Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I’m confident the engineers on this forum will find a workaround! ?
Have we seen the speaker holes like on the bottom of the M3. Not that I’m advocating any mods. Ha!
32DC9858-9EF8-46F0-83AF-0E9AF42978FE.jpeg
You can disconnect it or use this device:
https://abstractocean.com/products/pws-kit

With Tesla, you also change the sound to many different things. We use ice cream truckwhen picking up our kids in car circle.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Great video, shows what the future will be like
Great video, really showed what the truck stance was loaded. Surprised no one talked about overloading the truck.

Seemed to handle it very well but the payload includes the passengers. The two guys have to be at least 300 lbs, that leaves 1100 for the plywood and logs. It’s been a few years since I moved logs but unless they were very dried out from laying around I’d be very surprised if that wood wasn’t over 2000 lbs.

An example a white pine log with an 8 inch diameter is about 30 lbs a foot. several of those look like that size and at 7 foot long would be ~210 lbs each.

@TFLtommy any chance you weighed any of the logs? Would be great to know how conservative that 1400 lb payload rating really is. Did it seem like anything was stressed under the load?

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Great video, really showed what the truck stance was loaded. Surprised no one talked about overloading the truck.

Seemed to handle it very well but the payload includes the passengers. The two guys have to be at least 300 lbs, that leaves 1100 for the plywood and logs. It’s been a few years since I moved logs but unless they were very dried out from laying around I’d be very surprised if that wood wasn’t over 2000 lbs.

An example a white pine log with an 8 inch diameter is about 30 lbs a foot. several of those look like that size and at 7 foot long would be ~210 lbs each.

@TFLtommy any chance you weighed any of the logs? Would be great to know how conservative that 1400 lb payload rating really is. Did it seem like anything was stressed under the load?
If I had to guess, I’d say the only thing stressed was Chad.

Sponsored

Mcdoo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo, expedition
Occupation
Engineer

Found their podcast on the Rivian posted yesterday and they go into some interesting details. Basically said unofficially those logs were probably over the rated payload...

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Outside of the consternation on this forum, I have rarely heard truck guys worry about whether or not they were exceeding their rated payload. In fact, on the contrary, it's usually a bragging point about how one's truck handled the overload.

I'm not advocating for exceeding payload, just stating an observation. Where I'm from, that load of logs is considered a "full-jag". If you come home with less than a full-jag, you just wasted your time. Ain't nobody checking payload ratings while they're woodcutting. I don't see a lot of EV owners using their truck to haul fuel wood either, to be fair.

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oof. Lots of electric, lots of 4x4
Occupation
Reviewer

We do have a weigh scale nearby and it was just our luck on this filming day it was on the fritz. Doh!

As others have mentioned the load was heavy. Almost certainly maxed out, but it performed exceptionally well! only thing out of the ordinary was the air suspension compressor working over time to keep it level as we continued to add more wood. I will say a rubber/vinyl floor option would be much welcomed in these environments, would love to see a stripped down “activity” model with rubber floors, smaller wheels/brakes and less ritzy vinyl seats.

Oh and it did get sketchy on the ice a few times, not sure if that came through on camera (always flattens things out). When that weight starts moving in the wrong direction it is not inclined to stop ?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’m fairly sure I saw a quote from RJ stating there will be less expensive models of *something* in the future. An R1T with dual motors, a less fancy interior, etc COULD prove to be a hot seller. Most don’t NEED a 3.5s 0-60 time or 4 motors or a Meridian sound system. That being said, I have talked myself into believing I do need all those things ASAP.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Like Chad is not already banging his head to the wall. Frankly that is my biggest question, what is the deal with Chad? Is he really that cool? or this was a condition of him getting the truck half price?
If there is any damage to the truck, Chad gets a new truck and this one get added to the loaner fleet. Chad also probably moves to the top of the list for whatever comes next, hopefully something more than an ebike. Or maybe just a pay bump/promotion (Social Media Loaner Coordinator).

I am glad that Rivian gave TFL the truck for the week. I think it helps indicate real deliveries are coming, and Rivian knows its only a matter of time before TFL would get their hands on one (not sure what they would pay to rent one for a week, but I am sure someone out there would let them rent it for a few hundred a day)

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I’m fairly sure I saw a quote from RJ stating there will be less expensive models of *something* in the future. An R1T with dual motors, a less fancy interior, etc COULD prove to be a hot seller. Most don’t NEED a 3.5s 0-60 time or 4 motors or a Meridian sound system. That being said, I have talked myself into believing I do need all those things ASAP.
I am already in 23. If a $50K dual motor with cloth seat, metal roof, LFP, 280+ mile, 0-60 6 seconds, with the same suspension and towing capacity come out before my number is up, I would switch but I doubt anything becomes available until all reservations are delivered. My guess is low price items are probably targeted for the new factoy.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I am already in 23. If a $50K dual motor with cloth seat, metal roof, LFP, 280+ mile, 0-60 6 seconds, with the same suspension and towing capacity come out before my number is up, I would switch but I doubt anything becomes available until all reservations are delivered. My guess is low price items are probably targeted for the new factoy.
I think you are correct and I would probably consider switching too. I'm just not convinced a lower priced pickup is next for them. You see other things like a smaller crossover mentioned or even a car. We are probably talking years down the road before they add to their plate. They have a lot of work to do just getting production ramped up for the 2 vehicles they sell now. Personally I see the R1 vehicles to be a pretty good value as designed, but within a couple years I would expect them to either raise the price for those or start to cut back on the quality of materials, extras, etc. to offer it at the same price. That's how they will become profitable.

Reactions: Max

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
The other noticeable strength of the RT1 during this work test is the suspension. She hardly sagged at all despite the cantilevered log load.

Our 6.2L Sierra with Heavy Tow kit needs added airbags to pull off such a lift.