Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

@TFLtommy we’re gonna have to bust Roman’s balls for not teaching you how to use a ratchet strap.

But seriously, that was a great video. I had a slight concern about the gooseneck hinges not being up to the task but they are. I also like the valid concern you had about the pockets the hinges fold in to. I don’t think it’s a massive concern, but it is something to be aware of.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Really well produced - informative and entertaining! Answered a lot of my questions about the bed, some I didn't even know I had. I figured the 1400lb payload rating was really more of a suggestion - that thing was loaded. David's reaction to the launch reminded me of my first time in an EV.

Also liked, "Why would anyone need more than 15" of ground clearance?" - "I dunno, 'Murica?" Hahaha truth.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
@TFLtommy we’re gonna have to bust Roman’s balls for not teaching you how to use a ratchet strap.

But seriously, that was a great video. I had a slight concern about the gooseneck hinges not being up to the task but they are. I also like the valid concern you had about the pockets the hinges fold in to. I don’t think it’s a massive concern, but it is something to be aware of.
Those pockets not being open at the bottom is a huge concern and I am really surprised not much has been said about them before. Corrosive chemical spill, salt, debris. I’m not going to carry a vacuum cleaner with me just to fix a design flaw. A real Issue for someone looking for a truck not an adventure vehicle.

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Nice Video... hope someone on the site figures out a way to disable the 'washing machine' sounds though... imagine wanting to take this out to a remote hunting site, or just wanting to hear nature. That's an advantage for an electric truck. Should be a software method to turn off for 'outdoorsy stuff' - maybe as part of the 'rock crawl' setting or something...
honestly was expecting the truck to dig in with that weight when tommy was turning it around in the field for the trip home... seemed to handle it pretty well. I do think if you use this truck to move anything with bark, landscaping, whatever it will quickly fill into the spare tire well and tailgate hinge pockets. that stuff gets damp with rain and never dries out, making a nasty mess if your not on top of it.

Fyi - saw 3 R1T's in the wild in 1 day this week on the way home from picking up my son from school [2 miles]. Green, white, and blue. Freaking jealous, gotta wait until 4Q... live close to the factory and a lot of Rivian employees apparently live in my town - looks like employees are getting quite a few now.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I was very annoyed by their whining when they didn't get to go to Breckenridge, but as I said before that moment I thought they'd do a great job, and they are killing it. Was nice to see this, and the charging curve one. Can't wait to see the Ike gauntlet.

Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
Great video. This is exactly what I usually use my truck for - hauling wood, hauling general shit up and down to the cabin. A little disappointed in the power of the outlets but I would bring my cordless power tools and not rely on the corded ones.

Great to see that only 8% of battery was used. That was a big load and I am very impressed.

Key takeaways, that hinge hole is going to be problematic with Debris especially with twigs, etc... too bad there wasn't a pass through where stuff would just fall to the bottom. Other than that it's a fantastic machine.

Thanks @TFLtommy.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Very cool video. I do have to LOL a little at the Boulder crowd finding a yak ranch to film at. [David was great, and he even did his research on the truck]

I look forward to getting the R1T up to our cattle ranch, and putting it through the paces alongside a ’65 F-250, which is still kicking.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
This is probably the best review of the R1T‘s capability, even compared to the Motor Trend one or the mountain of reviews that came out in September.

Rivian should pay these guys and use it for their own marketing.

Good job with the review @TFLtommy

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I gotta say.. maybe TFL did have a legitimate beef. If this is the quality of video they can put out on a Rivian, I wish they would have gotten invited to earlier events.

I know they've caught a lot of slack for being upset about it but man, these last couple videos on the R1T from them have been bangers.
Sponsored