Sponsored

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
@TFLtommy

nicely done. Glad you guys have a Rivian truck to test. In the end I think Rivian actually did you a favor by not having you at the Colorado event with other reviewers sharing seat time and did you a favor cause next to Motortrend I don’t think any vehicle reviewers have been given a Rivian for a week. Likely if you were at the Earlier event in Colorado I don’t feel like they would have given you a truck to test at this point cause reviewers that didn’t have seat time would likely have the dibs you guys are getting currently

When are we going to see Andre’s reaction to the acceleration? Every reaction has been better then before. Your partner in wood cutting got full giggles!
Sponsored

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
Great video! I'm really glad you guys finally got your hands on a R1T. Keep up the good work!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Great video. Props to Tommy for NOT editing out his ratchet strap struggle. Seems like no matter how many times I use those it takes me 2 minutes to refresh my memory. I always think to myself “I hope no one is watching me right now” LOL.

I agree with the comments on the space around the gate hinges. But I also can’t think of any other way they could have designed that. At least it looks big enough to put a shop vac hose down in there to clean it out. The cover looks to work pretty well but I could imagine whatever mechanism allows it to slide getting clogged up over time as well.

Glad they tried out the tools and also pointed out that corded may not work but most of us have switched to cordless and that seems like it would work fine. This truck isn’t really designed for contractors anyway. They would be much happier with a hybrid or Lightning F150.

The point about the spare tire being hidden under the bed is valid, but it’s also such a low probability event. Let’s say they did get a flat while coming down that hill. Even if the spare was somewhere else you would likely have to unload all of those logs to change it anyway, just based on the weight alone. Soft/ uneven ground + heavy truck + full payload = very challenging tire change. Even if you were on a paved road and had to do it you would probably have to unload half of it. No easy way out of that jam, period.

Extra props to Chad for allowing his personal truck to be put through the wringer!

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
@TFLtommy we’re gonna have to bust Roman’s balls for not teaching you how to use a ratchet strap.

But seriously, that was a great video. I had a slight concern about the gooseneck hinges not being up to the task but they are. I also like the valid concern you had about the pockets the hinges fold in to. I don’t think it’s a massive concern, but it is something to be aware of.
Bah, just blow all that crap out of those pockets with the air hose!

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Surely there's a passthrough channel somewhere within the gooseneck mechanism, otherwise water would pool there when it rains.
Not just rain, but the freeze thaw cycle in early winter would not be good in there if water doesn't drain.

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Bah, just blow all that crap out of those pockets with the air hose!
My thought too but I’m not so sure the air compressor can be used as an air gun?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Ah! Thanks all for watching and for the kind words! This one was a ton of fun to make!
Tommy, thanks for showing the gooseneck hinge, this was Rivian's offering after dropping the original 180-degree tailgate...Rivian for some reason never wants to show this in detail. I wonder if a rubber boot would work fitted around that hinge which could be removable for cleaning but for the most part, would keep the lower area clean?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Tommy, thanks for showing the gooseneck hinge, this was Rivian's offering after dropping the original 180-degree tailgate...Rivian for some reason never wants to show this in detail. I wonder if a rubber boot would work fitted around that hinge which could be removable for cleaning but for the most part, would keep the lower area clean?
I can think of other automotive applications where rubber boots actually cause corrosion to accelerate. Letting things dry is generally preferable to trapping moisture in. even when you weatherproof/flash a home window, you always leave the bottom open so the water that inevitably gets in has a place to get out.

branden

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - many EVs in past
Occupation
EV charging deployment
Surely there's a passthrough channel somewhere within the gooseneck mechanism, otherwise water would pool there when it rains.
Easy way to test would be to pour some water in there

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Easy way to test would be to pour some water in there
Like Chad is not already banging his head to the wall. Frankly that is my biggest question, what is the deal with Chad? Is he really that cool? or this was a condition of him getting the truck half price?

branden

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - many EVs in past
Occupation
EV charging deployment
Like Chad is not already banging his head to the wall. Frankly that is my biggest question, what is the deal with Chad? Is he really that cool? or this was a condition of him getting the truck half price?
I'd let TFL play with my truck for a week for half price. I'd be curious the terms.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

At this point it seems like a silly request, but I’m still dying to see photos of an R1T with plywood and 8’ lumber in the bed. Tailgate up and down.

Edit: I see the plywood test now, I had skipped over it accidentally. Still wood be interested in seeing how a 2x4 hangs out with the tailgate up.