Sponsored

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
I am already in 23. If a $50K dual motor with cloth seat, metal roof, LFP, 280+ mile, 0-60 6 seconds, with the same suspension and towing capacity come out before my number is up, I would switch but I doubt anything becomes available until all reservations are delivered. My guess is low price items are probably targeted for the new factoy.
LFP batteries are cheap but less energy dense, so pretty much out of equation for a big rig. I am hoping for when solid state becomes a reality.
Sponsored

Reactions: Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
LFP batteries are cheap but less energy dense, so pretty much out of equation for a big rig. I am hoping for when solid state becomes a reality.
Before you know it, they will be growing on trees:

Iain Robinson

First Name
Iain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Great video. This is exactly what I usually use my truck for - hauling wood, hauling general shit up and down to the cabin. A little disappointed in the power of the outlets but I would bring my cordless power tools and not rely on the corded ones.

Great to see that only 8% of battery was used. That was a big load and I am very impressed.

Key takeaways, that hinge hole is going to be problematic with Debris especially with twigs, etc... too bad there wasn't a pass through where stuff would just fall to the bottom. Other than that it's a fantastic machine.

Thanks @TFLtommy.

Just wondering as to how much power would have been re-generated going back downhill with no load.

I suspect that it would have been considerably less!!!!!!!

Still a great video.

Cheers all, Iain R.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The point about the spare tire being hidden under the bed is valid, but it’s also such a low probability event.
An event for which one can easily prepare by removing the spare before loading and then strapping it to the top of the load.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Great to see that only 8% of battery was used. That was a big load and I am very impressed.
That's why they only used 8%. Had the load been bigger they would have used even less. Think about it.

Sponsored

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
I'm impressed with the testing so far. It's a good thing Tommy is lead on this as his dad Roman seems frozen in the ICE age.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm impressed with the testing so far. It's a good thing Tommy is lead on this as his dad Roman seems frozen in the ICE age.

I know there's little to no chance they'll let Tommy do all of the R1T's videos given the views they're probably getting. Especially because it doesn't seem like any other outlets are posting new coverage. But I think I'd find the day in the life stuff like this video more interesting than drag racing or going off roading in snow and ice conditions without dedicated winter tires.

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
I think that TFL is geared towards the mainstream viewer for the most part. They seem to focus on entertainment more than actual scientific testing of EVs. When it comes to actual testing that they do, their Ike Gauntlet and their Highway MPG testing is actually pretty good.

Others like Kyle Conner(Out of spec) and Tom Moloughney(State of Charge) are much more focused on testing EVs with consistent test criteria. They actually both do content for InsideEVs US.

All that being said. I enjoy all of their content.

The big takeaway from the TFL Off-roading video for me was that 7000 lbs. will slide down an icy hill even with snow rated tires. I was surprised that they didn’t loose total control and smack a tree.

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
In that section at the cliff edge, Tommy was worried about slipping off of it. That's tangentially related to something I'm somewhat concerned about with heavy EV trucks. Getting that added weight near the edge of a road on a slope just increases the risk of causing surficial slope failures.
Seems this would be a very good use case for an ability to use the suspension system to raise just one side of the truck, essentially leveling it out and making it less likely to slide towards or off the ledge.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Seems this would be a very good use case for an ability to use the suspension system to raise just one side of the truck, essentially leveling it out and making it less likely to slide towards or off the ledge.
You'd slide the same with one side raised.

Sponsored

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
You'd slide the same with one side raised.
That doesn't sound right. You'd be moving the center of gravity away from the edge.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That doesn't sound right. You'd be moving the center of gravity away from the edge.
I'd be surprised that it would change the center of mass horizontally any meaningful amount such that it would unload the outer wheels. That would require shifting the truck laterally relative to the wheels.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This video was excellent, great job Tommy. Soooo much better than snow off-roading video, like it's a completely different production company. My only suggestion is for Tommy to rock some Carhartts for the next Rivian outdoor video, and a bigger chainsaw, lol.The Toyota jacket doesn't quite cut it.
Rivian R1T R1S TFL chops wood… Can Rivian R1T Survive a Hard Days Work & Hauling? 1643047684664

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management