their review would be one of the most dependable one for me because I feel like they focus on overall experience more. When I was going through Rivian reviews, I was surprised how come the "WHAT'S INSIDE? FAMILY" was invited. That guy had absolute ZERO knowledge about Rivian, even surprised to hear the price!

Last edited:

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I think they have synthetic "engine" sounds as well.
I wasn’t sure whether to react with a “Like” because I agree with what you said or a “Wow” because I don’t get the whole fake engine noise as a desirable thing.

I’m a car guy and I have strong opinions about ICE engine sound and feel relative to one another. To me V8 is better than I6, I6 is better than I4, I4 is better than I5, I5 is better than V6, and V6 is better than I3 or 1-cylinder. Having said that, it is WAY easier to make a powerful vehicle which is loud than a powerful vehicle which is quiet, so from age 17 or so on, I have always been more impressed with quiet powerful engines than loud powerful engines or, worse, weak engines which make fearsome noises while providing gentle acceleration.

A smooth, quiet, powerful EV is as good as it gets in my book. I don’t need fake noise to convince myself or anyone around me that my vehicle is anything other than what it is.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
I wasn’t sure whether to react with a “Like” because I agree with what you said or a “Wow” because I don’t get the whole fake engine noise as a desirable thing.

I’m a car guy and I have strong opinions about ICE engine sound and feel relative to one another. To me V8 is better than I6, I6 is better than I4, I4 is better than I5, I5 is better than V6, and V6 is better than I3 or 1-cylinder. Having said that, it is WAY easier to make a powerful vehicle which is loud than a powerful vehicle which is quiet, so from age 17 or so on, I have always been more impressed with quiet powerful engines than loud powerful engines or, worse, weak engines which make fearsome noises while providing gentle acceleration.

A smooth, quiet, powerful EV is as good as it gets in my book. I don’t need fake noise to convince myself or anyone around me that my vehicle is anything other than what it is.
Agreed.
I think the synthetic powertrain noise was very noticeable in the Inside EVs video. I think GM is using it to mask all the other unpleasant sounds that don't appear to be present in the R1T.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Agreed.
I think the synthetic powertrain noise was very noticeable in the Inside EVs video. I think GM is using it to mask all the other unpleasant sounds that don't appear to be present in the R1T.
I watched the MotorTrend video and the GM Tech was VERY proud to explain that the sound is piped in from the electric motor, with it tuned to eliminate the higher frequencies so that it sounds "more desireable." Basically they tuned and amplified the sound from the electric motor to sound more like a V-8, because Hummer.
Sponsored