Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Logically that's false.

Legally it is not different. Logically it is. The Rivian does not move forward until the "gas" pedal is pressed. Regen braking keeps the vehicle stopped.

In an ICE, you need to actively press the brake pedal to prevent the vehicle from moving forward.
Logically, braking is braking. It doesn't matter how it is implemented.

Also, auto hold braking is not unique to Rivian or even EVs. My ICE Volvo has had this capability for years.

edit: it's also doubtful that the Rivian is using "regen" for Hold. I suspect it is either applying current to the motors to generate torque in a magnitude and direction sufficient to hold the vehicle in place or simply automatically applying the mechanical brakes the same as my Volvo.
Sponsored

Last edited:

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
Those pockets not being open at the bottom is a huge concern and I am really surprised not much has been said about them before. Corrosive chemical spill, salt, debris. I’m not going to carry a vacuum cleaner with me just to fix a design flaw. A real Issue for someone looking for a truck not an adventure vehicle.
I'd bet they have a drain. Just might not be visible. Seems too obvious for Rivian engineers to miss something like that, especially after Tesla bumper issues.

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Macan GTS
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Another great video from TFL. But let's be honest, most folks here will be using their trucks for Latte runs at their local Starbucks........ ;) .....:CWL:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I suspect it is either applying current to the motors to generate torque in a magnitude and direction sufficient to hold the vehicle in place or simply automatically applying the mechanical brakes the same as my Volvo.
It would never do the former as that would drain the battery. In the Teslas the friction brakes get blended in to bring the car to a full stop and then a separate caliper gets latched in to hold.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It would never do the former as that would drain the battery. In the Teslas the friction brakes get blended in to bring the car to a full stop and then a separate caliper gets latched in to hold.
Never say never. This quote is somewhat dated so it may or may not still be true. But yes, every engineering decision is a trade-off.

Rivian R1T R1S TFL chops wood… Can Rivian R1T Survive a Hard Days Work & Hauling? quote

Sponsored

dpc166

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
Those pockets not being open at the bottom is a huge concern and I am really surprised not much has been said about them before. Corrosive chemical spill, salt, debris. I’m not going to carry a vacuum cleaner with me just to fix a design flaw. A real Issue for someone looking for a truck not an adventure vehicle.
Could probably just use the onboard air compressor and blow out the pockets and the whole bed for that matter.

dpc166

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
Just need the attachment. Every air compressor I’ve purchased come with a small one. Now I’ve found a use for it. ?
Exactly. Mine didn't come with one, but I have it to blow dust and all that stuff off of my tools when I clean up. Same situation here for the bed, pockets, etc.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
There are weep holes. They have got to have weep holes.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Never say never. This quote is somewhat dated so it may or may not still be true. But yes, every engineering decision is a trade-off.

quote.png
Yeah i stopped replying.

The driver held the Rivian at a stop on the way down on Mt. Rivian during my first drive event.

I got tired to people on the internet arguing against what happened in reality.

Maybe they'll change it with an OTA update, but it worked in September.
Sponsored