First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I’m confident the engineers on this forum will find a workaround! ?
Have we seen the speaker holes like on the bottom of the M3. Not that I’m advocating any mods. Ha!
32DC9858-9EF8-46F0-83AF-0E9AF42978FE.jpeg
It's a matter of time until someone sells a PWS silencer that you can put on the speaker lead there. In the meantime, a strip of packaging tape applied right there will cut the sound dramatically.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

It's a matter of time until someone sells a PWS silencer that you can put on the speaker lead there. In the meantime, a strip of packaging tape applied right there will cut the sound dramatically.
If you get in an accident involving a pedestrian and they find out you tampered with a pedestrian warning system, good luck to you.

I want a silent option as much as you, but I have not made my ID4's jetson spaceship noise quieter for the same reason.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
If you get in an accident involving a pedestrian and they find out you tampered with a pedestrian warning system, good luck to you.

I want a silent option as much as you, but I have not made my ID4's jetson spaceship noise quieter for the same reason.
I tend to agree and haven't modified my Model Y for these reasons. I don't mind the noise in most circumstances and am not interested in playing liability chicken; just commenting for folks who are curious. That said, I do miss my completely silent Model 3.

I think it's reasonable to wish the Rivian had a toggleable PWS for off-highway use but I can see why that would be risky on their end. Something like a magnetic muffler that a user could slot in for offroad would be kind of nice too. But realistically it's not a big deal - just a bit of white noise.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

I agree with you here and that was my first thought when I read that, sad we are in such a litigious society.

That being said, this is one of those useless regulations. My Model S was built before this regulation was established. The car is not silent in a parking lot at low speeds. The tires are easily heard rotating on the asphalt. I have never had anyone appear startled driving by them in a parking lot. They are more likely to step in front of me because they are on the phone not paying attention than because they did not hear me coming.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That being said, this is one of those useless regulations. My Model S was built before this regulation was established. The car is not silent in a parking lot at low speeds. The tires are easily heard rotating on the asphalt. I have never had anyone appear startled driving by them in a parking lot. They are more likely to step in front of me because they are on the phone not paying attention than because they did not hear me coming.
I fully disagree that the regulation is useless. It might change your perspective to travel as a blind pedestrian. Blind pedestrians are reliant on the sounds of vehicles to assess traffic patterns around them. This can help orient them to an intersection and aid in determining when it is safe to cross. Yes, tires can often (but not always) be heard when a vehicle is in motion but that sound does not exist when the vehicle is stopped at a stop sign or stop light. For a blind person, knowing that a vehicle is stopped at an intersection is every bit as important as knowing that a vehicle is moving through the intersection. But I wouldn't expect most sighted people to understand or appreciate this.

And yes, if my wife or her dog guide are injured/killed by someone who disabled the pedestrian warning because they felt it was "useless", I will absolutely pursue all legal avenues to their fullest extent.

I generally have no problems with the pedestrian warning being disabled offroad but this seems like something that would need to be done automatically based on GPS.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I fully disagree that the regulation is useless. It might change your perspective to travel as a blind pedestrian. Blind pedestrians are reliant on the sounds of vehicles to assess traffic patterns around them. This can help orient them to an intersection and aid in determining when it is safe to cross. Yes, tires can often (but not always) be heard when a vehicle is in motion but that sound does not exist when the vehicle is stopped at a stop sign or stop light. For a blind person, knowing that a vehicle is stopped at an intersection is every bit as important as knowing that a vehicle is moving through the intersection. But I wouldn't expect most sighted people to understand or appreciate this.

And yes, if my wife or her dog guide are injured/killed by someone who disabled the pedestrian warning because they felt it was "useless", I will absolutely pursue all legal avenues to their fullest extent.

I generally have no problems with the pedestrian warning being disabled offroad but this seems like something that would need to be done automatically based on GPS.
I appreciate the different perspective. Just to clarify, I’m not advocating tampering with the devices.

Just a clarification though, neither the US regulation for travel under 18.6 mph or the EU regulation for cars under 20 kph require sound when the vehicles are not in motion.

That would also be an issue for many newer ICE vehicles that turn off the engines when stopped and foot is on the brake.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I appreciate the different perspective. Just to clarify, I’m not advocating tampering with the devices.

Just a clarification though, neither the US regulation for travel under 18.6 mph or the EU regulation for cars under 20 kph require sound when the vehicles are not in motion.

That would also be an issue for many newer ICE vehicles that turn off the engines when stopped and foot is on the brake.
I didn't mean to suggest you were advocating for tampering, just offering a different perspective on the perceived uselessness of the warning.

I agree there are similar (lack of) noise issues with ICE vehicles so it's somewhat frustrating that the regulations are focused strictly on hybrid and electric.

I haven't looked at the EU regulation but there absolutely is a US requirement for the warning to be active when the vehicle is stationary, just not when parked. Even though I'm only citing 4-band, the conditions below apply to both 4-band and 2-band options.

Rivian R1T R1S TFL chops wood… Can Rivian R1T Survive a Hard Days Work & Hauling? 141_4band

Last edited:

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I didn't mean to suggest you were advocating for tampering, just offering a different perspective on the perceived uselessness of the warning.

I agree there are similar (lack of) noise issues with ICE vehicles so it's somewhat frustrating that the regulations are focused strictly on hybrid and electric.

I haven't looked at the EU regulation but there absolutely is a US requirement for the warning to be active when the vehicle is stationary, just not when parked. Even though I'm only citing 4-band, the conditions below apply to both 4-band and 2-band options.

141_4band.png
I wonder if the fact that the Rivian goes into 'Hold' when stopped would allow for the argument to be made that the gear selector is no longer in a position that provides forward vehicle propulsion, thus allowing for the sound to be disabled?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

141_4band.png
“Minimum sound for hybrid and electric vehicles.” So apparently there is no requirement for ICE vehicles that shut off at traffic lights, despite the fact that they meet the requirements in Section S5.1.1 ...?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I wonder if the fact that the Rivian goes into 'Hold' when stopped would allow for the argument to be made that the gear selector is no longer in a position that provides forward vehicle propulsion, thus allowing for the sound to be disabled?
No, this is logically no different than sitting at a stoplight with the vehicle in Drive and your foot on the brake.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
“Minimum sound for hybrid and electric vehicles.” So apparently there is no requirement for ICE vehicles that shut off at traffic lights, despite the fact that they meet the requirements in Section S5.1.1 ...?
Unfortunately, you are correct. As I stated above, I consider that a regulatory oversight. There are no similar requirements for ICE vehicles. Start/Stop systems are an obvious case which should be addressed as are modern vehicles that tend to idle extremely quietly.

On the plus side, many ICE vehicles tend to have noisy cooling fans which helps to a degree but this varies with factors such as ambient temperature, how long the engine has been running, etc so not the most reliable indicator.

I do find it frustrating that, whether it be safety issues like this or issues such as how to have all vehicles contribute fairly to the cost of maintaining roads, that regulators/legislators choose to tackle very niche parts of a bigger problem instead of tackling a problem holistically (ie, they focus on hybrid and BEV instead of passenger vehicles as a whole). I get that it's much easier to get agreement on small changes than it is larger sweeping changes but it does leave gaps such as the one you highlighted. So, while I understand why things play out the way they do, it is no less frustrating.

Ok, that's enough about pedestrian warnings and regulations for this thread.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

No, this is logically no different than sitting at a stoplight with the vehicle in Drive and your foot on the brake.
Logically that's false.

Legally it is not different. Logically it is. The Rivian does not move forward until the "gas" pedal is pressed. Regen braking keeps the vehicle stopped.

In an ICE, you need to actively press the brake pedal to prevent the vehicle from moving forward.
Sponsored